Needing some help before installing mods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

acoffeefiend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
2016 Lonestar, Crew cab, 4x4, 5.7 hemi

ISo, I've bit the bullet and decided to build up my truck instead of buying a new one (it's cheaper).

1st Mod - will be 4.56 gears (Yukon front with carrier as they're the only ones that make it) Motive in the back with Trutrack diff. Will have it professionally installed.

2nd Mod -I lift (4"superlift with fox 2.5 coilovers, part # K1019FX), black Friday sale. Salesman said a 17" rim would work with a 4.5" Backspace. Just found the install instructions and it says no smaller than a 18" Rim. Install shop says this is due to new steering knuckles.

QUESTION 1: Does anyone have experience with this? Will a 17" tim work, or am I SOL and either get a different lift or get different wheels? Vendor hasn't gotten back to me.

3rd Mod - wheels and tires.... Method 703 bronze 17x9 -12 offset got the BF Goodrich KO2 315/70r17 load E, $347ea, but wondering if I made a mistake and shouldn't swap to 37x12.5x17... inputs welcome

QUESTION 2: I know I'll need to correct the computer for the tires. Will I need to correct for the gearing too? Also, what do I need to do this, Alpha ODB, Diablo support tuner, or other? Not planning on doing bolt on engine mods yet, maybe next year.

4th Mod - Road Armor Stealth pre-runner winch bumper and rear bumper.

5th mods - headlights, tow mirrors, PlastiDip remaining chrome, weathertech floormats.

Thanks for any advice as I'm new to8 in all of this. I'll post pics as I get it done.

Attachments

• 20231115_161821.jpg
    20231115_161821.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

Adamcr68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemifever 5.7
So, I've bit the bullet and decided to build up my truck instead of buying a new one (it's cheaper).
1st Mod - will be 4.56 gears (yukon front) motive back with trutrack diff. Will have it professionally installed.
2nd Mod -I lift (4"superlift with fox 2.5 coilovers). Haven't decided if DIY or take it somewhere.......
QUESTION 1: can someone give me an idea of the time involved to install this? I have access to an auto hobby shop that has a lift and all the tools I'd need. Or should I just take it to a shop? ( either way I'll have someone else do the allighnment.
3rd Mod - wheels and tires.... got the BF Goodrich KO2 315/70r17 load E, $347ea, but wondering if I made a mistake and shouldn't swap to 37x12.5x17... inputs welcome
QUESTION 2: I know I'll need to correct the computer for the tires. Will I need to correct for the gearing too? Also, what do I need to do this, Alpha ODB, Diablo support tuner, or other? Not planning on doing bolt on engine mods yet, maybe next year.
4th Mod - Road Armor Stealth pre-runner winch bumper and rear bumper.
5th mods - headlights, tow mirrors, PlastiDip remaining chrome, weathertech floormats.

Thanks for any advice as I'm new to all of this. I'll post pics as I get it done.
I can’t offer a lot of advice, there are a bunch of members here that can help you. I would add more info on your truck, 4x4, year & completely stock currently?
I not sure when but the front diff’s are sealed, you might have to replace front axle to do the gears. There are a few members running 37’s, might have to do some trimming up front to eliminate rubbing, a lot depends on wheel offset/back spacing.
Good luck, looks like you have a good truck & doing research first, so you’re off to a great start!

Attachments

• IMG_9567.jpeg
    IMG_9567.jpeg
    133.9 KB · Views: 13

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
1st Mod - will be 4.56 gears (yukon front) motive back with trutrack diff. Will have it professionally installed.
̶T̶h̶e̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶n̶t̶ ̶d̶i̶f̶f̶e̶r̶e̶n̶t̶i̶a̶l̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶'̶1̶6̶ ̶w̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶n̶e̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶c̶h̶a̶n̶g̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶m̶m̶o̶d̶a̶t̶e̶ ̶d̶i̶f̶f̶e̶r̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶g̶e̶a̶r̶s̶,̶ ̶I̶ ̶b̶e̶l̶i̶e̶v̶e̶ ̶i̶t̶'̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶m̶ ̶p̶r̶i̶o̶r̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶2̶0̶1̶0̶ ̶m̶o̶d̶e̶l̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶.̶
Let's see if @Quick_Shifter will chime in, he's extremely knowledgeable about what to use to lift these trucks. He's has a shop located in Pennsylvania.

