4 hours and $900 CAD to change spark plugs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Paddio

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had an engine warning light come on for a Cyl 1 misfire on my 2021 Ram E torque Big Horn. Because I have about 60,000km on it, I decided to bring to a Dodge dealer, hoping the issue was under warranty. The shop decided to change out all 6 spark plugs, hoping that was the fix, charging me 4 hours labor $540CAD, plus parts $228 for $770 plus tax. They stated that the spark plug change out fell under 'wear and tear' on the truck and not covered. I have been driving for a week after the fix and same issue, engine warning light, vibrating again when over 4000 rpm. My questions are, how long should it take to change the 6 spark plugs on this truck, 4 hours? And should changing out spark plugs on a 2 year old truck with 60,000km fall under 'wear and tear'? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Even though it is likely 100k mile plugs, chances are they needed a replacement. However, you went there for a mis fire, I think it would have been more appropriate to replace one plug on the correct cylinder and a half hour of labor. But in the end, you let them do this, lesson learned.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Did you authorise the fix and were you given a quote up front. Did you tell them to replace the plugs or did you ask themk to find and fix the mis-fire, becasue unless you really know what you are doing you are a lot better off letting them diagnose. If they said the plug replacement will fix the misfire, then you have a good arguement to get your money back AND to get them to do it right this time. If you told them to change the plugs, without asking how much, you are pretty much hooped. That said, 4 hours to change plugs, and nearly $40 bucks per plug, is highway robbery, and would be the last time I ever used that dealer after they actually fix the misfire.

OP
OP
P

Paddio

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Even though it is likely 100k mile plugs, chances are they needed a replacement. However, you went there for a mis fire, I think it would have been more appropriate to replace one plug on the correct cylinder and a half hour of labor. But in the end, you let them do this, lesson learned.
Thanks for the reply Burla. Does 4 hours labor to change 6 plugs on this type of truck make sense?

OP
OP
P

Paddio

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you authorise the fix and were you given a quote up front. Did you tell them to replace the plugs or did you ask themk to find and fix the mis-fire, becasue unless you really know what you are doing you are a lot better off letting them diagnose. If they said the plug replacement will fix the misfire, then you have a good arguement to get your money back AND to get them to do it right this time. If you told them to change the plugs, without asking how much, you are pretty much hooped. That said, 4 hours to change plugs, and nearly $40 bucks per plug, is highway robbery, and would be the last time I ever used that dealer after they actually fix the misfire.
Thanks for the reply Dean. I told them what my code reader stated the issue was and they confirmed same issue. The dealership told me that the first troubleshoot fix is to replace all spark plugs, quoted the price and stating "wear and tear is not covered". I was in a rush to get my truck back and not knowing any better, I gave the green light to fix. After getting truck back and still having same issue, I have had time to think about 4 hours being waaaay too long to replace plugs. So now I am asking questions, doing the homework......maybe too late for a break on that price though but was looking for conversation ammo that I intend to have with the service manager re: 4 hours.....

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It took the dealership 6 hours to replace a bracket for my column shifter. It was covered, but still 6 hours. That is just how they make their money.

OP
OP
P

Paddio

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did they indicate they had some diagnosis time in it?
Thanks for the reply.....the invoice just stats "general diagnosis starts at $135 CAD per hour" and "$540 for labor", so I did the math.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Seems excessive.... but if it included 1.5hours of shop time or 3 hours of shop time, then IDK. Plugs aren't overly expensive.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Thanks for the reply Dean. I told them what my code reader stated the issue was and they confirmed same issue. The dealership told me that the first troubleshoot fix is to replace all spark plugs, quoted the price and stating "wear and tear is not covered". I was in a rush to get my truck back and not knowing any better, I gave the green light to fix. After getting truck back and still having same issue, I have had time to think about 4 hours being waaaay too long to replace plugs. So now I am asking questions, doing the homework......maybe too late for a break on that price though but was looking for conversation ammo that I intend to have with the service manager re: 4 hours.....
If that is the pentastar V6, I believe they have to remove head to get to the plugs.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Well, the more interesting discussion is going to be why they changed the plugs, misfire is still there, and they let it out of the shop still throwing the code. If they did the diagnosis and it is wrong, then it is their problem. Even though you authorised the fix and quote, thus can't argue price at thisstage, that only applies if it actually fixed the issue. Them guessing at the fix and charging you big bucks isn't really how it works, but only if you stand up for yourself. Be polite, but also be firm. Escalate to Service Manager, the general manager, then owner, if need be. Dealership can't really expect you to shell out $900 and have that NOT fix the problem.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
If that is the pentastar V6, I believe they have to remove head to get to the plugs.
You believe incorrectly. They are actually quite easy to change, remove air box from throttle body, remove intake manifold, remove coils, take out plugs. Anyone that knows what they are doing should be able to do that in about an hour, maybe an hour and a half all in.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Thanks for the reply Burla. Does 4 hours labor to change 6 plugs on this type of truck make sense?
You see this kind of charge with hemi's as well, it is what it is. The back plugs take some time and care doing. We live in a new world, people have to plug in to these situations and ask a ton of questions, and get stuff in writing. I'm pretty sure it wasnt actually 4 hours, but rather a sheet that allows them to charge xyz per that job in general. I have never heard of removing heads for spark plugs, but I know sometimes guys will go through wheel well, but I must admit I do not know the spark plug procedure on your engine.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I run fuel system cleaner through my vehicles just before every oil change. With the crap gas we now have, it is surprising how often misfires are caused by injector or fuel systems getting crudded up. Any misfire, gas system cleaner would be the first thing I would try.

Tom Davis

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Seems very high to me. I just paid a $610 in may to have 16 plugs changed out. Can't begin to guess what the problem is, but seems like your dealership is really charging inflated prices.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I had an engine warning light come on for a Cyl 1 misfire on my 2021 Ram E torque Big Horn. Because I have about 60,000km on it, I decided to bring to a Dodge dealer, hoping the issue was under warranty. The shop decided to change out all 6 spark plugs, hoping that was the fix, charging me 4 hours labor $540CAD, plus parts $228 for $770 plus tax. They stated that the spark plug change out fell under 'wear and tear' on the truck and not covered. I have been driving for a week after the fix and same issue, engine warning light, vibrating again when over 4000 rpm. My questions are, how long should it take to change the 6 spark plugs on this truck, 4 hours? And should changing out spark plugs on a 2 year old truck with 60,000km fall under 'wear and tear'? Thanks in advance for any advice.

I'd guess around 2 hours. but if they add diagnosis, could reach 4 hours.
Cost for the plugs, seems reasonable. One, your in Canada, and two at a dealer. Sure you could have purchased 'cheaper' and/or cheaper brand.

It would have been better if you would have told them to just replace 1 on cyl that is misfiring. On the other hand, replacing the 6 now, got that over. Bad part is it didn't solve the issue.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
610 / 74 x 100 ...

In other words Tom paid 824 Canadian for that 610 us job.

Most of his job was labor, actually pretty close to what Tom paid.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Seems very high to me. I just paid a $610 in may to have 16 plugs changed out. Can't begin to guess what the problem is, but seems like your dealership is really charging inflated prices.

Unless you also had issue, that was diagnosed. you and him basically paid the same, if you convert the money.