4-Day Old 2022 3500 Limited with Steering Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

illyb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I did a fly and drive this past Thursday to pick up (finally!) the 2022 HO6.7 3500 DRW Limited I ordered back in February.

But the honeymoon was short lived… when driving the truck back home, the steering column began making a popping/clicking sound whenever the steering wheel was turned either left or right—even slightly. Looks like it’s time to take the new truck in for its first service visit after only four days and 750 miles.

I have seen similar posts referencing other model years of RAM trucks, but the posts don’t appear to isolate the root cause or fully discuss whether the issue was fixed properly by dealerships. Some owners report the cause was a faulty clock spring, some owners report the issue is caused by the lane keep assist system, etc.

Similarly, some owners report dealerships throwing grease at the problem, some owners report their clock spring being replaced, some owners report their entire steering column being replaced, etc. with varying degrees of success in resolving the issue.

Has anyone else with a 2022 HD experienced the steering column popping/clicking problem when the steering wheel is moved? Is this a known problem for the 2022 HD trucks? Maybe @RamCares can shed some light on the issue.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Sorry you are having issues already! This is my biggest fear. I have had mine ordered since January 31st, it was built June 14th, & I have yet to see it. For the time I have been waiting, I hope it comes to me in working order.

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
It might even be the upper column bearing. They use the cheapest bearings you could imagine in the columns.

RamGuy110

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 2500
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I did a fly and drive this past Thursday to pick up (finally!) the 2022 HO6.7 3500 DRW Limited I ordered back in February.

But the honeymoon was short lived… when driving the truck back home, the steering column began making a popping/clicking sound whenever the steering wheel was turned either left or right—even slightly. Looks like it’s time to take the new truck in for its first service visit after only four days and 750 miles.

I have seen similar posts referencing other model years of RAM trucks, but the posts don’t appear to isolate the root cause or fully discuss whether the issue was fixed properly by dealerships. Some owners report the cause was a faulty clock spring, some owners report the issue is caused by the lane keep assist system, etc.

Similarly, some owners report dealerships throwing grease at the problem, some owners report their clock spring being replaced, some owners report their entire steering column being replaced, etc. with varying degrees of success in resolving the issue.

Has anyone else with a 2022 HD experienced the steering column popping/clicking problem when the steering wheel is moved? Is this a known problem for the 2022 HD trucks? Maybe @RamCares can shed some light on the issue.
I often get what sounds like a "metallic clicking" noise in the steering column when turning or having to apply pressure to the wheel to stay in a lane on the freeway. Never had that in any other Ram of mine. 2022 3500 Limited as well but SRW. Its going in on Monday the 12th.

fkingpsuce

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I picked my 2022 3500 up on Monday. After 3 days of driving, mine is also making a metallic clicking noise when turning either side of straight. it’s a minor annoyance that is quickly becoming more annoying.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have 600 miles on my 22 2500 Limited Longhorn. It has the lane keep assist and all the other safety stuff. No steering column noise at all so far. I hope it's an easy fix for you.

ABORAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Hi, joined the forum to ask about this clicking issue. I have a brand new 2022 2500 Limited with the same issue. Started presenting a week after purchase. Can anyone who has successfully dealt with the issue, shine some light on this matter before my dealership appointment comes up? Thanks!

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I wonder if it is only a Limited thing? Maybe they have something in the column that the others do not? So far nothing like that on my Laramie.

OP
OP
I

illyb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I often get what sounds like a "metallic clicking" noise in the steering column when turning or having to apply pressure to the wheel to stay in a lane on the freeway. Never had that in any other Ram of mine. 2022 3500 Limited as well but SRW. Its going in on Monday the 12th.
Did you ever get your clicking issue resolved? If so, what was the fix? I never got my clicking fixed, but will be doing so now if a fix can be had.

I had my 2022 towed to a dealer last Friday because it wouldn't start. Dealer has had it for two full work days (I don't think anyone looked at it on Saturday) and they still have no idea how to fix it. So it seems I have an expensive doorstop on my hands.

There appears to be a "no start" recall out on my truck (that I cannot seem to find any information about online).
But for reasons unknown to me, Stellantis doesn't appear to be able to notify me about recalls. I am not sure why that is, since I am the only owner of the truck, and have owned it since August of last year.
For example ... until the truck was checked in for service at the dealer once unloaded off the wrecker, I had no idea there was a heater grid relay recall out on the truck that cannot be fixed because parts are not available for retrofit, only for factory install.
I guess Stellantis thinks RAM owners would rather be surprised their truck spontaneously catches on fire rather than know about the issue in advance.

OP
OP
I

illyb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Hi, joined the forum to ask about this clicking issue. I have a brand new 2022 2500 Limited with the same issue. Started presenting a week after purchase. Can anyone who has successfully dealt with the issue, shine some light on this matter before my dealership appointment comes up? Thanks!
Did you ever get your clicking issue resolved? If so, what was the fix? I never got my clicking fixed, but will hopefully be doing so now since my truck is at a dealership (see my post above).

OP
OP
I

illyb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I picked my 2022 3500 up on Monday. After 3 days of driving, mine is also making a metallic clicking noise when turning either side of straight. it’s a minor annoyance that is quickly becoming more annoying.
Did you ever get your clicking issue resolved? If so, what was the fix? I never got my clicking fixed, but will hopefully be doing so now since my truck is at a dealership (see my post above).

RamGuy110

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 2500
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Did you ever get your clicking issue resolved? If so, what was the fix? I never got my clicking fixed, but will be doing so now if a fix can be had.

I had my 2022 towed to a dealer last Friday because it wouldn't start. Dealer has had it for two full work days (I don't think anyone looked at it on Saturday) and they still have no idea how to fix it. So it seems I have an expensive doorstop on my hands.

There appears to be a "no start" recall out on my truck (that I cannot seem to find any information about online).
But for reasons unknown to me, Stellantis doesn't appear to be able to notify me about recalls. I am not sure why that is, since I am the only owner of the truck, and have owned it since August of last year.
For example ... until the truck was checked in for service at the dealer once unloaded off the wrecker, I had no idea there was a heater grid relay recall out on the truck that cannot be fixed because parts are not available for retrofit, only for factory install.
I guess Stellantis thinks RAM owners would rather be surprised their truck spontaneously catches on fire rather than know about the issue in advance.
No, that truck got traded in back in November. No clicking with the one I have now.