Last edited:

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Id go 4.88 with 37s , Yukon has a kit now for the gen 4 front diff. But if you stick with 35s go 4.56 and a Gen 3 front diff swap. They are so much better and dont require a full rebuilt just to change the passenger stub shaft.

Lift Kit I can do in a day at home but I have a 2 post lift. If you havent done one before give yourself 2 days. You can put a lift kit on a ram with basic hand tools in a driveway no problem ;)

Dont forget the Clayton offroad 4 link and Panhard bar !

Last edited:
OP
OP
acoffeefiend

acoffeefiend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Id go 4.88 with 37s , Yukon has a kit now for the gen 4 front diff. But if you stick with 35s go 4.56 and a Gen 3 front diff swap. They are so much better and dont require a full rebuilt just to change the passenger stub shaft.

Lift Kit I can do in a day at home but I have a 2 post lift. If you havent done one before give yourself 2 days. You can put a lift kit on a ram with basic hand tools in a driveway no problem ;)

Dont forget the Clayton offroad 4 link and Panhard bar !
I don't know what a 4 link or panh ard bar is, but I'll look it up.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The front differential of your '16 will need to be changed to accommodate different gears, I believe it's one from prior to the 2010 model year.
Let's see if @Quick_Shifter will chime in, he's extremely knowledgeable about what to use to lift these trucks. He's has a shop located in Pennsylvania.
Yukon is making a gear change kit for the front diffs now
I was informed here:

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
At that price it should be a locker. Now that would've made me swap back to the Gen 4. ;)

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
A half ton ? 37s is asking for trouble Imho heavy foot big rubber = expensive bang and maybe a walk home. But it depends on how you use your truck. You are on the right path talk to people that use their truck like you want to use your truck. Ask what works and where you can save money by maybe not buying something you don’t need. Like 37s on a truck rarely gets dirty or goes off-road. But some times it’s just the looks that people are going for. Like 24 insh rims and skinny rubber bands for tires. Ok for the streets but not for the dirt

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A half ton ? 37s is asking for trouble Imho heavy foot big rubber = expensive bang and maybe a walk home.

Really ? Im one of the only few here that beats the living **** outa his truck for the lat 10Y on and Off-Road! Been on 37s for years. and 35s before that on 3.21 gears...lol...

A Dodge dosent need 37s to fail, They do that on their own... *****

Last edited:

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
So what kind of things have you blown up and what did you do to upgrade. My buddy has blown up the front cvs on his 1500 awd with stock wheels. That being said he drives like a d$&k so your experience may be different

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
Exactly the use will determine the mods you need or want

OP
OP
acoffeefiend

acoffeefiend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Is your truck going to be a pavement princess or what are you planning to do with it?
I'll be doing some light offloading. Really just want the capability if I need it. It currently has 3.21 gears, but had the option of 3.91 gears. Re-gearing calculator says going from 32" to a 35" tire a 4.10 should be equivalent of 3.91 with 32", and if I went to a 37" a 4.51 would be equivalent of a 3.91 with 32"......
So going to 4.56 I'll be good with either 35 or 37 gear wise for my needs.
I do plan on pulling a trailer occassionally, but nothing over 8,000#, which I did with 32"s and 3.21 gears

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
Tires wheels gears let the spending begin lol. Winch bumper rock sliders roof tent or canopy. Start there

OP
OP
acoffeefiend

acoffeefiend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Tires wheels gears let the spending begin lol. Winch bumper rock sliders roof tent or canopy. Start there
Front back bumper are planned out... 50% off Road Armor Stealth with winch sale by the end of the year...... I'm waiting as I missed the black Friday for that one due to still researching.

mrack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Personally then I’d go with 35s. You might be able to clear 37s, but not by much and then what happens when your suspension is flexed and your steering at full lock?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357