4th Gen from 3rd Gen considerations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamZmann

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l Diesel
New Here, Sorry if has been debated to death!!!!
I currently have an 04.5 Ram 2500
5.9l HO 4x4 Quad cab
I bought this truck 7 years ago with 89k has 140k now
It was already set up this way when I bought it.
Mods
5” lift
sun-coast triple disc torque converter
Bilit flywheel
Smarty Jr
Banks exhaust
Dynatrac stag 1 free spin hubs kit with Warn Lockable hubs
Plus other mods.

SO!!!!
This thing is a beast and is running great. I tow a lot but only 7500 lbs trailer normally.
I want a Ram newer and a little better handling for comfort.(Mega Cab must)
I think it’s safe to say anything after 2015 is out. what are the real pros and cons of mabey going to a 4th gen diesel from what I have or other considerations???
Thanks
RamZmann

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Must have mega cab? Just saying, but the 4th gen crew is loads bigger than the 3rd gen quad.

Are you ok with having the possible costs and or hassles of emissions equipment? 68rfe probs? Not trying to scare ya, I'm just a bit of a realist.

OP
OP
R

RamZmann

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l Diesel
Thanks for the input. the def, the 68rfe etc. Want to hear from guys who have or had them to see if there really that problematic and or our there realistic solutions???

Octane

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. the def, the 68rfe etc. Want to hear from guys who have or had them to see if there really that problematic and or our there realistic solutions???
A co worker bought a diesel, he says maintenance is expensive. He said he bought a package of dealer oil changes. He changes oil every 10k and runs about $50 each. Which I dont think is bad at all since he can go 10k on a change anyway. He had the truck for about 4 years now, maybe 5,no issues whatsoever

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You're talking about a 2500 with the big diesel, right? If you can find any in your area, go take a couple for a drive. See how you like the different cab size and engine torque. It'll probably be a nice upgrade for you. The ones I've seen have been nice trucks. My neighbor has one in about the yr you're targeting (not a mega cab) and loves it. It' built well from my eye.

140k isn't too terribly much on your truck. Are you planning on keeping your 3rd gen and have the diesel as a 2nd tk? Because it sounds like you have it built how you want it. The 3rd gens are quite clean looking. One other thing. It may not be a factor for you, but when it comes to cost of ownership, some guys notice pretty hefty insurance jump going to a 4th gen. Of course it depends on a lot of factors. Might be worth going to your insurance company's website, plug in the numbers, see what comes up ...in case it causes your current rate to double. At least if there's a big jump you won't be surprised. High insurance is the hidden cost that keeps on taking ... :rolleyes: . But then again, maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised by hardly any increase.