4th Gen 5" radio upgrade to an Android Radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DarbyOhara

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 2500 Tradesman Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
6.4L V8 OHV 16V FI Engine w/VVT
Hi. I tried to scour these threads to find help, but anything I found about android radio was pretty old, or it was about the Tesla (Infotainment/Phoenix radios). I don't see anything related to an installation help on youtube for a 2018 RAM in detail. I have the 2500, but it should be similar for all 4th Gen RAMs I assume.

My issue is kinda two-fold. What harness do I need for my 2018 RAM 2500 5" Uconnect to upgrade to a newer android with the bells and whistles? And what feature will I lose, or is there some place I can search this? Or is it different for every radio/harness for any non-datalink radios?

I spoke long with a crutchfield rep and of course they tried to convince me to getting an expensive datalink compatible radio. I had already purchased a Eonon 10" android from Amazon, but needed the proper wiring harness and assistance hooking it up. The Chinese Eonon folks just reply, "go search Internet for your vehicle." NOT!

At the recommendation of one guy on youtube working on a RAM, I purchased the RDBS harness which had a compatible plug. I wanted to start hooking the wires and I noticed that it only had the 4 speaker wires a black wire, a yellow wire and a separate red wire. Nothing else. Plus many customer reviews stated that a few of the wires were backwards and too confusing. I returned it!

After tons of searches, I found the PAC RP4-CH21 would possibly work. I asked the crutchfield rep and they said it MIGHT work, but I would lose important truck features such as the parking sensors, backup camera and possibly some of my steering wheel controls to name a few. I got so depressed, I sent the android radio back to get my $350 returned before I lose it. So is there some place I can find out what features I will actually lose if I go with a non-i datalink android radio. (I am not interested in an expensive Tesla unit). There are many on amazon (Eonon, Atoto, etc.) that are priced well. Please don't lecture on chinese cheap... I am aware.

I remember watching one pro on youtube hooking up a Kenwood radio to a 2018 RAM and he was using the Metra i-datalink harness. It WAS NOT a straight color to color connection. He was really fast, but there were some wires that were doubled or more. And some that the colors didn't match. I really believe there is a terminology problem between radio manufacturers, harness companies and RAM manufacturer radio diagram. He was a pro and knew what to do. Any help will be appreciated. And sorry for the long post. I wanted to be sure I made myself clear. Thanks so much.

Donn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OP
OP
DarbyOhara

DarbyOhara

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
One of these two threads (or both) should help you out. Be prepared to read a little. There is a lot of info depending what features, setup and system you are changing FROM and going TO.

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/info-2013-2018-8-4a-an-fw-notes-ra3-vp3-na-ra4-vp4-na-uax.73871/

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/how-to-install-a-2018-4c-uaq-uas-radio-in-2013-2017-ram.116140/

Donn, those threads are huge reading. First is 144 pages and the second is 344 pages. And they are focused mainly on the RAM Uconnect radios. I have read through quite a few of those pages when at one time I was going to upgrade to a 8.4. But I decided I didn't want to go that route. If there is something about android in that cluster, I can't find it easily. My simple question is which proper wiring harness do I need for a aftermarket android radio such as Atoto, Eonon, etc. for my 2018 RAM 2500 5" Uconnect? Surely someone knows and done this. Although there is nothing on youtube that details the process. And with the wiring harness, which features would I lose, if known?

OP
OP
DarbyOhara

DarbyOhara

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok, nevermind. I found that video which shows (fast) details of hooking up the wires on the PAC wiring harness. Although the guy installed a i-datalink Pioneer radio, it should be similar for any aftermarket android.

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
Save yourself all the headaches and completely forget about the Chinese android radios, or any other country that makes them. They are nothing but garbage. You think it's a pia now just trying to hook it up.... Wait until it starts glitching.

Just go get a double din kenwood or pioneer unit with android auto/carplay. Very simple hook up in your truck. All you need is a idata link radio from kenwood or pioneer, a maestro rr, and a ch3 harness. It's all color coded, matches right up... Unless you get an alpine radio, they are oddballs and didn't use standard color wires.

You will also need a dash kit to mount the radio in your dash. You are lucky that you don't have an 8", the kit is cheaper for your radio.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
DarbyOhara

DarbyOhara

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Save yourself all the headaches and completely forget about the Chinese android radios, or any other country that makes them. They are nothing but garbage. You think it's a pia now just trying to hook it up.... Wait until it starts glitching.

Just go get a double din kenwood or pioneer unit with android auto/carplay. Very simple hook up in your truck. All you need is a idata link radio from kenwood or pioneer, a maestro rr, and a ch3 harness. It's all color coded, matches right up... Unless you get an alpine radio, they are oddballs and didn't use standard color wires.

You will also need a dash kit to mount the radio in your dash. You are lucky that you don't have an 8", the kit is cheaper for your radio.

Well, I appreciate your feedback and obviously see you are not a fan of chinese android radios. I must disagree somewhat... first, they are ALL made in China. Many manufactures actual have pretty good quality control. Lastly, I just searched several Kenwood, Pioneer, JVC, Jensen, Sony... EVERYONE has issues just like the so-called garbage ones. After years of research, it seems to me that the folks that praise those expensive Chinese radios are the same folks that paid $1k for a radio that I can get for under $300 and do alot more. Since those expensive ones have lots of issues too... I'd rather chance the 30 day return or lose less than $300 rather than $1k. And maybe those expensive Chinese companies might move into the 21st century and adopt phonelink and drop that crappy car play baloney! Sorry to sound negative, but you initiated the debate w/o any credibility... just search the feedbacks on amazon. They ALL have issues!

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
Well, I appreciate your feedback and obviously see you are not a fan of chinese android radios. I must disagree somewhat... first, they are ALL made in China. Many manufactures actual have pretty good quality control. Lastly, I just searched several Kenwood, Pioneer, JVC, Jensen, Sony... EVERYONE has issues just like the so-called garbage ones. After years of research, it seems to me that the folks that praise those expensive Chinese radios are the same folks that paid $1k for a radio that I can get for under $300 and do alot more. Since those expensive ones have lots of issues too... I'd rather chance the 30 day return or lose less than $300 rather than $1k. And maybe those expensive Chinese companies might move into the 21st century and adopt phonelink and drop that crappy car play baloney! Sorry to sound negative, but you initiated the debate w/o any credibility... just search the feedbacks on amazon. They ALL have issues!

Fyi amazon reviews are the worst possible place to go. 99% of the time, that is someone with a good quality name brand headunit, that lacks the knowledge to properly install it. Most of the time they complain that they can't hook it up without special adapters.... Duh... Cars are smart now, avg the audio system is tied into the canbus. I have installed radios in cars since i was in my early teens, that's almost 30 years of experience. It's much harder now.
This android radios aren't ALL made in china. Research a bit more there are some made in mexico, and some built right in the united states.... Are they any better... Not really. Still garbage.
I can tell you 100% that you buy and install properly a kenwood, jvc, pioneer, or alpine, and you will have a radio that works flawless first try unless you make a mistake installing it. The android radios.... Good luck, they are a part time job just getting them to work correctly. But hey, if you want to waste 300 on garbage vs 500 to 800 on quality... It's your money to burn. Oh and another fyi... Your 300 android radio is going to be far lower quality to the 600-1000 android radios.... Read all the numerous forums and you will see that clearly.

OP
OP
DarbyOhara

DarbyOhara

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Fyi amazon reviews are the worst possible place to go. 99% of the time, that is someone with a good quality name brand headunit, that lacks the knowledge to properly install it. Most of the time they complain that they can't hook it up without special adapters.... Duh... Cars are smart now, avg the audio system is tied into the canbus. I have installed radios in cars since i was in my early teens, that's almost 30 years of experience. It's much harder now.
This android radios aren't ALL made in china. Research a bit more there are some made in mexico, and some built right in the united states.... Are they any better... Not really. Still garbage.
I can tell you 100% that you buy and install properly a kenwood, jvc, pioneer, or alpine, and you will have a radio that works flawless first try unless you make a mistake installing it. The android radios.... Good luck, they are a part time job just getting them to work correctly. But hey, if you want to waste 300 on garbage vs 500 to 800 on quality... It's your money to burn. Oh and another fyi... Your 300 android radio is going to be far lower quality to the 600-1000 android radios.... Read all the numerous forums and you will see that clearly.

ZERO credibility to everything that you say. Sorry dude... NONE of those expensive crap radios (Kenwood, JVC, Sony, etc etc) are made in Mexico. They are "MADEIN CHINA" or the parts that put them together!

YOU go research. And I already told you I've been researching for YEARS... so you are two-steps behind me imo. And I am NOT brain-dead to reading amazon feedback. I can clearly see who is an idiot, and who is reliable. I will agree, car audio wiring and hook-up has become more advanced... but as I have seen on several amazon feedback, if the person says they been a pro installer for years, and then clearly shows they know what they are talking about.. I do not call that crap!

Just so you know, 2 years ago I was going to upgrade my RAM to the 8.4 conversion. I had ALL the parts purchased and ready. The M2 v.2 harness, the bezel, heater module... etc. I just could not find a decent deal on the UAQ or UAV radio for under $800. Sorry, but THAT is NOT worth it! I sold the parts and quite searching after more than a year! So my new 10.0 android GARBAGE radio will be here tomorrow. I paid less that $200. It has everything I want and require. I am old-school audiophile.. so I don't mess with JUNK stuff like Sirrus. My music collection is ALL FLAC! Real rock n' roll. A time when song creation meant something as a real artist. Not garbage hip-hop baloney in most new music. My blood boils when my wife turns on American Idol, or Voice crap. But being the calm collective husband, I torture myself and sit and watch with her... lol.

Sorry for the long rant... and wish me success in my new 10.0 android! if it fails after 30 days... Not a huge loss. Be well...

Dr. Righteous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The post below was my android head unit install from about 3 years ago. I ran into a lot of nay sayers saying Chinese made Android head units are junk, blah blah blah. I'm here to say it has worked 100% with no problems since day 1. Hope this is helpful.

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/android-head-unit-install.120906/

I'm in the process of a big power upgrade going to about 1800w (real power) total with 2 separate amps. I would like to swap out the head unit also only because this model is pretty old and I would like one with a DSP as well as being compatible with Android Auto. Also I would like a larger screen and I'm thinking 9-10 inch.

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
ZERO credibility to everything that you say. Sorry dude... NONE of those expensive crap radios (Kenwood, JVC, Sony, etc etc) are made in Mexico. They are "MADEIN CHINA" or the parts that put them together!

YOU go research. And I already told you I've been researching for YEARS... so you are two-steps behind me imo. And I am NOT brain-dead to reading amazon feedback. I can clearly see who is an idiot, and who is reliable. I will agree, car audio wiring and hook-up has become more advanced... but as I have seen on several amazon feedback, if the person says they been a pro installer for years, and then clearly shows they know what they are talking about.. I do not call that crap!

Just so you know, 2 years ago I was going to upgrade my RAM to the 8.4 conversion. I had ALL the parts purchased and ready. The M2 v.2 harness, the bezel, heater module... etc. I just could not find a decent deal on the UAQ or UAV radio for under $800. Sorry, but THAT is NOT worth it! I sold the parts and quite searching after more than a year! So my new 10.0 android GARBAGE radio will be here tomorrow. I paid less that $200. It has everything I want and require. I am old-school audiophile.. so I don't mess with JUNK stuff like Sirrus. My music collection is ALL FLAC! Real rock n' roll. A time when song creation meant something as a real artist. Not garbage hip-hop baloney in most new music. My blood boils when my wife turns on American Idol, or Voice crap. But being the calm collective husband, I torture myself and sit and watch with her... lol.

Sorry for the long rant... and wish me success in my new 10.0 android! if it fails after 30 days... Not a huge loss. Be well...

Again.... You are full of assumptions about me... I had looked into the sharp Android radios when i had my 2011 f150 with its garbage Microsoft sync junk in it. So you don't have 2 steps on me, that's almost 10 years of looking at this junk to put in a ford, a jeep avg then not even bother for the ram. I didn't say the name brand radios are made in mexico, pay attention ages you will see i said some of the android radios are. As for the real brands, kenwood, jvc, Pioneer, all made in Japan, not China. Alpine is the only one that actually has one of its plants in China. As for parts, yes, everything on the damn planet now pretty much has already one part from china. As for upgrading your truck to a stock 8.4, no it's not worth it. That's what cans in my truck, she i chose the bade system because i knew before i bought it wasn't staying. I co-owned a car audio business right after highschool. My buddy and i did it kind of as a second job unofficially for a few years then in 2002 we made the business official. 6 years of installs ages selling equipment before a local company bought the business. So i believe my credibility stands right there, a few thousand installs and sales. I sold good stuff, i sold a junk line too, made in China with a brand name i can barely pronounce. lol
I could care less for any of that junk from sirius xm, pandora... Etc. Give me my android auto with spotify, As my 4tb hard drive full of old school music, that's all i need.

Last edited:

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
The post below was my android head unit install from about 3 years ago. I ran into a lot of nay sayers saying Chinese made Android head units are junk, blah blah blah. I'm here to say it has worked 100% with no problems since day 1. Hope this is helpful.

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/android-head-unit-install.120906/

I'm in the process of a big power upgrade going to about 1800w (real power) total with 2 separate amps. I would like to swap out the head unit also only because this model is pretty old and I would like one with a DSP as well as being compatible with Android Auto. Also I would like a larger screen and I'm thinking 9-10 inch.
You are definitely one of the few with a flawless install.
What are your plans for a big system? Equipment-wise....

Dr. Righteous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You are definitely one of the few with a flawless install.
What are your plans for a big system? Equipment-wise....

I've been running a NVX 5 channel amp that drove everything for a few years now. Sub was a single Pioneer 10 Champion series. GREAT sub for the money. I actually wanted to get a 2nd one but they are out of production now and nobody has them.
The NVX only put out about 400w on the sub channel and I have always wanted to venture into the 1000w range for sub power. I'm a "bang for the buck" guy and not married to particular brands. So after doing some research I decided on some equipment from Rockville.
I've got 2 Rockville 10" k6 subs that will handle a real 500w each. These things are monsters that weigh about 18 lbs each. Got a B-box enclosure fits under the rear seat. The compromise is this is at the limit of enclosure size minimum size for the subs at 0.6 cu ft per sub. But there just isn't room for anything else unless I remove the back set and make my quad cab a 2 seat vehicle. For the sub amp I've got a Rockville DB14 that puts out a real 1KW mono. To drive the mids/highs I went with the Rockville DB45 which is a 4 channel A/B amp. That one puts out a real 140w per channel into 4 ohms which is ideal for mids/highs. The DB45 will also run at 2 ohms per channel and 200w x4 but 4 ohms is fine. The Pioneer sub and the NVX amp will go into an install for my son's car.
The Android head unit will probably be the last thing I upgrade since it works well for now.
I'm for sure not a sound competition guy. But I like a system with clean sound quality and power to spare.

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
0.6 cubes for those subs, I'm guessing sealed for it to be that low. I prefer sealed as i tend to listen to alot of clasdic rock and old & new country. Sealed shines for that stuff. Have you put any cotton batting in your box? It will slide air movement inside the box, essentially working like a slightly larger box.

Dr. Righteous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
0.6 cubes for those subs, I'm guessing sealed for it to be that low. I prefer sealed as i tend to listen to alot of clasdic rock and old & new country. Sealed shines for that stuff. Have you put any cotton batting in your box? It will slide air movement inside the box, essentially working like a slightly larger box.

The subs would be a great for a ported box at 1.8 cu ft per sub. the 3db down point was 20hz. That is really getting low. But in a vehicle you really can't hear freqs that low. What you hear is the rattles and buzz of the vehicles interior so it really is not practical.
I learned a lot about cabinet building helping a buddy build experimental speaker cabinets back in the 80s. He once built a ported 18" sub for his listening room. The cabinet was the size of a refrigerator. He had a monstrous Dynaco amp he drove it with. He was pretty disappointed because he really didn't get the low end sound he wanted from it.
He lived in a small rented house and we figured out the room was just too small for those kind of low frequencies. So we picked it up and carried it out side and listened to it. It really came to life. The lows were unreal. After a few minutes of this the neighbors next door came out of their house and looked around with a bewildered look on their face. The sub was rattling the windows and doors on their houses.

OP
OP
DarbyOhara

DarbyOhara

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, I seen the ATOTO A6 had pretty good reviews. I did get my Eincar 7" Android and to my disappointment, I couldn't get it to fit into the Metra bezel. In fact I almost ruined the volume knob trying to force it. I was not in the mood to do any cutting on the plastic bezel, so I returned it. I am back searching again and like Dr Righteous, I am leaning more for a 10" screen. But as I search, it is getting difficult to find one that has everything I want. I have to a lot of time reading the details because many of those sellers limit the description. A few got close like Vanku. But as I read and dig... many of them don't come with an external mic. wtf! or it only supports older android phones (and apple), although it has android 9.0 or 10.0. I just don't understand that. I also need a decent DSP. Sound is rather important.

One of the things with android o.s. is that you have to reset occasionally to clear up the cookie cluster and garbage crap that these linux systems are notorious for. I am sure THAT is why the android gets a bad rap after some time. But I am persistant and I'll keep searching.

As far as the baloney about those expensive radios made in Japan.. WRONG! At least, not anymore. For example Kenwood. The company has passed through several owners since its foundation, and is now owned by De'Longhi. Following the end of UK production in Havant, Kenwood manufacture has taken place in China since 2002. Pretty sure most of the others are the same. Doesn't cost much to use google to find out instead of rifling out baloney!

That said... I appreciate the responses. I kinda been a tech nerd since the 70's; building my own computers from scratch. Self-taught C programming. Had my share of disassembly and reassembly failure.. lol. So I think I'll be ok maintaining an android system in my truck. Be cool!

OP
OP
DarbyOhara

DarbyOhara

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just to let anyone else interested to know, I really wanted a good 10" system that was kind hard to find that had everything I required in a newer android. With Dr Righteous post that he had an older A6, I decided to look at ATOTO's selection. They actually have a A6 Pro in 10" now. I read the specs and it has everything I wanted in features, and then some. It's model A6Y1021PRB-G for $299 right now. Anyone interested in moving to an android with a reputable company like ATOTO, check this puppy out for features!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CMY617K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am scheduled to get it Saturday and will install shortly after! I'll try to post an update of my expectations and/or PROS and of course any CONS if I find them. I am not a very good video recorder producer. But I wish I could find one on my exact truck doing a ATOTO system. Esp. the detailed wiring on a PAC-RP4-21. Most youtube are on the 11. Anyway, wish me luck! peace!

