315 75 16

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Gonna cut to the chase here. My rims are American Racing Nitros with the following dimensions...

Size: 16 x 8"
Offset: 0mm
Backspace: 4.5"

Question? Any issues with wanting to run the eponymous tire size? Rubbing while turning would be my biggest concern and I would prefer to avoid running spaces to fit them. Maybe 285/75/16 would be more practical?

Also looking to swap axle gears. The ratio I choose would depend on the tire size I opt for. 4.56 should work great for the 35-inchers, but 4.10 would probably be better for 32-33-inchers...right?

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Gonna cut to the chase here. My rims are American Racing Nitros with the following dimensions...

Size: 16 x 8"
Offset: 0mm
Backspace: 4.5"

Question? Any issues with wanting to run the eponymous tire size? Rubbing while turning would be my biggest concern and I would prefer to avoid running spaces to fit them. Maybe 285/75/16 would be more practical?

Also looking to swap axle gears. The ratio I choose would depend on the tire size I opt for. 4.56 should work great for the 35-inchers, but 4.10 would probably be better for 32-33-inchers...right?

I have to believe based on information I can glean from your profile, that you have no suspension mods.

If that's the case, a 285 sized tire is about the max I would recommend. Sure, you could try cramming some 315's under it, but the 1500 was never designed for that to happen. I'm sure some one will tell you that it can be be done, but in my experience, it isn't practical nor recommended. That's why 5 inch suspension packages were built.

My gear installer gave me some some sage advice I'll pass on.
" If you install 4:10's there will be times you'll wish you had a a bit more (lower gear). If you install 4:56's, there will be times you wish you had a bit less".
I have found his advice to be true.

OP
OP
Yeret

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Thanks for the pointers. Also, nice rig, Head Lice! What brand of fender flares are those? They look perfect.

Seen plenty of pictures and posts of people running 315's on factory suspension, but just because you CAN do it doesn't mean you SHOULD do it, right? If 285's are what's recommended as the max for stock suspension, I'll lean towards that route. Not that I have an aversion to a lift kit, but good ones aren't cheap and I've honestly, in all the years I've owned my truck, never felt that I need more ground clearance. I don't go mudding or off-roading (I mean, not yet anyway...), but the gravel I live back on gets pretty brutal during adverse weather. Good tires are quite invaluable out here.

Basically, in a nutshell, my desire outside of tires is to swap the gears for both performance and traction improvements as well as swapping the rear carrier with a Detroit TrueTrac, which should significantly improve my 2wd traction. Go quicker and get stuck less. Hard to beat that, eh?