4Ω resistors on aftermarket dash speakers/headunit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BIGE1123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry if it gets longwinded LOL

Last year I replaced the dash and both sets of door speakers in my 15' 1500 but kept the factory HU without the alpine factory system. As advised I threw a set of 4Ω resistors inline so the dash speakers weren't so "bright".
Last weekend I replaced the factory HU with a Kenwood.... Should I take those 4Ω resistors off the dash speakers so they are wired as a normal speaker or leave them on? Would they still be too "bright/loud"?
The resistors are 4Ω/25w... IF they need to be left on, what are my options when I go and add a 4chan amp to this setup?

akrausz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As far as the resistors, the new HU will work the same. It cannot correct a volume imbalance between speakers sharing a channel.

With a four-channel amp, you have the option of running a new pair of speaker wires to either the dash or front doors, giving you two new channels. Then you can power the dash speakers with the HU, and power the door speakers with the four-channel amp. If you're lucky, that may balance the sound to your liking without the resistors.

Last edited: