4 wheel low

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Back to the original question, 4 low adds around 2.7 times the torque to the tires. I've been into off-road trucks and rock crawlers for 20+ years and it requiring more brake pressure to stop the trucks is common when in 4 low. I will say that I think the comments about having to stand on the brakes are a little exaggerated. At my previous job in automotive testing we had a group that did performance driving instruction. One of the lessons/tests they had were cars with the ABS disabled and they wanted people to go 50-60 mph and lock up the tires with the brakes so they learned how it felt. One of the biggest issues they had were getting people to simply hit the brake pedal hard enough to lock up the tires. The average person is so use to new cars that will stop in a regular distance with very little pedal pressure they have a hard time pushing the pedal hard enough.

Yea, its not an exaggeration for some. I have read complaints that the brakes literally would not even stop the truck in 4 lo.... like the pedal is to the floor, and the truck still going...

Alloway

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yea, its not an exaggeration for some. I have read complaints that the brakes literally would not even stop the truck in 4 lo.... like the pedal is to the floor, and the truck still going...

I would have to think if this were the case it would be covered by warranty. This has to be a safety issue that they would have to honor i would think.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
It’s basically summer down here! All trees are green, cutting grass and running A/C!! Fish are on the bed and gobblers are gobbling for hens! Oh yeah, rattlesnakes are out of their holes. Build a snowman for me!!

In leveling a side of my trailer trailer to put a tire up on some wood blocks last summer out in remote Central Nevada, off of a dirt road, I put the truck into 4 low. It was late at night and it was pitch dark which didn't help. Being tired I kept forgetting to push really hard on the brake, but no matter how hard I put my foot down on that brake with the additional trailer weight I kept slamming between neutral to drive and reverse. The truck would creep ever so slightly forward and back during shifting. Needed to do a leg press to keep it from shifting hard between the gears, but it still slightly slammed into them. Doubt that I would have the same issue if the Power Wagon had a manual transmission like in my K1500, no matter what the engine torque. However my K1500 V8's torque is 285 foot pounds, not 429 like my Power Wagon.

ALRedneck, it's 6:30 AM Mountain Time. Yesterday I saw that the trees are beginning to bud, the grass is turning green, and it appears like Spring with the birds chirping. I was wearing insulated overalls and a parka while installing 100 yards of fencing. Later came the snowflakes and a cold hard wind. It's 10 degrees Fahrenheit here right now and 0 in Alma, Colorado. It's still really darn cold outside! This is our Spring.

OP
OP
Buttyman

Buttyman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for all the responses. Glad others experience the same thing. Do you think it could be that the stall speed for the torque converter is too high? I wonder if that could be adjusted on the computer?