5.0 to 8.4 swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TxBURLEY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know this topic has been discussed at length, but haven’t been able to find answer to my question.

I’ve got a line on a 8.4 w/ nav out of a ‘17 1500 lonestar. It would come with center console and bezel. It appears to have dual zone hvac. It would be going in a ‘15 2500 tradesman with single zone. Is just the hvac control module available to change this out? If it’s available, would I have to get the radio flashed to make it work with a single zone or would it automatically adjust to my trucks computer? The bezel that would come with it has the volume control that would be necessary for my truck.

Thanks in advance.

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
Your tradesman will likely have a 3.0 or 5.0 , so in addition to the HVAC module you'll need an adapter harness for the HVAC buttons to work on an 8.4" bezel. You can use the 5" bezel but loose some screen.
If you want to upgrade to automatic HVAC I you'll need another harness and a temp sensor (1500's also need a humidity sensor.
You'll need to program the zone changes with the Alpha tool. If you don't the second zone will show.

Last edited:

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know this topic has been discussed at length, but haven’t been able to find answer to my question.

I’ve got a line on a 8.4 w/ nav out of a ‘17 1500 lonestar. It would come with center console and bezel. It appears to have dual zone hvac. It would be going in a ‘15 2500 tradesman with single zone. Is just the hvac control module available to change this out? If it’s available, would I have to get the radio flashed to make it work with a single zone or would it automatically adjust to my trucks computer? The bezel that would come with it has the volume control that would be necessary for my truck.

Thanks in advance.
No you do NOT need to program anything. The radio will automatically pick up whatever HVAC configuration your truck currently has and it will switch to single zone MTC. If you do the FULL 8.4 conversion with harness from M2mods and HVAC module you can use the dual zone bezel but it will have no effect on the passenger side temp and the ATC will not work unless you program the single zone ATC with the alpha tool. You would only need to install the interior ambient temp sensor in order for the ATC to function properly. The 2500 trucks do not require a humidity sensor like the 1500's do. Of course the passenger side temp controls will still not work because you don't have the correct HVAC box under the dash. Some Rams come with the 8.4 radio and the single zone MTC bezel. It looks identical to the dual zone ATC but has no passenger side controls and no auto button on the fan speed dial. Most people use this bezel. It's all explained in detail in the DIY section.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

FlatbedHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not to hijack, but what does this swap generally cost, ballpark?

clifford15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
$500 to $1500 depending on how good you are at sourcing the parts. Mine ran right around $750 and that included a new single zone bezel, control parts and M2Mods harnesses.

OP
OP
T

TxBURLEY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the replies everyone. I decided to pass on it for the time being. For info, I was getting the console, bezel, and 8.4 w/ nav for $850. I'm sure it would have cost me a couple hundred extra to get working the way I wanted it. IF I decide to do this in the future, I'll most likely just go with the infotainment.com kit and save myself some headache.

clifford15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
wow $850 is a great price for all that stuff.