4x4 Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Felix Davenport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
New owner of a 2019 Rebel. Love this truck but question about 4x4.

The manual isn't clear on 4x4 (High) engagement. Do you have to come to a complete stop before you shift into 4x4 High or can it be done at lower speeds (while running).

Moreover, the locking diff. Can this be engaged on the fly or does it require a full stop before engaging as well?

Thanks!

Felix

Taylor513

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As far as my understanding you can do 4x4 High on the fly as well as 4x4 Auto if you have it. Only time you need to come to a stop is 4x4 Low. That's how I do it at least.

gustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
4 high is on the fly, 4 low I think you have to shift into neutral for. And from my understanding the locking diff and hill descent control can only be engaged in 4 low. Someone correct me if I read the manual wrong. Think having the option for hill descent control or locking diff in 2 or 4 high would be good too but manual seemed to indicate 4 low only for those.

Best bet is to verify shift procedures in the manual.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
And from my understanding the locking diff and hill descent control can only be engaged in 4 low.

First time I've heard the terms "locking diff" and "hill descent control". Are they something new for 2019 or aftermarket or ??

brian42

Military
Reaction score
I'm not sure if they are new for the RAM in '19 but they are factory options.

Hill descent control can only be used in 4LOW and under 20 MPH. It helps control downhill speed (off-road) without driver input.

There are two non-open differentials. The anti-spin (limited slip) and the e-locker. The e-locker can be engaged in any drivetrain selection (2WD, 4WD AUTO, 4WD HIGH, or 4WD LOW). For 4WD LOW it will engage under 40 MPH and all other settings you must be below 20 MPH. If you exceed those speeds the e-locker disengages.

gustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
The e-locker can be engaged in any drivetrain selection (2WD, 4WD AUTO, 4WD HIGH, or 4WD LOW). For 4WD LOW it will engage under 40 MPH and all other settings you must be below 20 MPH. If you exceed those speeds the e-locker disengages.

Did not know this and the manual didn't make it very clear. Gonna have to try it out now! Still a bummer on hill descent control though.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I'm not sure if they are new for the RAM in '19 but they are factory options.

Hill descent control can only be used in 4LOW and under 20 MPH. It helps control downhill speed (off-road) without driver input.

There are two non-open differentials. The anti-spin (limited slip) and the e-locker. The e-locker can be engaged in any drivetrain selection (2WD, 4WD AUTO, 4WD HIGH, or 4WD LOW). For 4WD LOW it will engage under 40 MPH and all other settings you must be below 20 MPH. If you exceed those speeds the e-locker disengages.

Brian,

Do you know what transfer case is being used with these options?

brian42

Military
Reaction score
The anti-slip and e-locker are options you can order individually and are independent of transfer case (you can order these for a 2wd truck also). You can only have one or the other (or neither for an open differential).

The hill descent control only comes with the Off-Road Package (ORP) AFAIK. When you get that, though, you get an e-locker with that package whether you want it or not. I'm not sure which transfer case comes with the ORP but I have all the buttons (2WD, 4WD AUTO, 4WD HIGH, and 4WD LOW).

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
The anti-slip and e-locker are options you can order individually and are independent of transfer case (you can order these for a 2wd truck also). You can only have one or the other (or neither for an open differential).

The hill descent control only comes with the Off-Road Package (ORP) AFAIK. When you get that, though, you get an e-locker with that package whether you want it or not. I'm not sure which transfer case comes with the ORP but I have all the buttons (2WD, 4WD AUTO, 4WD HIGH, and 4WD LOW).

Got it. If all the buttons it's the 44-44 which uses a clutch system to engage the front axles/wheels when it senses a rear wheel spinning. That then tells me those options can only pertain to the rear differential .

Thanks for the clarification

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Got it. If all the buttons it's the 44-44 which uses a clutch system to engage the front axles/wheels when it senses a rear wheel spinning. That then tells me those options can only pertain to the rear differential .

Thanks for the clarification
The 19's cases are actually the 48-11 for on-demand 4wd(the one with auto) and 48-12 for the part time case. The new on-demand case still requires the rears to spin before the front engages in all 4wd modes

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The 19's cases are actually the 48-11 for on-demand 4wd(the one with auto) and 48-12 for the part time case. The new on-demand case still requires the rears to spin before the front engages in all 4wd modes

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

@Brandon-w Have something that works for this t-case as well? Just wondering for my future reference if I end up with one.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
@Brandon-w Have something that works for this t-case as well? Just wondering for my future reference if I end up with one.
I'm not sure yet. I'll have to see how the t case works and how the ectrical is. Im Assuming it is all the same anyone wana help me? Lol

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm not sure yet. I'll have to see how the t case works and how the ectrical is. Im Assuming it is all the same anyone wana help me? Lol

Yeah I was wondering how different it is or would be, since it sounds like it works the same as the 44-44. And I'd love to help ya, that pesky border gets in the way!

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Hey Brandon,

My great Service Manager thinks your switch is the bomb! It would make a great FCA option.
:D
Haha that's awesome!! It should have been offered from factory to be honest! Most people don't Beleive what it actually does till they actually experience it. [emoji846]

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Haha that's awesome!! It should have been offered from factory to be honest! Most people don't Beleive what it actually does till they actually experience it. [emoji846]
Got to get mine hooked up!!!!!!!!

Finally got the truck back and a/c issues sorted out.

I was pondering this same question as it pertains to the 5th Gens and I have a hunch they work the same. They are still BW cases so the tech didn’t change..........not sure why FCA would need to “re-invent” the wheel here and completely change up the brains of the tcase.

Is it obvious I’m hoping this works so I can convince myself the only option ISN’T a 5th Gen Rebel?!?!

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Got to get mine hooked up!!!!!!!!

Finally got the truck back and a/c issues sorted out.

I was pondering this same question as it pertains to the 5th Gens and I have a hunch they work the same. They are still BW cases so the tech didn’t change..........not sure why FCA would need to “re-invent” the wheel here and completely change up the brains of the tcase.

Is it obvious I’m hoping this works so I can convince myself the only option ISN’T a 5th Gen Rebel?!?!
I'm half thinking Borg warner discontinued the 44-44 but I'm not sure. Id like to think the tech is the same, as well as programming and wiring I can't see them chaninging it up since they have so many modules and crap. It's probly all the old tech with just one plug end change for the t case and a rebranded "newer better" label. I'll check to see what my sisters truck has I think she has the push button auto feature. [emoji57]