4x2 2014 ram 1500 suspension help and solution

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wh0isthis

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 1500 SLT CREW CAB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good morning Ram family.

I just have some questions about suspension and what would be the best way to fix this whole situation.

I wil also attach some pictures for better clarification.

I purchased a lift/level kit maxtrack 2.0 with fox shocks and springs.

I noticed that the controll arms are wearing out and also not sure what you call it but the plate that is holding the wheel is at a angle that attaches to the controll arms.

I also notices that when I go over speed bumbs or cracks in the road or even reflectors that the rear ends wants to just give out especially around a turn.

Thank you for the help !!

Attachments

• IMG_1266.HEIC.jpg
    IMG_1266.HEIC.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1268.HEIC.jpg
    IMG_1268.HEIC.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1269.HEIC.jpg
    IMG_1269.HEIC.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 32

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
Good morning Ram family.

I just have some questions about suspension and what would be the best way to fix this whole situation.

I wil also attach some pictures for better clarification.

I purchased a lift/level kit maxtrack 2.0 with fox shocks and springs.

I noticed that the controll arms are wearing out and also not sure what you call it but the plate that is holding the wheel is at a angle that attaches to the controll arms.

I also notices that when I go over speed bumbs or cracks in the road or even reflectors that the rear ends wants to just give out especially around a turn.

Thank you for the help !!
How old / many miles ago was it installed?

What’s total miles?

I had the spindles changed out as well as part of the Max Trac lift I’ve got.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Based on how dry and cracked the sway bar link bushings are I’m guessing it’s mostly age. Same for the grease boot on the upper ball joint. Also the spindle is not straight to begin with unless you are meaning something other than what I’m thinking. Mine is 4wd but still same for reference. Not sure what you mean by rear end wants to give out. Any better details?

Attachments

• A3F1622B-8DAA-4461-8A93-DD34F190967C.jpeg
    A3F1622B-8DAA-4461-8A93-DD34F190967C.jpeg
    174.4 KB · Views: 20
OP
OP
Wh0isthis

Wh0isthis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How old / many miles ago was it installed?

What’s total miles?

I had the spindles changed out as well as part of the Max Trac lift I’ve got.
It was installed when I had about 70k on it so roughly about 3 years ago. I currently have 125k on the truck. My concern is the amount of angle it puts on the spindle. Is it to much stress on it? I know 4x4 vechiles have a different setup then we do. I dont mind changing out the parts to fix the issues.

OP
OP
Wh0isthis

Wh0isthis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Based on how dry and cracked the sway bar link bushings are I’m guessing it’s mostly age. Same for the grease boot on the upper ball joint. Also the spindle is not straight to begin with unless you are meaning something other than what I’m thinking. Mine is 4wd but still same for reference. Not sure what you mean by rear end wants to give out. Any better details?
Correct , I am talking about the spindle . Would i need to get a different spindle since it has a lift on it and causing more angle stress on the balljoint? I would like to replace the swaybar links and the other components that are a lot better then stock.

As for the rear of the truck.

When I go around a turn and hit a pot hole or change lanes driving over the reflectors especially on the freeway the back end of the truck sways left or right almost like it jumps . I am used to it but there are times where if I am not paying attention it gets a little hairy.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Correct , I am talking about the spindle . Would i need to get a different spindle since it has a lift on it and causing more angle stress on the balljoint? I would like to replace the swaybar links and the other components that are a lot better then stock.

When I go around a turn and hit a pot hole or change lanes driving over the reflectors especially on the freeway the back end of the truck sways left or right almost like it jumps . I am used to it but there are times where if I am not paying attention it gets a little hairy.
The spindle is fine. If you are concerned about the angle of the ball joint you could get a new upper control arm designed for lifted trucks. Maxtrac sells one. It has nothing to do with the spindle. Honestly I would look at the maxtrac spindle lift kit instead of the 2” spring kit you have. It’s a lot easier on everything because it reuses all the factory parts and just changes the spindle which keeps everything at factory angles instead of pushed down like yours is. There is nothing wrong with your setup. Each has different pros and cons.
The rear end. Do you have a rear sway bar? If so check all the bushings for that. Also check all the bushings for the rear control arms and the rear track bar. If one or more bushings are bad or going bad will cause the rear end to not feel solid.

OP
OP
Wh0isthis

Wh0isthis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The spindle is fine. If you are concerned about the angle of the ball joint you could get a new upper control arm designed for lifted trucks. Maxtrac sells one. It has nothing to do with the spindle. Honestly I would look at the maxtrac spindle lift kit instead of the 2” spring kit you have. It’s a lot easier on everything because it reuses all the factory parts and just changes the spindle which keeps everything at factory angles instead of pushed down like yours is. There is nothing wrong with your setup. Each has different pros and cons.
The rear end. Do you have a rear sway bar? If so check all the bushings for that. Also check all the bushings for the rear control arms and the rear track bar. If one or more bushings are bad or going bad will cause the rear end to not feel solid.
Thank you for the response. My appolgies on the terms for the parts. Ok I will look into getting new spindle lift kit. Will I be able to re-use the fox shocks and springs? Will it keep the truck the same ride height?

