5.7 timing, is this normal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
First a little backstory, truck is a 2011 1500, 5.7 hemi obviously. I bought it as is, wouldn’t idle, died every time it went into gear, had generic misfire codes. On disassembly I found a snapped valve spring on #5 intake, which explains those issues. I ended up removing the heads to replace the lifters as well, not because it needed them but at 227k miles the internet told me I’d be foolish not to, ha. I did not remove the cam.

Before I had found the snapped valve spring, I removed the timing cover thinking it may be a timing issue. According to the book, when the dot on the crank sprocket is at 6 o’clock, the mark on the cam gear should be at 12 o’clock. But it didn’t quite line up that way for me, if the crank was at 6 the cam was a little past 12, and if the cam was at 12 the crank wouldn’t quite be at 6. This being my first time disassembling any motor, much less a hemi, I assumed that meant it had skipped time.

Fast forward to now, new lifters are in, heads are on, valve spring replaced. Pushrods and rocker arms are not yet in place. I went to set the time, and found everything lines up exactly how it was on disassembly, with the marks on the cam and crank not quite lining up according to the book. The crank sprocket, chain, and guide are ultra-power replacements.

All that’s a long way of asking my question; is this just normal for the sprocket marks to not exactly line up? Or is something goofy going on. Pictures below.

BEFORE disassembly:

IMG_0128.jpeg
IMG_0127.jpeg
IMG_0126.jpeg

AFTER, attempting to reassemble:

IMG_0488.jpeg
IMG_0486.jpeg
IMG_0484.jpeg

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

OP
OP
mrack

mrack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That just says to set the crank and cam to 6 and 12 like a dozen other threads and videos. My problem is I can’t get it to a perfect 12 and 6, and I don’t know if that’s normal or not.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
That just says to set the crank and cam to 6 and 12 like a dozen other threads and videos. My problem is I can’t get it to a perfect 12 and 6, and I don’t know if that’s normal or not.
It won't be exactly at the 6:00,it'll probably be like a 1/2 tooth off the 6:00. Spin it over by hand several times (at least 8 complete turns) before buttoning it all back together,as long as nothing is binding,you're probably good to go

OP
OP
mrack

mrack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It won't be exactly at the 6:00,it'll probably be like a 1/2 tooth off the 6:00. Spin it over by hand several times (at least 8 complete turns) before buttoning it all back together,as long as nothing is binding,you're probably good to go
Exactly what I was looking for, thank you!

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Check the cam phaser. It may not be returning to home position all the way.

Being a 2011, I'd replace the cam phaser anyways.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 112373 miles.

Mr300

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My Truck Had exactly the same symptoms as your truck. My 2015 Tradesman with 152,000 miles suddenly started running rough. Had it towed to a local repair shop. They diagnosed a bad lifter and cam. Wanted 6,000 to rebuild and 10,000 to replace the engine.
I Said no thank you, I can fix it myself.
I did fix it myself. In one day and on the first day of the project.
I fixed it for $80.00
#5 broken valve spring.
Because I bought the truck new and took very good care of it and there were no other problems, I did not take the engine apart.
5,000 miles later ----
Still smiling about the 6,000.00 I saved.

OP
OP
mrack

mrack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got it all back together, was filling it with coolant and it started pouring water off the drivers side manifold lol. Somehow the head gasket didn’t seal at all there, at least that’s the only thing I can think of, hard to see that area. There are no coolant hoses or anything in the area. Hopefully I can get the head off without having to pull the timing cover and all the accessories but we’ll see.

IMG_0502.jpeg

Hagar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got it all back together, was filling it with coolant and it started pouring water off the drivers side manifold lol. Somehow the head gasket didn’t seal at all there, at least that’s the only thing I can think of, hard to see that area. There are no coolant hoses or anything in the area. Hopefully I can get the head off without having to pull the timing cover and all the accessories but we’ll see.

View attachment 543591
You likey put the wrong head gasket on. There are left and right heads and left and right gaskets.
Left side is driver's side.

OP
OP
mrack

mrack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You likey put the wrong head gasket on. There are left and right heads and left and right gaskets.
Left side is driver's side.
I triple checked but we’ll see when I pull it off.

OP
OP
mrack

mrack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don’t think it’s a head gasket or bolt thing, even the cheapest china gaskets should seal and last at least a little while. My guess is some debris is stuck in there, or like mentioned I somehow got the gasket backwards or on the wrong side.

Just a thought, do any of the manifold bolts go into water jackets in the head?

Last edited: