5.7 hemi differences

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DesertWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm potentially going to get a SuperCharger in the future. With the 2500 Ram are there any differences in the accessories on the front of the motor that a supercharger for 09 hemi would make a difference?

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The only difference for the 09+, I believe, are different heads and a different intake and VVT, which could lead to different positioning of the accessories.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What usaf2006 mentioned, in 2009 they switched to the Eagle head with the VVT or as Chrysler calls it VCT. This can be done away with when eagle heads are swapped onto a earlier block which I believe is possible. the apache head is not compatible with the 5.7L though.

Here is a link with some of the head specs if you need that kinda info... I cant find any info yet on the earlier 5.7L heads yet.
Inside The G3 Hemi Cylinder Head - Hot Rod Network

But if you are getting your hands on a 2009+ supercharger, might as well up grad to the eagle heads and swap those, cause If I understand it is a upgrade to earlier pre 2009 5.7L, then you just need non vvt lifters for a eagle head.

OP
OP
DesertWagon

DesertWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the info. I think I was reading the eagle heads do flow a little better than the earlier hemi heads and I think they produce a little more compression. I was thinking about a procharger set up.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
The VVT heads swap over just fine, the '07 engine pictured below ran ported Eagle heads with a thicker Cometic gasket just fine with a final compression ratio of 10.75:1. What year is the engine/truck you want to put the supercharger on?

There's a big difference between the pre-Eagle and Eagle front cover. A supercharger from an '09+ (1500 or '10+ 2500) won't bolt to the earlier engine (or vice versa), I tried going the other way with my cog drive setup and it doesn't work.

Here is my '09 VVT front cover with the intermediate supercharger plate

IMG_1061_zpsnxydxcum.jpg

Here is a Procharger from an '09 1500 with the VVT Eagle engine

IMG_0880_zpshro3aido.jpg

Here is my '07 non-VVT engine with the 6.1L intake manifold bracket on it, all the holes on the passenger side are used to bolt up the procharger.

IMG_3120.jpg

The big changes as you can see are the relocation of the A/C and alternator, change in location of the upper radiator hose, tensioner, and all the idler pulleys.

OP
OP
DesertWagon

DesertWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The VVT heads swap over just fine, the '07 engine pictured below ran ported Eagle heads with a thicker Cometic gasket just fine with a final compression ratio of 10.75:1. What year is the engine/truck you want to put the supercharger on?

There's a big difference between the pre-Eagle and Eagle front cover. A supercharger from an '09+ (1500 or '10+ 2500) won't bolt to the earlier engine (or vice versa), I tried going the other way with my cog drive setup and it doesn't work.

Here is my '09 VVT front cover with the intermediate supercharger plate

IMG_1061_zpsnxydxcum.jpg

Here is a Procharger from an '09 1500 with the VVT Eagle engine

IMG_0880_zpshro3aido.jpg

Here is my '07 non-VVT engine with the 6.1L intake manifold bracket on it, all the holes on the passenger side are used to bolt up the procharger.

IMG_3120.jpg

The big changes as you can see are the relocation of the A/C and alternator, change in location of the upper radiator hose, tensioner, and all the idler pulleys.
Hey thank you for the pics. It helps. I'm trying to trade for a procharger right now so we will see how it goes.

OP
OP
DesertWagon

DesertWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just found your Supercharger threads. Wow you have done a lot of work. I'm wanting more power for my 08 Powerwagon.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
I just found your Supercharger threads. Wow you have done a lot of work. I'm wanting more power for my 08 Powerwagon.

If it's an '08 then you need a 3rd gen supercharger; no supercahrger from the VVT engine will fit onto the pre-eagle block, the accessory drive system is completely different as well with the pre-eagle running a 7-rib belt and the Eagle engine running a 6-rib plus it's spaced further from the block to have room behind the timing cover for the VVT assembly on the cam.

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The VVT heads swap over just fine, the '07 engine pictured below ran ported Eagle heads with a thicker Cometic gasket just fine with a final compression ratio of 10.75:1. .

What intake did you run while running eagle heads on the 08 and older block?

were adapters required, or just the cometic gaskets vs factory o-rings?

thanks!

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
What intake did you run while running eagle heads on the 08 and older block?

were adapters required, or just the cometic gaskets vs factory o-rings?

thanks!

I ran the 6.1L intake manifold pictured with the spacer brackets and machined timing cover. The pre-Eagle manifold will bolt into place but it's not ideal airflow. You can use the Eagle intake manifold but there will be no short runner switch unless you run an independent rpm switch and you'll need to move the MAP sensor harness to the new location.

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I ran the 6.1L intake manifold pictured with the spacer brackets and machined timing cover. The pre-Eagle manifold will bolt into place but it's not ideal airflow. You can use the Eagle intake manifold but there will be no short runner switch unless you run an independent rpm switch and you'll need to move the MAP sensor harness to the new location.

the RPM switch could be solved with a car-eagle manifold, as they aren't "active"

assuming the spacer brackets would accept it, or maybe the new edelbrock intake they are releasing.