I will take a look at the rear of the truck . I do not have a rear sway bar, but I was considering buying the core4x4 parts for the rear end of the truck. I woould like to also upgarde the front links as well.

thank you again!

OP
OP
Wh0isthis

Wh0isthis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How about the control arm? Since I am planning to replace these parts would it be a good idea to just upgrade the control arm as well?

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The spindle will lift you more if you do not go back to stock springs. You could get away with just doing the upper control arms from maxtrac and be fine most likely and not do the spindle. As stated each setup has its own pros and cons.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

That's rear steer which happens with a 4th Gen when you either drop it or lift it.The rear locating arms should be as close to parrellel as possible with each other and the ground.There's relocation brackets for a dropped truck,not sure what's floating around for a lifted truck,but there should be brackets specially designed to relocate the rear control arms back to their proper geometery.Look for brackets that lift the rear arms up from their original position on the rear end.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's rear steer which happens with a 4th Gen when you either drop it or lift it.The rear locating arms should be as close to parrellel as possible with each other and the ground.There's relocation brackets for a dropped truck,not sure what's floating around for a lifted truck,but there should be brackets specially designed to relocate the rear control arms back to their proper geometery.Look for brackets that lift the rear arms up from their original position on the rear end.
By what he said I don’t think he’s lifted in the rear. The maxtrac 2.0 level kit is just front springs and shocks.
Here
Also you can go up to 1.5” rear lift and get away without relocation brackets but adjustable control arms and sway bar are recommended for proper alignment. You can install the core 4x4 non adjustable if you do not plan on lifting the rear.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
Get the rear end upgraded with new arms and panhard bar.

Core 4x4 is pricey but gets the job done. I have zero issue with the rear lifted 4.5"

OP
OP
Wh0isthis

Wh0isthis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you guys! Much appreciate it.

I have one more question. I will go ahead and get new control arms by Mavotech and the front sway bar links. Wanted to upgarde the rear as well. I do use my truck at times for work and wanted to upgrade the springs and shocks. what would be the best option for me?

Thank You in advance !

Mike.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you guys! Much appreciate it.

I have one more question. I will go ahead and get new control arms by Mavotech and the front sway bar links. Wanted to upgarde the rear as well. I do use my truck at times for work and wanted to upgrade the springs and shocks. what would be the best option for me?

Thank You in advance !

Mike.
Buy the maxtrac control arms so they have a better ball joint angle instead of mevotech. The stock sway bar links are better than mevotech and I think you can just order bushing for it instead of replacing the whole thing. And you can order the rear fox shocks from maxtrac to match the fronts Here. Also if you want heavier load springs look into tuftruck coils. Here.

OP
OP
Wh0isthis

Wh0isthis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok,

I am going for it on all. I will keep you posted with the build and pictures.

It will cost a arm and leg to get this all done. Hopefully I will keep the truck for the next 3 to 5 years lol . Just the parts alone will be expesnive but I want this done right. The install I have no idea plus I live in California so it will be like 9x the amount to get it installed lol. If I had a shop I would do it on my own.

After this is all done then would need to get new tires :(

Then I would like to focus on the engine upgrades, some exterior work and a sound system.

Again thanks for all your help Fam.

Mike.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
My truck with the 7" maxtrac lift kit, core 4x4 tier 4 control arms and end links still likes to get loose on washboard roads like yours @Wh0isthis , it's just the nature of these beasts lol ... I did however make it better by dropping down the psi on my rear tires to 35 and the front I have them at 37-39 psi ...

Core 4x4 will be having UCAs for the front in about a month or so, if you can wait til then you should ... but the Maxtrac UCAs are no joke either ..

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
My truck with the 7" maxtrac lift kit, core 4x4 tier 4 control arms and end links still likes to get loose on washboard roads like yours @Wh0isthis , it's just the nature of these beasts lol ... I did however make it better by dropping down the psi on my rear tires to 35 and the front I have them at 37-39 psi ...

Core 4x4 will be having UCAs for the front in about a month or so, if you can wait til then you should ... but the Maxtrac UCAs are no joke either ..

Get the Suspension Maxx style front end links. I say this because I'm guessing you'll scoff at Genuine Suspension Maxx pricing "when you could just make it for half" you get the idea. BTW once you do.... you're welcome :gr_grin:

I use core 4x4 5" lifted rear end links. Still factory front and rear sway bars.
20220623_181104.jpg

Msko

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just throw my experience in here-2015 1500 Outdoorsman. I put bilsteins set at 2.1 on front and in 4 months the stock upper control arm ball joint were ready to pop out- not enought angle. Put in mevotech and problem solved. No issues for 50k miles so far. Had the same rear end issue of hopping and feeling of control loss. It was the crap ‘heavy duty’ mopar rear shocks. I changed springs to progressive rate coil springs to eliminate sag while towing and had issue before and after new springs. Put bilstein shocks on back and problem gone.