47RE tranz

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

qaudman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 l
Hi everyone , need a stupid question answered if you can help ? Dose the 47Re tranz have a clutch pack in the transmission itself ? Or is it just the hub bands that get adjusted every 24000 miles ? I know that my torque converter is shot , But im debating on replacing the hole tranz with an ATS tranzs from thoroughbred diesel . I already put an ATS valve body and deep sump tranz pan last year . However im still slipping a little bit between 1st and 2nd gear ? then when going into 3rd and 4th the truck takes off like a bat out hell ???

I think there is no clutch pack in my tranz and its just the hub band , valve body , and torque converter that handle all the shifting ? Am I right ???

Thanks Quadman

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hi everyone , need a stupid question answered if you can help ? Dose the 47Re tranz have a clutch pack in the transmission itself ? Or is it just the hub bands that get adjusted every 24000 miles ? I know that my torque converter is shot , But im debating on replacing the hole tranz with an ATS tranzs from thoroughbred diesel . I already put an ATS valve body and deep sump tranz pan last year . However im still slipping a little bit between 1st and 2nd gear ? then when going into 3rd and 4th the truck takes off like a bat out hell ???

I think there is no clutch pack in my tranz and its just the hub band , valve body , and torque converter that handle all the shifting ? Am I right ???

Thanks Quadman
No. You would be incorrect. There are two sets of clutches in the transmission. There is a set of clutches in the front clutch retainer. The front band is wrapped around the front clutch retainer.

There is also a set of clutches in the rear clutch retainer.

These are the clutches inside the transmission along with the front and rear bands. Inside the overdrive unit there is the 4th gear clutches and the direct clutches.

If you are experiencing slipping on the 1-2 upshift, this could indicate a problem with the front band or the rear clutches. If the front band is too loose or burnt you will experience the 1-2 upshift flare.

What you are feeling when the trans shifts into 3rd and 4th gears is the torque converter clutch application and the engine starts pulling really hard and you accelerate alot faster.

I would take a look at the front band adjustment and see where it is at. I like to set the band apply lever 1/4" away from the ball in the servo. I have always set mine this way and have never had a single issue. You can set it by the specs in the service manual if you like. Just my opinion.

OP
OP
Q

qaudman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 l
Thanks for your reply fast , I put in a ATS valve body and a BD deep sump aluminum pan in the summer of 2018 . I bought the truck bran new in 2002 . Its has 91,000 easy miles , never plowed with it , only a little light duty towing with my boat 4500 pds

I did the work above because the truck was starting to loose its balls between 1st and 2nd gear . I know the 47RE is known for poor line pressure and ATS told me it should solve my problem upgrading to there reworked valve body . Of course i did both band adjustments to factory specs when all was apart . The kit also came with the larger solenoid upgrade . after all was said and done it was pretty much back to normal .

A few thousand miles later the truck starting roaming or hunting between 3rd and 4th gear especially going uphill . After reading the forums on this topic I installed the noise supression wire kit from BD diesels . It helped with the problem a little but the converter is not locking up properly the way it should which is why I belive the converter is shot or on its way out .

Its not like any of us like to spend waistfull money on our trucks but it might make sence if im upgrading the converter , dose it just make sence to upgrade the tranz as well ??

Im looking to purchase a fithwheel toyhauler this summer and I want to tow it with confidence .

Ive just put so much money into my truck over the years and with only 91,000 miles its here we go again 4000.00 .

Any input from you guys would be great