CB Radio Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Barricade

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi
Hey all,

I have a Cobra 29 LX BT that I had mounted in my truck but had to pull out due to it not working. I hard wired the power source to the cigarette lighter and have tried 5 different antennas thinking that it may have been the problem. For the life of I cannot figure out why the CB radio does not work when it is inside my truck vs outside. I tested the unit before installing it and it works perfectly fine outside my truck with different antennas. I even exchanged it for a new unit and still having the problem

Has this happened to any one else? Is there something in the Ram truck that causes interference?

Picture for reference of where I installed the CB. I don't have a picture with me because my truck is in another state.

Thank you for any assistance or suggestions!

Attachments

• picture.jpg
    picture.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 13

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Hey all,

I have a Cobra 29 LX BT that I had mounted in my truck but had to pull out due to it not working. I hard wired the power source to the cigarette lighter and have tried 5 different antennas thinking that it may have been the problem. For the life of I cannot figure out why the CB radio does not work when it is inside my truck vs outside. I tested the unit before installing it and it works perfectly fine outside my truck with different antennas. I even exchanged it for a new unit and still having the problem

Has this happened to any one else? Is there something in the Ram truck that causes interference?

Picture for reference of where I installed the CB. I don't have a picture with me because my truck is in another state.

Thank you for any assistance or suggestions!
Truck must be turned to run or ACC for power at the cigarette lighter. Have you checked to see if the plug still has power and the fuse isn't blown? How'd you tap power?

medicineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How about this. Wire the radio directly to the battery. What I mean is run a # 12 wire with positive and negative leads, such as a speaker wire direct to the battery and connect it to your radio. I am retired now but have massive experience installing commercial radios into all types of vehicles. I am also an amateur radio operator with five radios in my 2004 Ram with great service from all. It is never a good idea to connect a radio to the cig lighter, even if the radio comes with the plug.

Hopes this helps you.

Medicineman

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think we need a little more information, more then it doesn't' work in the truck. Kind of like taking a vehicle into the dealer and telling them it is "broke".

zrock

Reaction score
yes more information is needed. what is not working power, reception, static? Have you tried to move the antenna to different locations on your truck as well as moving the antenna cable. that's if it is a reception issue. On my chev i had a issue that when i tested the VHF it did not show its head. But when i went to use it what ever was interfering blew up my sub amp it was feeding back through the radio so bad. I had to move the antenna from the side of the front fender to the box of my truck to clear up the issue..

ANGLICO

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 L Hemi
@Barricade must of abandoned this thread.

I'd really like to know what the issue was.

Power troubleshooting is easy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357