46re valve body removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MoparAidan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Hey everyone I’m new to posting to the forums so bare with me but I’m getting ready to pull the valve body out of my 46re. I’m pulling it to try to diagnose my o/d and lockup issues I did have a p1740 code but it cleared itself but the problem still persists. I’ve never pulled a VB but i installed the transmission so I’m sure I’ll be able to figure it out. I’ve done a lot of research on this topic already but I’m still questioning wether or not it’s easier to pull the parking rod out of the back of the trans or to remove the e-clip in the VB, I’ve seen both ways reinstalling that e-clip looks like a major pain so what’s better? Also what gear should the trans be to remove the VB? Everything else seems pretty straight forward so any help and tips would be greatly appreciated

Tonygalo08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know this is a late reply but let me give my 2 cents. I am trans builder for nearly 40 years now and let me say, it is truly your preference on which way to pull the VB. I personally leave the rod on the VB and pull it that way. I have never been able to get that E clip back on. It doesn't matter what gear the VB is in it only matters that the parking pawl is in the park position. In other words, the rod has to pull through the pawl and park gear from back to front. You may have to slowly turn the drive shaft till the VB and rod comes through. Hope this makes sense....
T