4wd won’t engage, splines not lined up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NyteFyre22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7
My 4wd actuator tries to engage the 4wd, but the front transfer case splines aren’t lined up correctly, how can I re-align them?

OP
OP
N

NyteFyre22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7
It worked last Christmas without issues, but when summer came around, you could hear the actuator try to move the gears, but they don’t line up properly. I replaced the actuator and it’s the same thing.
2007 ram 1500, 4.7 Magnum engine, Trx4

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Are you shifting it parked? If you can hear the actuator it would seem so.

Normally when engaging a part time TC it needs to be rolling so the splines align as the parts rotate. Applies whether motor actuated or old school mechanical hand lever.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Are you shifting it parked? If you can hear the actuator it would seem so.

Normally when engaging a part time TC it needs to be rolling so the splines align as the parts rotate. Applies whether motor actuated or old school mechanical hand lever.
@Travelin Ram is right, you should be rolling when attempting to engage a part-time transfer case. There is no guarantee that the splines will line up when sitting still. It is a crap-shoot. If you are trying to shift the transfer case into 4-HI you can make the shift at speeds around 60mph. If you are trying to shift the transfer case into 4-LO then you should be rolling super slow. Just creeping along, move the t-case selector to 4-LO and listen for the typical clunk.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
And if you have been trying to engage 4x4 while sitting still...you may have broke the shift fork in the CAD axle.

This is why...if you are going somewhere that you may get stuck...you already want to have 4x4 engaged.

If you do not get lucky that the splines align when your momentum stops....you will not get 4wd...until you can move the truck forward or backward.

OP
OP
N

NyteFyre22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7
I am shifting into 4WD high while creeping along and I can hear the loud click of it trying. In the past I may have put it in without moving, but that’s rare. It had this exact issue when I bought it used, but the extended warranty covered it, so I’m not sure of the fix. Last year it worked great and I was always moving when engaging and disengaging the 4wd.
What happens is I will be driving, usually like 5mph, turn the knob to 4WD LOCK and I can hear the click, which I assume is the actuator, but the 4WD just blinks and never goes solid and the front wheels aren’t engaged. I turn it back to 2WD and I hear the loud click of the actuator again.

OP
OP
N

NyteFyre22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7
I have the electronic shifter with 2WD, 4WD Lock, and 4WD low, and the manual says I can go into 4WD lock either in park or up to 55 mph, although 4WD LOW I do have to be moving slowly and in Neutral.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Your shifting procedure is perfect. Insofar as aligning the splines, when you’re moving in 2WD the splines are constantly coming into alignment and then becoming misaligned again as the assembly rotates. That’s why moving helps the shift.

I’m not an expert on the 1500 system as all mine have been HD trucks. I’d suspect the original repair; either substandard part used or improper installation. Or there’s something else wrong in your 4WD that’s causing difficult shifts. That’s one reason I’ve never been a fan of electric shift. With a hand lever you can feel if a shift is smooth or if it’s grinding or binding.

If it were mine, I’d put it up on jack stands and get under it (not running) and shift it while having an assistant spin the rear driveshaft to simulate a slow roll to start the diagnosis.

Hopefully some people more knowledgeable on the 1500’s will chime in with more specific knowledge.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I do not know how you can here it in the truck.

I am going with a broken shift fork.

I did away with my CAD axle disconnect on my 2nd Gen. Our 3rd Gen hasnt had any issues.

Guess I better go checkout a 1500. Maybe I got the wrong thought in my head about how it works

I did forget they changed the 1500 front axle for the 3rd Gen.

Edit: realized thatbthe 2002 to 2012 RAM trucks dropped the CAD axle

Last edited:

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Disregard my posts. After I mentioned my 3rd gen having no issues I remembered that 2001 was the last year for CAD axle. It did not return til 2013.

Sorry. Carry on.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OK, if there’s no CAD, then the front driveshaft turns all the time. Driven by the front tires in 2WD. In some of those it helps align the splines if you do a little steering; take a corner or do a little S weave. That’ll cause the front and rear tires to have a little speed difference and help the splines align if they’re not matching. A real common technique on some Jeeps.

That said, considering your truck’s history, I’d still say there’s a mechanical problem, either the shift motor or an internal TC issue like a broken or sticky shift fork.

OP
OP
N

NyteFyre22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7
Yeah, the shift fork is in the 4wd actuator itself. I can see now it isn’t a matter of the splines lining up, but it sure doesn’t engage. I like the idea of putting it on stands and then putting it into 4wd and watching to see what happens. I’m at a loss here, and it seems like Rams have a tons of different 4wd configurations, so my setup is kind of unique.

audiowize

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 Magnum
When I first bought my 4Runner years ago, the electronic shifting to 4WD wouldn't work. I suspect this is because nobody ever used it! All I did to fix that was to drive around the circle in my neighborhood and keep flipping the switch back and forth from 2WD to 4WD, and after about twenty minutes the actuator unstuck and it started working. Then I had to do that for 4 low.

Now whenever I change my oil, I shift to 4H, then 4L, then crawl up the ramps in 4L. That keeps the actuator moving a couple of times a year and everything is happy.

There's a good video here that you might find helpful:

Snake15eyes1998

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When I first bought my 4Runner years ago, the electronic shifting to 4WD wouldn't work. I suspect this is because nobody ever used it! All I did to fix that was to drive around the circle in my neighborhood and keep flipping the switch back and forth from 2WD to 4WD, and after about twenty minutes the actuator unstuck and it started working. Then I had to do that for 4 low.

Now whenever I change my oil, I shift to 4H, then 4L, then crawl up the ramps in 4L. That keeps the actuator moving a couple of times a year and everything is happy.

There's a good video here that you might find helpful:

This guy is good in the video. He replaces the stub axle on the passenger side. Yours could be worn out. Easy fix. Mine pulled out with the cv axle, cause it was so seized. I had to open my actuator, and put everything back in. Their is a ring inside, that has a certain orientation or it won't slide onto the stub axle. Look into this, but this could be your issue. Also, mine truck engages into 4x4 just fine if I'm not moving. Never had an issue with it not. So something is definitely going on.

OP
OP
N

NyteFyre22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7
Thanks, that looks exactly like mine. That dude is amazing, and I wish I had his shop.

OP
OP
N

NyteFyre22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7
This guy is good in the video. He replaces the stub axle on the passenger side. Yours could be worn out. Easy fix. Mine pulled out with the cv axle, cause it was so seized. I had to open my actuator, and put everything back in. Their is a ring inside, that has a certain orientation or it won't slide onto the stub axle. Look into this, but this could be your issue. Also, mine truck engages into 4x4 just fine if I'm not moving. Never had an issue with it not. So something is definitely going on.

Well, to say my attempted repair attempt did not go as smoothly as his would be the understatement of the year. I wasn’t able to get the axle nut off on this side with my breaker bar, breaker bar + pipe attached, or 24 impact wrench. It would help if the axle nut was bigger.
I did successfully replace the front shocks, although I had to cut 4 of the six bolts holding them in, and I had to use a ball joint press to get the large bottom bolts out on both sides. I replaced the sway bar links, and both ball joints.
Since I made it through hunting season with chains and 2WD, I think I will tackle this again in the summer and pray the massive amounts of liquid wrench that I put on the axle nut works.
Thanks for your help guys, I’m suspecting the stub shaft at this point.