5.9 V8 not starting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oktm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.9 magnum
I am running out of ideas on this thing, so any suggestions would be appreciated! I have a 2003 1500 with the 5.9 Magnum.
My wife backed the truck out of the driveway and got about 10 fee onto the road when it quit working. I got it back into the driveway and started trying to diagnose it. It turns over, no sounds of even attempting to fire.
Here is a list of what I tried:
Checked fuses and swapped important relays. No start.
Checked for spark at the coil, there is spark.
Sprayed some ether into the intake, no start or change of sound.
Checked spark on Cyl 1, I was not seeing any.
Replaced wires, cap, rotor and spark plugs. No start/change.
Tried ether again, no change.
Pulled ASD relay and cranked for about 20 seconds to clear cylinders. (It was smelling of fumes, thought maybe flooded?)
Put relay back in and cranked some more. No change
Pulled spark plug and got Cyl 1 at TDC.
Checked position of rotor and it felt like it is pointing at Cyl 1.
Checked each wire to make sure it was on the correct post of the cap for the Cyl it was connected to.
Cranked some more, no change.
Cranking sound sounds normal to me.
Pulled Cyl 1's plug and watched spark carefully. It looks like it is sparking at a regular interval while the engine is cranking (Does not look like it may be missing spark/erratic)
This thing has me completely baffled. Any ideas? Am I missing something obvious?

LoneWolf3574

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Air, check. Fuel, ??? Spark, check.

Check your fuel pressure, you should have 47-51 PSI (Key On Engine Off).

EDIT - I'm not sure, but I think these engines have a crank and cam position sensor. Check to see if the wires are connected, broken, or rubbed. Either of these having failed or disconnected will prevent the injectors from firing.

1628858908008.png

Last edited:

Nick_rp

I=V/R
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500
Engine
5.7 Sport
Codes?

Since ether didnt do anything, dont worry about fuel.

Since the original problem was no spark, most likely the cap and rotor is what fixed it. Since you changed everything, double verify your firing order. This diagram is for your truck, 2003 5.9. Sometimes people get confused which cylinder is what.

Screenshot_20210813-074621_Chrome.jpg

If it persists after that, your left with timing, air and compression.

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
Problem #1 is you let your wife drive the truck.... ;)

Skatulaki

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 1500
Engine
5.9 liter 360
Get someone to crank it, in the dark, while you have hood up, see if you see sparking anywhere ! I once had a Dakota that wasn't running right. Took it to the dealer and they told me spark plugs. Just by chance I had the hood up while it was dark out, and when I started it, it lit up like a x-mas tree, spark plug wires shorting everywhere. Yes, you replaced the wires, but my point is : If your spark is shorting, you might be able to see where, if you try it in the dark.