5.7 Hemi No-Mess Oil Filter Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1stHEMI

Reaction score
After the first time I made a mess changing the oil filter, I decided to come up with a better plan. It worked, but that was the 'prototype' and this time I finally decided to make a video and share with others.
This is what I do, and it keeps me from having to wipe up a mess afterwards, so if it will work for you, I'm sharing it. If you have a better way, make a video and share it. I've used this for three oil changes and no mess. (except that time I kicked over the filter full of oil before installing it). lol

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
After the first time I made a mess changing the oil filter, I decided to come up with a better plan. It worked, but that was the 'prototype' and this time I finally decided to make a video and share with others.
This is what I do, and it keeps me from having to wipe up a mess afterwards, so if it will work for you, I'm sharing it. If you have a better way, make a video and share it. I've used this for three oil changes and no mess. (except that time I kicked over the filter full of oil before installing it). lol

Do you make video's and narrate them for a living,lol.That's one of the most professional home video's i've ran across,and it's good.Great idea

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Very clever idea. I've never seen a flat sided water jug like that sold around here, but I'll be looking for one now.

-K

OP
OP

1stHEMI

Reaction score
Do you make video's and narrate them for a living,lol.That's one of the most professional home video's i've ran across,and it's good.Great idea
Thanks...
I started dabbling in video production a couple of years ago for TV commercial at work; I've done some voiceover work in the past, so I have a little experience but far from professional. Getting better though.. I hope!

OP
OP

1stHEMI

Reaction score
That's a good idea!

However, contrary to the video, I use a filter wrench to tighten the filter 3/4 to 1 turn after the gasket touches the engine block.
I learned the hard way to not use a wrench to tighten, couldn't get a filter off one day. To each their own, but I get it hand tight and then give it one last twist - usually get an extra 1/4-turn from it, using a wrench is fine, but too many think they need to crank on it, and that's not really necessary. That rubber gasket (get it wet with oil so it goes on better) will expand a little with the heat and keep the filter tight.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Great idea. One suggestion, attach a hose to your funnel ( use silicone caulk to make the round hose seal tightly around the square funnel). That way you can run the hose right into the pan or a jug and make it windproof.

OP
OP

1stHEMI

Reaction score
Great idea. One suggestion, attach a hose to your funnel ( use silicone caulk to make the round hose seal tightly around the square funnel). That way you can run the hose right into the pan or a jug and make it windproof.
Good idea. I usually put the drain pan on something so it's higher up, but it gets in the way for shooting video. I have a small step stool/tool box that I use and it puts the pan right up there under the drain.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
I have already been using this method for quite awhile ... I use an empty half gallon used Clorox bottle because the smaller diameter fits between things better ... I purchased a oil funnel/tube and attach the tube with the screw on shut off/on plastic valve to the old Clorox bottle ...

Attachments

• IMG_20210831_134741415.jpg
    IMG_20210831_134741415.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_20210831_134701274.jpg
    IMG_20210831_134701274.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 55

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I learned the hard way to not use a wrench to tighten, couldn't get a filter off one day. To each their own, but I get it hand tight and then give it one last twist - usually get an extra 1/4-turn from it, using a wrench is fine, but too many think they need to crank on it, and that's not really necessary. That rubber gasket (get it wet with oil so it goes on better) will expand a little with the heat and keep the filter tight.
Engine filters are know to back off and leak once in awhile. I give an extra 1/2 turn on m ine. Goes against everything I was taught also.

RamHemi18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Brilliant! I will be doing this next oil change. I dumped a whole filter full of oil on my power steering rack last oil change. Pretty sure my neighbor heard me swearing!

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Engine filters are know to back off and leak once in awhile. I give an extra 1/2 turn on m ine. Goes against everything I was taught also.
Same

Govtman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Nice.