Herb Tarlic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6L
Just to let anyone else interested to know, I really wanted a good 10" system that was kind hard to find that had everything I required in a newer android. With Dr Righteous post that he had an older A6, I decided to look at ATOTO's selection. They actually have a A6 Pro in 10" now. I read the specs and it has everything I wanted in features, and then some. It's model A6Y1021PRB-G for $299 right now. Anyone interested in moving to an android with a reputable company like ATOTO, check this puppy out for features!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CMY617K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am scheduled to get it Saturday and will install shortly after! I'll try to post an update of my expectations and/or PROS and of course any CONS if I find them. I am not a very good video recorder producer. But I wish I could find one on my exact truck doing a ATOTO system. Esp. the detailed wiring on a PAC-RP4-21. Most youtube are on the 11. Anyway, wish me luck! peace!

update?

troyicid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok, nevermind. I found that video which shows (fast) details of hooking up the wires on the PAC wiring harness. Although the guy installed a i-datalink Pioneer radio, it should be similar for any aftermarket android.

OP
OP
DarbyOhara

DarbyOhara

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Ok, apologize that I am so late in updating this post. I had many issues going on... mainly health issues. Along with many debugging, troubleshooting, researching, etc. I am at a stopping point of the A6 install. After back n forth talks with Atoto tech folks, PAC tech folks, Crutchfield tech folks; what I think I found out is that the 2018 RAM's are unique in the OEM radio harness and the RP4-CH21 isn't going to work for any aftermarket radio. We established that the Red wire ACC in the factory harness is not ACC 12 volts. Something about it is controlled by the CANBUS. So I had to connect that to the cigarette lighter +. No a big deal, but it still wasn't operating right. When I turn off the ignition, the radio goes blank, but shows a yellow exclamation symbol... then mysteriously comes back on. I have to manually turn it off. The PAC tech claims that this harness should work for my truck. I am thinking otherwise. I am also thinking that the yellow wire BATT that is hooked from the A6 to the harness (which is hooked to the OEM truck harness... isn't proper either. That puppy must be somehow controlled by the CANBUS too, I am assuming. I seen one thread somewhere in my research on this harness, that the guy stated the PAC harness had the yellow and the black reversed. I am not sure how to test that because it is a puzzle looking at the PAC harness... but if it was reversed, wouldn't that mean the radio shouldn't even power up. But it is strange that my A6 won't shut off normally.

Oh! Atoto tech folks tell me that yellow exclamation symbol upon shut down is related to the backup camera. Although the backup camera is working just fine, they asked me what the model was of the camera... *shrug* I told them it is the stock backup camera that came with the truck from the factory. They want me to disconnect the camera's reverse wire and see if that resolves the yellow exclamation symbol. I haven't tried that yet because I want to get the power off corrected first. And I think I need a different harness for this particular truck. Also, the Atoto tech said that because of that yellow exclamation at shut down, it could be damaging my battery. Great! So the radio sits unhooked up for now.

If I go to the Metra website and try to lookup a wiring harness for my 2018 RAM 2500, they claim there is no harness available for this truck. Grrrrrr!

So I am again at a dead-end. I know for a fact the RP4-CH21 isn't working for me. I think I am going to try the Metra XSI-6523-NAV. Metra says it isn't compatible for my particular truck. Crutchfield shows it won't work... but the plug look like it will fit. I watched a video of a guy using it on a 2019 Classic. So maybe it might work. I'd like to hear/see some feedback from you experts before I go throwing another $70 on a harness that just "might" work.

OP
OP
DarbyOhara

DarbyOhara

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok, the saga continues. I took a perfectly new install aftermarket android radio from another vehicle, connected all the wires using cloth electrical tape and the PRO4 harness. Plugged it in and up boots the radio. Searched on a FM station.. got sound. Placed in reverse, backup camera is working. Turned off ignition... screen went blank BUT it had that yellow exclamation symbol. After about 8 to 10 seconds, it powered back on with the key off. So it wasn't the Atoto A6 radio.. it's either the PRO4 harness, or something is screwy with the yellow constant power from the OEM harness. I did check the voltage on the yellow power from the OEM harness and it is constant 12 volt. I checked the voltage on the cigarette lighter, where the red ACC is connected and there is no power until I turn on the ignition. Has anyone had success with an android aftermarket in a 2018 RAM 2500? If so, how did you hook up the yellow, black and red wires and which harness did you use?