5th radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pgartner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
i will be going on my 5th radio in my 2019 Ram. Vehicle has 63000 miles on it. I am guessing this will be what happens for the rest of the time having the vehicle since Ram refuses to acknowledge there must be another problem causing the radios to go bad.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
i will be going on my 5th radio in my 2019 Ram. Vehicle has 63000 miles on it. I am guessing this will be what happens for the rest of the time having the vehicle since Ram refuses to acknowledge there must be another problem causing the radios to go bad.
What exactly is happening?

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Mleads310

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
More details would definitely help us all understand a bit better, as well as help others with the possible same problem?

OP
OP
P

pgartner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Basically, since owning the truck, the radio starts to freeze up at about 12-15,000 miles. The dealership thinks it could be power surges that are eventually causing the radio to malfunction but Ram won't test for that since it would involve a much greater cost to find out and could be very costly to fix the electric in the truck. Instead, they will continue to replace the radio, hoping that I get out of warranty before it breaks again.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Basically, since owning the truck, the radio starts to freeze up at about 12-15,000 miles. The dealership thinks it could be power surges that are eventually causing the radio to malfunction but Ram won't test for that since it would involve a much greater cost to find out and could be very costly to fix the electric in the truck. Instead, they will continue to replace the radio, hoping that I get out of warranty before it breaks again.
The next time it happens I'd be interested to see what happens if you unplug the center console harness located under the driver seat. I've seen some interesting results on the radio when there is a short there.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a

I'm very sorry to hear this. Have you had a case open for this concern? If not, I would be happy to help! Please send us a private message.

Alison
RamCares

OP
OP
P

pgartner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Now Ram will attempt to fix it by replacing the gateway module.

Brad S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l v8
I'm having similar problems. This is the first I've heard of it being a bigger problem than just me. interested to see what comes of your situation.

OP
OP
P

pgartner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Now Ram will attempt to fix it by replacing the gateway module.
Replacing the gateway module has brought on a whole new set of issues. When using the GPS from my phone, no voice will play through the radio now. Additionally, I need to shut off the radio every time the GPS attempts to play through the radio to get the radio back on. Having customer service that is as bad as RAm's certainly doesn't help.

Rockeydog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Just joined because of my interest in this thread. Does Op happen to have 12 inch screen?
I have a limited that freezes on average of every 2k. Locks me out of all controls on unit....heat, air, fan, stations, volume, etc. FCA has only replaced it once. Their fix is usually re programming unit, and voicing their concern.

clifford15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
My ‘13 Dart does the same nonsense. Black screen and no HVAC controls. Had the screen replaced once in ‘16 under warranty but it has happened twice since then. Now I just disconnect the battery to reset whatever messes up and then its good to go for a long time. The problem is deeper than the screen and probably the telematics gateway as mentioned.

Mamastruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm very sorry to hear this. Have you had a case open for this concern? If not, I would be happy to help! Please send us a private message.

Alison
RamCares
I'm getting ready to have mine replaced for a 5th time my warranty was out on the 4th one so I had to pay my extended care deductible. Not sure why Ram wouldn't cover it since it had already been replaced three times and they know its an issue. It's possessed! It blast us out, reboots itself, freezes and the back up camera is hit or miss either not working or freezing. The worst part is a have to take off work twice one for the dealer to see if they can make it act up and one for them to replace it. I also have to inconvenience someone to come pick me up and take me back as they don't have loaner vehicles anymore.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I'm getting ready to have mine replaced for a 5th time my warranty was out on the 4th one so I had to pay my extended care deductible. Not sure why Ram wouldn't cover it since it had already been replaced three times and they know its an issue. It's possessed! It blast us out, reboots itself, freezes and the back up camera is hit or miss either not working or freezing. The worst part is a have to take off work twice one for the dealer to see if they can make it act up and one for them to replace it. I also have to inconvenience someone to come pick me up and take me back as they don't have loaner vehicles anymore.
Hi Mamastruck,
Sorry to hear you're experiencing these concerns again! Feel free to follow up with us in PM with your VIN, we'd like to look into this further.

Sarah
Ram Cares