What needed machined on your Timing cover? Clearance for TB on the 6.1 intake?

Basically... I'm pondering the functionality of an ATK stroker short block (32 tooth) wearing eagle heads, and a car-eagle, or a edelbrock intake. As a replacement for my truck 07.

assume TB wires would need extended. But not seeing any huge limitations other than tuning.

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/mc/manifolds/chrysler/victor-efi-hemi.shtml

http://paceperformance.com/i-238601...block-flat-top-pistons-32-tooth-pre-2009.html

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
the RPM switch could be solved with a car-eagle manifold, as they aren't "active"

assuming the spacer brackets would accept it, or maybe the new edelbrock intake they are releasing.

What needed machined on your Timing cover? Clearance for TB on the 6.1 intake?

Basically... I'm pondering the functionality of an ATK stroker short block (32 tooth) wearing eagle heads, and a car-eagle, or a edelbrock intake. As a replacement for my truck 07.

assume TB wires would need extended. But not seeing any huge limitations other than tuning.

Intake Manifolds - Chrysler - HEMI 5.7L/6.1L/6.4L - Victor EFI - Edelbrock, LLC.

ATK HPE-SP97 Gen III Hemi 392CI Stroker Short Block Flat Top Pistons - 32 Tooth, Pre 2009

Stroker blocks are always a good time and if you're getting one built then look at low compression pistons because with the Eagle heads you're looking at a CR around 10 with stock gaskets and that's fine for pump gas. If you ran the LX car intake manifold it's the same as a 6.1L manifold where it would need the machined timing cover and bracket to spread the A/C and alternator apart. I would stick with the truck's manifold because it's been shown to flow the best in the lower RPM and tops out around 5500rpm compared to the cars which flowed up to 6000rpm but had less flow below 3500rpm.

Factory timing cover
IMG_3052.jpg

Machined timing cover

IMG_3097.jpg

IMG_3100.jpg

You'll need to trim one ear off the alternator to fit any car manifold with the spacer bracket

IMG_3111.jpg

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks! So where /who did the timing cover come from?

Wonder if porting the stocker, or the edelbrock, solves the issue with tb clearance. Really dunno about a window switch on an active intake. Suppose its doable, but seems like it'd be a bugger to tune with. Suppose swapping to the LX tc warrants all new accessories...

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Thanks! So where /who did the timing cover come from?

Wonder if porting the stocker, or the edelbrock, solves the issue with tb clearance. Really dunno about a window switch on an active intake. Suppose its doable, but seems like it'd be a bugger to tune with. Suppose swapping to the LX tc warrants all new accessories...

Stock/ported truck intake from pre-Eagle and Eagle 5.7L aren't an issue with clearance as neither needs to go between the accessories. The active intake off an RPM switch is very easy to do using a nitrous window switch or any of the other multitude of rpm switches out there that take a signal off either a coil pack feed wire or and injector wire. Using the LX timing cover requires the use of all LX accessories and the alternator is mounted low on the passenger side and most people have issues with it hitting the frame rail if it goes on at all. You'd also need custom radiator hoses, A/C lines, etc.

3rd Strike Performance still sells the modified timing cover and bracket but it's not cheap these days I hear.

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Stock/ported truck intake from pre-Eagle and Eagle 5.7L aren't an issue with clearance as neither needs to go between the accessories. The active intake off an RPM switch is very easy to do using a nitrous window switch or any of the other multitude of rpm switches out there that take a signal off either a coil pack feed wire or and injector wire. Using the LX timing cover requires the use of all LX accessories and the alternator is mounted low on the passenger side and most people have issues with it hitting the frame rail if it goes on at all. You'd also need custom radiator hoses, A/C lines, etc.

3rd Strike Performance still sells the modified timing cover and bracket but it's not cheap these days I hear.

Ya I figured the LX set up was completely different.

Is 3rd strike where your intake spacers came from to?. I guess one of the truck intakes would be best at the end of the day. Thanks again for the insight.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Ya I figured the LX set up was completely different.

Is 3rd strike where your intake spacers came from to?. I guess one of the truck intakes would be best at the end of the day. Thanks again for the insight.

The only intake spacers that are made go from 5.7L non-Eagle head intake ports to the Eagle/LX intake manifold ports, not the other way. 3rd strike carries them but they are all made by Modern Muscle.

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Oh...so the eagle heads /intake are a simple bolt on, as long as cometic gaskets are used.

Adaptors are only needed to put a 6.1 or eagle intake on old heads. Do I have that right?

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Any opinion on TorqStorm superchargers?

They're a good bracket system. There is no intercooler so I'd recommend putting your own together if you want to control your IATs unless you decide to run water methanol injection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk