5/7 Drop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JavierMar7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anyone know why my rear right tire sticks out more then my rear left?, is it cuz of alignment? I recently had my truck dropped
53d00655c87f345eaa9623885b0e9ae5.jpga9f0e612f393b6818e7289d897d3bd37.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Hard to tell without seeing a before pic - mine is a 4x4 so our bar actually goes the other direction. But lowering will cause the upper panhard bar mount to be lower, thus forcing the axle over due to fixed length of the bar. Most kits will suggest an adjustable bar be installed or provide a relocation bracket of some sort - did your kit say anything about that?

There is some movement built in - when the suspension flexes the panhard bar will move the axle left/right a minor amount by design. But if you are off center at ride height then you will need to accommodate that in some way, typically with an adjustable version with heim joints so that you can set it specifically as your setup requires, such as:

http://www.moes-performance.com/Spohn_Performance_Adjustable_Rear_Panhard_Bar_p/d09-1500-104.htm

I actually have a similar issue, sticking out a bit more on the pass side after installing Icon Lift coils (as 4x4 bar goes opposite of yours, hence lifting pulls axle to pass side slightly. Lowering your 4x2 is pushing your axle to pass side slightly.

fug4Avnh.jpg

Some vids...

Why you would need an adjustable panhard bar... Diagram is for a 4X4 but the theory is the same.

Sample Install Vid...

Last edited:
OP
OP
JavierMar7

JavierMar7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I actually didn’t install the 5/7 drop kit myself I had it installed i was looking to see what the problem is so I can get the guy who worked on it to fix it , but i do believe it needs an adjustable bar , or what can I tell the guy? It actually is my first time getting a truck dropped so I don’t really have the knowledge

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yeah just tell/show him that you rear axle is off center after the lowering kit install. They will know what the issue is and how to fix it. A 5/7 kit is pretty extreme, I'm surprised it did not come with something to accommodate the change - typically directions to drill a new mounting hole, or a relocation bracket, or upgrading to an adjustable bar. Was it an IHC kit?

OP
OP
JavierMar7

JavierMar7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah it was the InezHotRod Kit , I Forsure know he didn’t add an adjustable bar

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yeah it was the InezHotRod Kit , I Forsure know he didn’t add an adjustable bar

OK yeah the IHC kit does not come with adjustable bar (actually, most kits do not, it's typically an added cost option), but uses relocation brackets. They probably will just need to tweak the install I would think.

"IHC created the first 4/6 & 5/7 bolt on lowering kit for the 4th gen rams with out extreme modifications or cutting into the frame. NO C NOTCH REQUIRED. Upfront kit comes with custom control arms. You keep factory springs, shocks, and spindles to maintain factory ride quality and alignment. Upper control arm have threaded ends to be able to adjust to your factory setting. The rear 4 link relocation brackets is the trick to be able to lower it up to 7″ inches without bottoming out or c notch needed. 4 link relocation brackets not only allow for more travel between axle and frame but also corrects pinion angle and re-centers rear axle to prevent any high speed wobbles. Kit also comes with drop springs, drop shocks, shorter sway bar links, and drop down trac bar brackets."

This is the relocation bracket (circled). Make sure it's installed...it probably is but double check.

DR-46.png

You will need to be prepared for the installing shop to say something like "That's as close as we can get it" or similar. If that's the case, call IHC and confirm. Worse case you may have to add the adjustable bar. It might be a case of it will center at 5" but if you go 7" it will require changing the bar, or something like that. See what ICH says after you talk to the shop.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JavierMar7

JavierMar7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I appreciate the help you’ve given me and a much better understanding of it all thanks!

abouttobeglue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've got a spohn one on mine, right side was an inch or so out when I did the belltech 964. It's easy to install yourself, I did mine on the driveway, crawled underneath with the truck on the ground and adjusted until I got it even as I could.

OP
OP
JavierMar7

JavierMar7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've got a spohn one on mine, right side was an inch or so out when I did the belltech 964. It's easy to install yourself, I did mine on the driveway, crawled underneath with the truck on the ground and adjusted until I got it even as I could.

Spohn, I messaged Inez and they recommended the same one, thanks !

RTnoob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got a Belltech 964hkp kit, it's 2x4 but Im running GF 2" rears. 2x4 is a little to low for me, I tow a lot and don't like the sag.

What's the backstory on that?

I drive "kinda" hard, it broke, so I upgraded

20190519_164402.jpg

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yeah KustomBlackGunz upgraded to the Core also - spendy, but if you need the strength it's clearly a better unit.

For general on road use/towing I would think the Spohn or the BWoody version (http://bwoodyperformance.com/proddetail.php?prod=250.3005) would be fine. For "spirited" driving I can see moving to the CORE version. :).

Hell here's a CORE knock off for 1/3 the price. Don't know anything about it though...

https://www.amazon.com/Freedom-OffRoad-Adjustable-Panhard-2009-2018/dp/B07B6TCTSP

RTnoob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That Core knock off might be better than a Spohn.

aramos3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You will definitely need the adjustable pan hard bar, I am running the sphon one with the inez 5/7 drop on a regular cab.

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
That Core knock off might be better than a Spohn.

Yeah I am considering giving it a try.. :). Just not sure what "Hardened Rubber Bushings" means - I would think they would have urethane bushings?

Freedom Offroad is listed as a "Auto Parts Manufacturer" in NC, but I think they source a lot from China. Their UCA's get decent reviews on the Tacoma and F150 sites as a good budget option.

hdoggie24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
So these adjustable panhard bars say they are good for lifts 0-4 inches. Does that matter if you lowering? If people are 5 inches or more lowered would these 0-4 inch ones for lift work? I'm a bit lost.