3500 Rear Air Suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
For $1,700 does this air bag system really work that great? Does it improve the ride any compared to just a leaf spring system? Getting ready to order a new truck & want to know if this system is worth the extra cost. I posted this in the towing section but failed to mention this is going to be on a 3500.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
I am pleased with it. The truck has less rake to it even in regular ride height, which is a plus for bed clearance, plus when loaded you can lower it another inch(?) to level it out.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Lots of people in the cold having issues after a few years. Search around on some sites ,and this one ,there’s lots out there.

OP
OP
68PowerWagon

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I am pleased with it. The truck has less rake to it even in regular ride height, which is a plus for bed clearance, plus when loaded you can lower it another inch(?) to level it out.
Well that is definitely a plus. These new trucks are so tall it is almost impossible to get a 5th wheel level. Have you ever owned a 3500 without the air? Wondering if the ride unloaded is really harsh. I have fell in love with the coils that are on my 2500. Great ride & I get very little squat when loaded.

OP
OP
68PowerWagon

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Lots of people in the cold having issues after a few years. Search around on some sites ,and this one ,there’s lots out there.
Seems like everything I have read the issues with the air system are on the 1500's not HD's

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Well that is definitely a plus. These new trucks are so tall it is almost impossible to get a 5th wheel level. Have you ever owned a 3500 without the air? Wondering if the ride unloaded is really harsh. I have fell in love with the coils that are on my 2500. Great ride & I get very little squat when loaded.
My '05 was a 3500 SRW, and my '15 was a 2500 w/coils. I can't really say the coil spring truck rode a ton better, TBH. My '19 is a dually, so it certainly would not be mistaken for a limo LOL. A buddy has a 3500 SRW with air ride, but I haven't spent any time in it.

Billet Bee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HOHD
It's flat out awesome sauce. Ive owned ram 3500s since back in the 90s and when I built my 2020 I needed the max tow pkg because we haul a 27,000lb fifth wheel, dude its awesome that's all I can say. Plus when empty and just tooling around, it does not ride like a stiff drw 3500, to us it rides like a car. Now if you fly over a speed bump with it then your going to feel the rear end bounce but just over all ride and handing, mine don't feel like your driving a hohd truck at all. I have zero regrets with ours and we gave the u.s. with it & our rv. We have experienced all kinds of weather and we personally have never had any cold weather adversely affect it at all. You won't regret the auto level, i think it's a must have

OP
OP
68PowerWagon

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
It's flat out awesome sauce. Ive owned ram 3500s since back in the 90s and when I built my 2020 I needed the max tow pkg because we haul a 27,000lb fifth wheel, dude its awesome that's all I can say. Plus when empty and just tooling around, it does not ride like a stiff drw 3500, to us it rides like a car. Now if you fly over a speed bump with it then your going to feel the rear end bounce but just over all ride and handing, mine don't feel like your driving a hohd truck at all. I have zero regrets with ours and we gave the u.s. with it & our rv. We have experienced all kinds of weather and we personally have never had any cold weather adversely affect it at all. You won't regret the auto level, i think it's a must have
Great! Thanks for that response! I think I will be checking that box on the build sheet then!

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did not order my truck i bought one the dealer had in stock. I just ordered a aftermarket kit and it set me back $1,200. the kit i ordered was a wireless blue tooth remote same as i have in my other truck. if it is only a $1500 add i Definitely would do it. once you use a air bag system you will never want something different down the road.

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I had it on my '17 dually and liked it so much, I made sure to get it on my '20.
Truck rides better. Both my 3500 dually's with rear air rode better than my Silverado 2500 without air.
I also like the that the bed stays level. I also tow multiple trailers and it will level out with whatever I hook up to it.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
For $1,700 does this air bag system really work that great? Does it improve the ride any compared to just a leaf spring system? Getting ready to order a new truck & want to know if this system is worth the extra cost. I posted this in the towing section but failed to mention this is going to be on a 3500.
I have the rear air leveling system on my 2015 3500. When I get ready to replace the 2015, I will definitely get the air leveling system again. Even with 3K pounds on its back, the truck maintains a constant rack and bi-lateral leveling. I can't comment on the ride differences as compared to the standard suspension, that is a hard one since I would need access to both with a fifth wheel on its back. A 3500 without a load rides hard and the ride quality is directly related to the quality of the roadway you are traveling.

As far as cold weather comments and workability I've seen posted, that issue is related to the 1500's four-corner air suspension system. A completely different animal.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I have the rear air leveling system on my 2020 3500.
It's the first truck I've had the system, and it works as advertised. Would order it again and recommend to anyone ordering a new truck.