4th Gen Remote start for under $100

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

whonz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 4.7
I just learned a new trick to boost the signal from key fob = start the car from greater distance.

Open your mouth and hold the key inside it while open and then click.

I did not believe it but it worked, tell me if it works for you to!

myoung84

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Never done the open mouth thing but I've been holding the remote up to the bottom of my chin for years. Wife thinks I'm nuts and going to get brain cancer, but it actually works!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3.

kcdt58

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Finally found something for the 2013 & 2014.....not exactly as simple.

"The DBALL Key2Go Firmware flashing process is a 2-stage process and must be done at the vehicle. (Previously, for the 2006-2012 Dodge RAM vehicles, the DBALL could be flashed ahead of time with the 401.chrysler v5.06 firmware and then the DBALL just needed to be plugging into the vehicle. This procedure no longer works on the 2013 / 2014 Dodge RAM vehicles because Chrysler made significant changes to the electronics on the 2013 vehicles. Therefore to accomplish DBALL remote starting with your factory remotes, the DBALL now needs to be flashed / programmed at the vehicle, rather than ahead of time.) An XKLoader2 Gen2 Programming Tool (Flashtool) will be needed with access to a Computer to do the DBALL flashing. An Authorized Directed Dealer Login is also needed for the Key2Go programming access. We provide you with the temporary Key2Go programming access that is needed along with your order for this package.

Please Note: In addition to the significant changes Chrysler made in the electronics for the 2013 model year, they also changed the Dodge ignition node wiring plug from the previous 12-pin plug that fit the CHTHD1 T-Harness, to a new 6-pin ignition node plug. The new 6-pin THCHD3 T-Harness developed by Directed for the 2013 / 2014 Dodge RAM vehicles and is now included with this Kit."

Plug N Play Remote Start Kit for 2013 2014 Dodge RAM DBALL2 THCHD3 T Harness | eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Directed-Xpresskit-XKLOADER2-Gen-2-Flash-Programming-Tool-USB-XK-Loader-DB-ALL-/191047161886?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c7b4c581e

Last edited:

BT802

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Great info, I'll be doing this with my truck and the wifes Challenger. Indiana winters get brutal!

KB Sabre

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Finally found something for the 2013 & 2014.....not exactly as simple.

"The DBALL Key2Go Firmware flashing process is a 2-stage process and must be done at the vehicle. (Previously, for the 2006-2012 Dodge RAM vehicles, the DBALL could be flashed ahead of time with the 401.chrysler v5.06 firmware and then the DBALL just needed to be plugging into the vehicle. This procedure no longer works on the 2013 / 2014 Dodge RAM vehicles because Chrysler made significant changes to the electronics on the 2013 vehicles. Therefore to accomplish DBALL remote starting with your factory remotes, the DBALL now needs to be flashed / programmed at the vehicle, rather than ahead of time.) An XKLoader2 Gen2 Programming Tool (Flashtool) will be needed with access to a Computer to do the DBALL flashing. An Authorized Directed Dealer Login is also needed for the Key2Go programming access. We provide you with the temporary Key2Go programming access that is needed along with your order for this package.

Please Note: In addition to the significant changes Chrysler made in the electronics for the 2013 model year, they also changed the Dodge ignition node wiring plug from the previous 12-pin plug that fit the CHTHD1 T-Harness, to a new 6-pin ignition node plug. The new 6-pin THCHD3 T-Harness developed by Directed for the 2013 / 2014 Dodge RAM vehicles and is now included with this Kit."

Plug N Play Remote Start Kit for 2013 2014 Dodge RAM DBALL2 THCHD3 T Harness | eBay

Directed Xpresskit XKLOADER2 Gen 2 Flash Programming Tool USB XK Loader DB All | eBay

Just to verify, the Remote starter kit you listed would work with a 2014 Laramie..?

The reason I ask is because I am looking at said type of truck and I don't believe it comes with a remote start (salesman wouldn't give me the VIN so I can't look it up). And it's something I would want in my next truck.

Don't know a lot about remote starters so I just wanted to verify that this, or something like this would comply with the keyless entry/fob/push to start that the Laramie has.

Thanks

kcdt58

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just to verify, the Remote starter kit you listed would work with a 2014 Laramie..?

The reason I ask is because I am looking at said type of truck and I don't believe it comes with a remote start (salesman wouldn't give me the VIN so I can't look it up). And it's something I would want in my next truck.

Don't know a lot about remote starters so I just wanted to verify that this, or something like this would comply with the keyless entry/fob/push to start that the Laramie has.

Thanks

I would send the seller on eBay a message just to confirm, but I'm pretty sure it would work. He was very helpful and knowledgeable when I spoke with him. There are a lot of happy customers of his on this forum.

TwistedJake

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi
Does anyone have any additional contact info for Doug, the ebay seller? I received my kit the other day, want to install it, but can't get a hold of him for the password to flash the unit. He gave me the sheet with login name that is good for a couple weeks, said he'd email a password, haven't heard from, can't get a hold of.

Or does anyone happen to have a login I can use. Want to install this before the rain hits us this weekend and I can't. I can send proof of my purchase and such if it helps. I'm on the road so if anyone can help and email me I'd greatly appreciate it, [email protected]

Thanks in advance.

TwistedJake

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi
Finally got the email with the info I needed. Apparently he was delayed due to the switch over from the DBALL2 to the 4X10 unit that is now required. Bottom line is that for about $240 shipped to my door I got everything to make this work and my 2014 now has 3x lock remote start.

This thread has been great. Wish I would have found this option a few years ago when I got my 07 and wanted a simple remote start. Instead ended up with a complete digital DEI unit of some form. Loved it, but I wanted simple.

Munky

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500 SLT
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Had a similar kit installed on my 2013 Blackout Express at my buddies shop yesterday. Question though...does anyone know how to stop the fog lights from coming on when using the remote start? I don't mind my running lights being on but I also had HIDs installed in my heads & fogs and every time I use my remote start my fogs come on with it. The only solution I've found as of now is to just turn my fogs off manually before I shut down my truck when I arrive at my destination. Problem with that is when I get in it to drive away again I have to manually turn them on again even though my headlights are set to AUTO. Yes I know I'm being nitpicky but if there is a solution to this other than me manually doing it I would love to know.

Thanks in advance!!!

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
So the only kit for remote start on my 2014 express is the $240 kit… ouch! what happened to the $100 this thread started with…. ugh.

BT802

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Yea looks like I didnt jump in soon enough, the cheaper kit is no longer available.

deadice

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just finished going through every post in this thread, I have a 14 so was very excited for the < $100 option. Sad to learn that it is now around $200. Still better than getting another separate remote start system for $400+ or worse through the dealer $800+.

So for the 14, it is now the Directed 4x10 module with THCHD3 harness and XKLoader2 to flash (with login info).

Now does this kit permanently use your OBD port? If it does, can you safely run a splitter so that 2 devices can use it at the same time?

TIA

deadice

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looking around some more, there are some Canadian Tire's near me, but I don't trust them at all. There is a small shop 30 min away, going to call and get a quote tomorrow. Hopefully their price is decent.

Looks like doug's kit is the cheapest that I can see so far. i may have to settle on that and do it myself. still hoping i can get a quote like the one guy above from montreal who got it installed for $210 or something.. For reference this link : http://www.ramforum.com/f75/4th_gen_remote_start_under_$100-25382/index41.html#post696302

JabregoUSMC

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The thchd3 IS the splitter. You'll plug the original into the harness then put a replacement one from the harness in the original's spot. Very easy install, longest part was downloading the software and getting it to work.

plarkinjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel
only for pushbutton starters?

Is it safe to assume that if I do not have a pushbutton starter (i.e. I have to stick the key in and turn it) that this splitter/software device will not work for me?

JabregoUSMC

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The kit from Doug that includes the 4x10, thchd3 and the xkloader and login/password is all you need and WILL work with a non-pbs (push button start). The login name will be handwritten/circled on an install sheet that he sends in the box. He will then e-mail your password. In the software you can set your heated seats, engine run time, etc. The kit itself is plug n play unless you want the parking lights to come on when you remote start, if you want that you will have to tap into a wire on the bcm under the driver side dash (off to the left, behind the parking brake).

deadice

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The thchd3 IS the splitter. You'll plug the original into the harness then put a replacement one from the harness in the original's spot. Very easy install, longest part was downloading the software and getting it to work.

Ok good to know. I have a insurance tracker in there right now knocking 25% off my premiums so I need to keep that for another 3 months :)

My local shop said they would hardwire a DBALLPRO2 kit in my 14 for $200 installed, that has the 3XLS. Going to call back and see if that covers install of the hood switch and master on/off and parking lights. Shop wanted to upsell me to the Viper 4115 1 button 1 way installed for $299.

I'm thinking I'll go for the DBALLPRO2 kit and then pay extra (if any) for the switches as it is cheaper than getting the kit from doug off ebay and I'll get a clean Pro install. Still nice to have one remote and the factory range looks to be similar to the viper anyways.

redrt_12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 R/T
I just installed the new version directed 4x10 and it dirent work you just hear a click click click from the module and it wont start...any suggestions? Do I have to program it on the computer? I told doug to flash it for me

JabregoUSMC

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just installed the new version directed 4x10 and it dirent work you just hear a click click click from the module and it wont start...any suggestions? Do I have to program it on the computer? I told doug to flash it for me

What year truck? With the new kits you have to program it at the truck with the key, then plug the 4x10 back into the computer, flash it/set it up there. Once that's done install it back in the truck , clean up and enjoy.

Last edited: