4x4 Thump When Disengaging 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CPO N

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Hello everyone.
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn 4x4 with 3.6 Pentastar engine.
I have a question in regards to a noticible "Thump" sound when I deselect the 4x4 electronic selector from 4H to 2H. It also does it when going from 4L to 2H. When not in motion and in neutral, the rear end seems to lurch when it 4x4 is disengaged. Being this is my first electronically shifted 4x4 is this normal?
TIA

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello everyone.
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn 4x4 with 3.6 Pentastar engine.
I have a question in regards to a noticible "Thump" sound when I deselect the 4x4 electronic selector from 4H to 2H. It also does it when going from 4L to 2H. When not in motion and in neutral, the rear end seems to lurch when it 4x4 is disengaged. Being this is my first electronically shifted 4x4 is this normal?
TIA
Not exactly the information you are looking for as I have a 4th gen truck with the BW44-44 transfer case and you have a 5th gen with a new improved transfer case. Coming out of 4L gives a thump or clunk but 4H to 2WD is pretty seamless without any noise on the older model.

OP
OP
C

CPO N

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Thanks for the response. I took the truck to the Dealers Service Department and they suspect a faulty Transfer Case Switch. I am taking it back to them next Monday for a thorough examination.