3rd Gen Loose Steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kraizter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have been battling a loose steering issue on my 06 1500 for the past few months. I originally brought the truck in for alignment and tire balance but they would not do the alignment before replacing upper right ball joint, so I replaced that. Went back to the shop and they finally notice the loose wobbly steering issue and tell me I need to replace the rack and pinion before getting an alignment. I chased the looseness in the wheel down the column and everything was tight until the column reached the rack. At the rack, I could grab the shaft and wobble it back and forth about 1/2 a turn before it gripped. I read a lot on this forum about loose steering but seems like most the rack adjustments are not for 3rd gen. I was hoping to tighten the rack a 1/2 turn or so and make it until I need the other ball joints replaced. However, the rack does not have the standard Allen key adjuster, it is a recessed nut that requires matching up a nut to fit inside.

Does anyone have experience adjusting this rack and pinion? (size of the recessed nut?)

Also, how do I know if it's just time to replace the rack, rather than simply tightening it?

-kraizter

OP
OP
kraizter

kraizter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Follow up:
Could not find a nut to adjust the rack and since I had a reman rack sitting next to me I decided to swap it out. Since replacing the rack I have not had a chance to drive it as I have been waiting on an alignment. I did not notice any looseness in the tie rods but after replacing the whole rack and new outer tie rods, I can safely say the steering is much tighter and smoother. Thanks.