4x4 slipping out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick4320

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Hey all,

I recently purchased a used 2015 2500 tradesman with the 6.4L and 107K miles. I was driving to the store in the snow, roads completely covered, i shifted into 4 wheel drive before I even left the house. Going down the road at approx 20-25mph the transfer case shifted out of 4wd and back into 2wd. Btw it is a manual shift transfer case. So when this happened there was no noise such as grinding banging or else, it was almost like the lever wasnt fully back and it just fell back forward into 2wd.

I have an old jeep so ik what a bad transfer case shift feels like and how to shift manual transfer cases, So when i shift the lever into 4wd i dont feel a "pop" like it locked into place.

This has happened to me several times, testing it a few times on the run to the store. Everything seems normal nothing out of the odd, the truck even says 4wd shifting in progress both in and out.

as a side note the transmission was just rebuilt. my thinking is maybe the tightened a bolt a little to much but that just doesnt seem right.

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Could be the linkage is out if adjustment or something is blocking full movement under the floor.Other than that I would say the syncro and the 4wd hi gear itself is worn/damaged.Like standard transmissions they don't pop out of gear too many times before the damage is done and they won't stay in gear.Possible that whoever put the trans in screwed something up but then you have wonder what kind of abuse the truck has endured.JMHO.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If they just rebuilt the transmission that means the transfer case and shift linkages had been removed. Wouldn't doubt they hooked the linkages back up but they now need a little adjustment. My '16 has a pretty solid and obvious detent when you shift between 2H and 4H.

Gamedog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
392 c.i.
Hey all,

I recently purchased a used 2015 2500 tradesman with the 6.4L and 107K miles. I was driving to the store in the snow, roads completely covered, i shifted into 4 wheel drive before I even left the house. Going down the road at approx 20-25mph the transfer case shifted out of 4wd and back into 2wd. Btw it is a manual shift transfer case. So when this happened there was no noise such as grinding banging or else, it was almost like the lever wasnt fully back and it just fell back forward into 2wd.

I have an old jeep so ik what a bad transfer case shift feels like and how to shift manual transfer cases, So when i shift the lever into 4wd i dont feel a "pop" like it locked into place.

This has happened to me several times, testing it a few times on the run to the store. Everything seems normal nothing out of the odd, the truck even says 4wd shifting in progress both in and out.

as a side note the transmission was just rebuilt. my thinking is maybe the tightened a bolt a little to much but that just doesnt seem right.

Definitely take it back to the shop that rebuilt the transmission and have them adjust the linkage (assuming you didn't remove and reinstall the transmission yourself).

Should be a quick adjustment.

OP
OP
Nick4320

Nick4320

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Definitely take it back to the shop that rebuilt the transmission and have them adjust the linkage (assuming you didn't remove and reinstall the transmission yourself).

Should be a quick adjustment.

How hard is it to adjust the linkage? I had the dealer who I bought the truck from rebuild the trans, since they sold it to me with a bad trans and didn't tell me it was bad. A Dodge Ram Jeep Dealer

And to be honest I would really rather not take it back there due to their complete **** customer service and how they treated me the entire time.