5.7 Block Heater Install Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
Oil pan heaters will warm the oil they will not warm the block, they are not as effective as block heaters for warming an engine in cold weather, they are better then nothing.
In my opinion and having tried them dip stick heaters to attempt to warm oil are mostly a complete waste of time and money.
So from my very little knowledge on these heaters.

The block heater, sits in a coolant passage in the block. And helps to warm the coolant going around it. Which warms the block, right?

But the oil will still be very cold and viscous.

The oil pan heaters will actually warm the oil. Making those nasty, dry cold starts a little easier.

I would much rather warm the actual oil than the block. Or is there some other trickery to the block heaters?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
OK.....You can have the credit bro.
Just adding a little extra info on the dip stick heater from my experience doing manifold bolts bud. Didnt mean to steal your thunder [emoji39] lol

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you live in climate where you need the block heater, get the oil pan heater too. I have both and in -20 *C (-4*F) the block heater alone wasn't doing much to help crank the engine. Added the oil pan heater and it now start like it's nothing.

I have the Wolverine 16CSACE - 250 Watt, this version have a thermo switch that will shutdown the pad when it get too hot, this is great and plug my truck every time I park without worrying about the pad getting too hot if the weather gets warmer. For those very cold night I plug in my Zerostart Interior Car Warmer and the next morning the truck interior is comfortable compared to the outside and I can hold the steering wheels without gloves. The 3 together are pulling ~1400w so you need a dedicated circuit and a good extension (12/3) like this one that will stay soft in the cold.

Last edited:

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
So from my very little knowledge on these heaters.

The block heater, sits in a coolant passage in the block. And helps to warm the coolant going around it. Which warms the block, right?

But the oil will still be very cold and viscous.

The oil pan heaters will actually warm the oil. Making those nasty, dry cold starts a little easier.

I would much rather warm the actual oil than the block. Or is there some other trickery to the block heaters?

Yes the stick on oil pan heaters will warm your oil a bit, if your oil pan is smooth enough for good contact.
I use the block heater for starting ability which it does better then warmed up oil. I use Synthetic 5w-40 oil, also I'm starting the little diesel. My experience with heaters has all been with diesels. The oil pan heaters are not effective with them. On your gasers they many be good.
People with both are covering all the bets.
Many larger tractors and construction equipment have hydraulic/transmission heaters along with block heaters.