4x4 problem Ram 2013+ 8-speed 44-44 transfer case

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Airborne63

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is this issue just limited to the 1500's with the 4WD auto? Or is it also in the 2500's? Thinking about moving up to a 2500.

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A few weekends ago, I had a steep, very steep, driveway to back up. It had a decent drop off and it was pouring rain. No traction in 2wd. So I put it in 4 lock. Has to give some throttle to get the beast going but not to much because I don't need to be flying up this driveway backwards.

I didn't do any backing at first, just rear wheel spin and my ass end drifts a foot or so closer to the drop off. I did this a few times, only got the tears to spin. It did eventually lock. I had to go forward to reposition though because of I did back up any more, I'd be going off the drop off.

I'm very disappointed in this case.

Although 4 auto works great on full throttle launches

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

BigDogg795

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The exception, not the norm. I would bet this is the rule they made when making this decision. The exception to this vehicle is actually people who use 4WD often. The norm (90%) is probably people who thought it would be neat to have the 4x4 badge on their truck, but will only (maybe) use it .001% of their driving life. The other 10% are those, similar to some above, who actually use 4WD, and use it often. Then, if you were to remove the percentage of people who actually realize this as an issue - they were going with the numbers that there will not be a big outcry on this decision. However, as mentioned above, they were probably providing a "fix" for the 90% group who, after using it that .001% time, leave their truck in 4WD and try to cruise at 70+ on the freeway.

My issue is this; I bought my truck because at a minimum I need AWD. See, the State of New York considers me what they call an "essential employee". When a blizzard hit and the rest of the state gets to stay home and drink hot cocoa and build snowmen, I gotta drag my ******** to work. Now I bought my truck used so I couldn't build it the exact options I wanted so I didn't get the factory LSD. I figured I would get by with just the 4WD. But to find out my 4WD isn't really as robust as I believed it to be, I feel I should have bought a Wrangler instead. I completely understand why they did what they did, but it doesn't make it any easier to accept.

black14sport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Since this whole slippage thing with the front axle is all electronically controlled by the amount of torque going wherever, blah blah blah...... Is there anyone that has this transfer case that may have installed a chip or some type of programmer that eliminated the problem? I'm just curious because I was reading about one (maybe edge idk) that changed shift points and controls torque and obviously a lot of other stuff. Thought maybe it would change when the sensors tell the front to engage in 4x4 sooner or something. Or if this could be achieved by a custom program. Whether it could void the warranty or not, because what use is the warranty if the damned thing doesn't work anyway!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Since this whole slippage thing with the front axle is all electronically controlled by the amount of torque going wherever, blah blah blah...... Is there anyone that has this transfer case that may have installed a chip or some type of programmer that eliminated the problem? I'm just curious because I was reading about one (maybe edge idk) that changed shift points and controls torque and obviously a lot of other stuff. Thought maybe it would change when the sensors tell the front to engage in 4x4 sooner or something. Or if this could be achieved by a custom program. Whether it could void the warranty or not, because what use is the warranty if the damned thing doesn't work anyway!

There is not. The only hope is to install the lockout clutches, otherwise even if you figure out how to have the clutch engaged at all times in 4wd you still have to deal with the slippage.

black14sport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Lockout clutches meaning the ones in the front differential, or the transfer case? Because I was under the impression that when you put it in 4wd the transfer case engages but the front differential does not until the slippage factor, making the front axle the problem. (Shooting from the hip based off half assed info from "certified"technician)

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Lockout clutches meaning the ones in the front differential, or the transfer case? Because I was under the impression that when you put it in 4wd the transfer case engages but the front differential does not until the slippage factor, making the front axle the problem. (Shooting from the hip based off half assed info from "certified"technician)

No, in any 4x4 mode the front differential is engaged, there is no clutch in it. The clutch that is the problem is the one that the power to the front axle goes through.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Above is a correct statement.

black14sport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No, in any 4x4 mode the front differential is engaged, there is no clutch in it. The clutch that is the problem is the one that the power to the front axle goes through.
That's what I thought too. I got two different answers from two different dealerships and nothing they said made sense compared to my own Google searching and from what I have read on this forum. According to the parts diagram on rams website there is a "magnetic wet clutch" that engages the front output shaft, that's what I was curious about changing the specs on thru a computer hack or some sort of software reconfiguration.

black14sport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's what I thought too. I got two different answers from two different dealerships

Meaning they said there were also clutches in the front differential that communicates between rear wheel speed and the transfer case torque output shaft to achieve the best possible traction. Pfft.... That's why my truck will spin the back tires at an idle and the front does nothing because in their words there isn't enough torque being put out to fully engage everything, at an idle. Only problem is that it's not only at an idle, but we all know that already,etc

Nekozame

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is going to give me anxiety until it snows and I can finally see how it performs. I'm sure this winter we will get zero snow by me just to add to the anxiety.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is going to give me anxiety until it snows and I can finally see how it performs. I'm sure this winter we will get zero snow by me just to add to the anxiety.
I gotta say, last winter I drove my truck through a good 6+" of snow on the roads and it did really well even with the crappy stock Goodyears.

The thing is my truck has always been pretty decent in 4lock, not a whole lot of wheel spin before it engages. When I first saw this thread I thought for sure the op's truck was defective and mine mechanically locked.

I am by no means saying its performing the way it should be, but it got me where I was going in the middle of a blizzard.

Nekozame

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I gotta say, last winter I drove my truck through a good 6+" of snow on the roads and it did really well even with the crappy stock Goodyears.

The thing is my truck has always been pretty decent in 4lock, not a whole lot of wheel spin before it engages. When I first saw this thread I thought for sure the op's truck was defective and mine mechanically locked.

I am by no means saying its performing the way it should be, but it got me where I was going in the middle of a blizzard.

Well that's comforting. We got hit with a few feet of snow last winter with 28 inches at once. There was a good 8-12 inches on the ground and my xterra was a beast. I'd like my ram to perform similarly. I'm hoping.

Your experience is comforting.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Well that's comforting. We got hit with a few feet of snow last winter with 28 inches at once. There was a good 8-12 inches on the ground and my xterra was a beast. I'd like my ram to perform similarly. I'm hoping.

Your experience is comforting.
I will say I was pushing snow with mine at one point and it did fine. It just didn't do good in that for long distances at a crawling speed before overheating the clutch.

black14sport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I will say I was pushing snow with mine at one point and it did fine. It just didn't do good in that for long distances at a crawling speed before overheating the clutch.
That's the thing that really chaps my ass, even if it performs well there's the possibility of overheating the clutch. Sorry if I rant a lot, this is my first dodge product and so far this is overly whelmingly disappointing. Absolutely Love the rest of the truck but this is a deal breaker for me that they let this hit the market and will do nothing to accept the fact that this design is full of flaws.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Has anyone driven a 2015 Chevy or GMC with the 4auto to find out if they actually lock or not?

black14sport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Has anyone driven a 2015 Chevy or GMC with the 4auto to find out if they actually lock or not?
I had a Silverado, I think an 02, worked flawlessly. But that was an 02....

baydog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
As far as I know they still use the auto trac transfer case from the mid 2000's, so yes they do actually lock.
The fact that GM's transfer case from the mid 2000's works means nothing. I had a Dodge Thunder road in '06 with the on demand that worked flawlessly, actually locking in 4WD Lock.