3 Service Warnings at Once

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sclymer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
While driving in light rain on the interstate at roughly 60 mph, I just had 3 service warnings come on all at once.

"Service Trailer Brake System"
"Service Air Suspension System"
"Service Electronic Braking System"

Truck is a 2017 Ram Rebel 1500 5.7 4x4 with around 81k miles. It also appears that the air suspension is 'locked' in aero mode, the cruise control is disabled, and the traction control light is illuminated on the dash.

I've checked the fuse box under the hood on the driver's side. All the fuses are good and I don't see any signs of corrosion. Any ideas what would cause all three service warnings to come on at once?

OP
OP
sclymer

sclymer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
*Update*

I disconnected the battery for >45 min, and then reconnected.

I then drove to our local O'Reilly auto parts to get the truck scanned for codes. On my way there, all the service messages cleared from the dash and all other symptoms involving the cruise control, air suspension height, and traction control light were resolved as well. I still had the manager at O'Reilly scan it to see if there were any stored codes; there were none..

I guess the problem is 'solved' for now. I will update again if this problem persists.

Last edited:

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's awesome!!
I was going to suggest doing the battery reconnect. Sometimes these modern day machines need a "reboot", if you will.

Good luck and good fix! :happy107:

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
They are and will still be stored as pending codes..
It was a good idea to check your fuse box for corrosion just because of your geographic location.
The other thing would be to check electrical ground connections under your truck and the trailer plugs that they are sealed and not corroded.

OP
OP
sclymer

sclymer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The issue has returned with all previous symptoms. My OBDII scanner is not detecting any codes.

Should just take it to the dealer?? Any ideas of what to check?

Last edited:

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L
Take a video then I would suggest the dealer while it is showing faults.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Get a multi-meter (volt meter) and check your battery output (battery cold, nothing on/doors closed). Sounds like a bad battery (well 1st thing I would check). (If battery registers under 12, well, U know). Battery should be between 12.4 to 12.6... The RAMS are notorious throw codes when battery going bad. IF U get it started, check again and see what alternator output is. Should be somewhere between 14.2 to 14.6/7, depending upon accessories, load.

Check all grounds and make sure good, not corroded, and cables on battery also.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
^^^^ This ^^^^
While you're at it connect the meter to the battery and watch while you're cranking it, you might need a helper to watch the meter while you crank. Voltage should not go below 9.6v if the battery is good. Do this on the 1st start of the day.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Longhorn
Engine
Cummins
I had something similar to this happen on a 2015 Ram 1500 eco diesel. I was driving in rain and hit a small water puddle and had several warnings pop up right away. Ended up being the main connector on the wiring harness underneath the truck on the frame. They pulled the connector apart and cleaned it and put it back together and everything was good again.

OP
OP
sclymer

sclymer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Get a multi-meter (volt meter) and check your battery output (battery cold, nothing on/doors closed). Sounds like a bad battery (well 1st thing I would check). (If battery registers under 12, well, U know). Battery should be between 12.4 to 12.6... The RAMS are notorious throw codes when battery going bad. IF U get it started, check again and see what alternator output is. Should be somewhere between 14.2 to 14.6/7, depending upon accessories, load.

Check all grounds and make sure good, not corroded, and cables on battery also.

With the truck off, the battery is reading 12.11 volts. With the truck running, I'm getting 14.7 volts.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OK, sounds like battery getting weak,. but enuf to turn over, IMHO. Goes under 12 volts, hmmmm, maybe a $200.00 purchase more or less, you may want to think about sooner than later. On MY 19 truck, my battery is OK, but getting weak, down to 12.26 volts cold, so I may be making a purchase soon.

The volts on alternator within range, IMHO, so U need to keep a watch on the battery. Suggest U turn off everything that does not need to be on when U shutdown, like auto ac and such. Again, I am not a Mechanic, so all above IMHO.

What is normal truck battery voltage?

Fully charged automotive batteries should measure at 12.6 volts or above. When the engine is running, this measurement should be 13.7 to 14.7 volts. If you don't have a multimeter to tell you the voltage of your battery, you can do a test of your electrical system by starting the car and turning on the headlights.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
In 2019 I bought a battery system analyzer. Nothing fancy, just a small meter with beefy clamps that can measure charging voltages and cranking voltage (basically a cheap Chinese battery tester). When I got it I tried it on my truck which was still under the 3/36 warranty. It was starting fine with no electrical issues. The meter said my voltage dropped to 9.4 volts when cranking. I verified it with a good fluke voltmeter which verified the low voltage. I took it to my dealer, they checked it and agreed it was bad and gave me a new battery under warranty. So OP's battery could be bad even though it starts fine.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A properly functioning battery needs AMPs as well as volts to start the vehicle. If the battery is original I'd say it's on borrowed time anyway. For some added insurance you may want to get it replaced. Who knows, that may be the problem from the get go. Just be advised though, depending on the scan rool you used to check codes, some may not read these newer vehicles.

OP
OP
sclymer

sclymer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have replaced the battery with an Odyssey AGM 94RH7L4 battery and driven the truck for >16 miles with the same service messages on the dash. The battery does not appear to be the end solution to this problem.

I'm guessing it's time to start unplugging wiring harnesses and checking for corrosion?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
New Batteries are only partially charged
I would connect up a charger, even a trickle charger & let the battery charge for 8 hours on a trickle charger or a minimum of 2 hours on a regular charger

I have done some research on battery chargers
I wanted one that was a Smart Charger & could charge either Gel batteries & Liquid.

For about $30

Last edited:
OP
OP
sclymer

sclymer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
New Batteries are only partially charged
I would connect up a charger, even a trickle charger & let the battery charge for 8 hours on a trickle charger or a minimum of 2 hours on a regular charger

I have done some research on battery chargers
I wanted one that was a Smart Charger & could charge either Gel batteries & Liquid.

For about $30
This is an AGM battery (must be AGM friendly 'trickle' charger) and was reading 12.6 out of the box. Currenty, cold, it's reading 12.69 v. I've driven to work for 2 days, (16 miles a day) and it still hasn't resolved itself.

Yesterday evening I checked ground wires and pulled harness plugs I could see under the hood and laying on my back under the truck. Everything I looked at is tight and clean. I then tried the battery disconnect again to reset the computer and I'm still seeing the same 3 service messages.

Any more ideas before I take it to the dealer?

RamDan95

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just had the same 3 messages appear on my truck after driving almost 20 miles on the highway and it became a very rigid ride with now suspension or cruise control for the remainder of the trip. And ideas of what’s causing this to happen?