6.1 cam spec

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Greg you can get the 6.1 and run it for awhile and if you decide to go bigger its not hard to swap out. The first install takes awhile but after that you can do a cam change in bout 3 hrs and thats taking your time. The inital change with the springs are what takes the time.

OP
OP
Redtruck-VA

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Kennth,
I am with you on the cam change, I haven't done a 5.7 engine but I have plenty of experience building engines and don't consider it a big deal. I still got some things to do and want to establish a base line before going forward. I appreciate the input. Thanks,

chefred112

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 QC 2wd
Engine
392 Hemi
I have a friend doin a cam install today..they didn't get much done cause they didn't really know what they were doin so I'm heading over there tomorrow to finish what they started..hehe..at least they got all the little stuff outta the way..

RAMpage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
custom 5.7/6.1 hemi hybrid
Ive got a 6.1 cam in my truck and it didnt have as much tq as i was expecting but my motor is built for more mid and top than anything. but then again my tranny has been screwed since the first time i fired on it and is in the process of getting built so i can actually feel what the motors got goin on. the cam helps produce major horsepower startin around 3800 it pulls super hard with a slipping tranny and pulls hard all the way to rev limit. the engine spec is: 5.7 block with forged 6.1 crank and rods, coated 5.7 pistons, 5.7 heads machined for 6.1 components, shaved heads, and the 6.1 cam. ive also got gibson stainless shorties, offroad y pipe with the cat, flowmaster super44 extreme and a vararam hemi under glass rai on it with stock tune still. after i get the tranny built ill have to try the degree advance and see what that does for the bottom end.

Attachments

• 2010-08-10 15.03.00.jpg
    2010-08-10 15.03.00.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 21

RAMpage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
yeah i couldnt find alot of info or comparisions on cams when i had the motor built. if i dont like the lowend after i get it on a dyno to tune it then ill prolly switch it out for a low to mid cam or maybe just have this one worked. i was wondering if anyone has done the dgree change with this cam and if it helped out the bottom end any?

OP
OP
Redtruck-VA

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
I have a friend doin a cam install today..they didn't get much done cause they didn't really know what they were doin so I'm heading over there tomorrow to finish what they started..hehe..at least they got all the little stuff outta the way..

Fred, I know your help will be appreciated. Someone who has experience always makes the job simplier. Well done...

Ive got a 6.1 cam in my truck and it didnt have as much tq as i was expecting but my motor is built for more mid and top than anything. but then again my tranny has been screwed since the first time i fired on it and is in the process of getting built so i can actually feel what the motors got goin on. the cam helps produce major horsepower startin around 3800 it pulls super hard with a slipping tranny and pulls hard all the way to rev limit. the engine spec is: 5.7 block with forged 6.1 crank and rods, coated 5.7 pistons, 5.7 heads machined for 6.1 components, shaved heads, and the 6.1 cam. ive also got gibson stainless shorties, offroad y pipe with the cat, flowmaster super44 extreme and a vararam hemi under glass rai on it with stock tune still. after i get the tranny built ill have to try the degree advance and see what that does for the bottom end.

Rampage, from what I have read 5-6 degree's advance gives the 6.1 some dig. As you are 03, I hope you keep us updated. Do you have have something piggybacked to manipulate the MAP? It shouldn't be needed, but since you are having trans issues I thought I would ask as I believe there is a relationship. Welcome to the forum....

RAMpage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ill for sure keep you all updated. your right there is a relationship between the two but that isnt what caused my tranny problems. too much motor for an already worn tranny. the stock hp rating on a 545 rfe is right around 440 hp and i smoked it a little the first time i stabbed into it and it started slipping and just eventually got worse plus it needed a stall for the cam with the bigger tires so i burnt up 4th driving at highway speeds where it would constantly shift back and forth to lock up. ill have to figure out how to do the degree advance cause ive never done it before and ill for sure let you guys now what she does. tranny should be done in about three more weeks or so i hope.

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
No doubt about It! The 6.1 Cam is hard to beat on the 4 Lane HWY strip once you are Rolling especially with 3:55's there is just not enough Runway!....LOL...hell I Might just throw it in the Magnum for ***** and gigles with a set of headers and SC 3865 to offset the bottum end Loss!

Remember Guys I logged a 6.59 Data Log without the ability to even spin my tires from a dead stop with 33's which proves Something about the 6.1 right there!

Last edited:

RAMpage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
yeah its a beast when your already rollin and ive got 35s and 373s with a stoopid tranny and i was impressed how it threw me in the seat, just needs more bottom end and ill be happy.

OP
OP
Redtruck-VA

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
ill for sure keep you all updated. your right there is a relationship between the two but that isnt what caused my tranny problems. too much motor for an already worn tranny. the stock hp rating on a 545 rfe is right around 440 hp and i smoked it a little the first time i stabbed into it and it started slipping and just eventually got worse plus it needed a stall for the cam with the bigger tires so i burnt up 4th driving at highway speeds where it would constantly shift back and forth to lock up. ill have to figure out how to do the degree advance cause ive never done it before and ill for sure let you guys now what she does. tranny should be done in about three more weeks or so i hope.

Rampage,
There is an adjustable timing kit here Camshafts and the other suppliers also have them. The basic two types. One being a OEM spocket with a offset plug of different degrees placed into a oversized dowel pin hole. The other is keyways cut into the spocket for different degrees. As for large tires. I would suggest gears to remedy that problem. A higher stall coverter is best for just letting the engine move into a stronger torque range. At highway speed the TC should be locked otherwise there will be a lot of heat generated. Anyway that's my 2 cents.

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
To bad about your Tranny. I won;t comment on Tranny;s since mine is 100% (Knock on wood) at 236 K Kilometers! But then again me and my Truck, well we TALK!

LOL...Welcome to RF. I see there are lots of fellows readin this thread now!
I think though that you may be mistaken about the 3:73's!

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Inertia sells an awesome Timing chain Kit!

RAMpage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
na unfortunatly shes runnin 373s. got the build specs for it and thats whats on the sheet. im wantin to put 410s in it but i dont know if imma stay with the 35s or throw 38s on her when the 35s wear out. and your guys 2 cents is well aprriciated. im gonna for sure do the timing change on it, but my tranny guy said it will be a whole new animal after i get this tranny work done so hopefully ill have a monster to play with lol

OP
OP
Redtruck-VA

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
na unfortunatly shes runnin 373s. got the build specs for it and thats whats on the sheet. im wantin to put 410s in it but i dont know if imma stay with the 35s or throw 38s on her when the 35s wear out. and your guys 2 cents is well aprriciated. im gonna for sure do the timing change on it, but my tranny guy said it will be a whole new animal after i get this tranny work done so hopefully ill have a monster to play with lol

This is a thread primarily about camshafts, lets keep that way. Start a thread about your truck as there is going to be a lot of responses about your 3:73"s. Good luck...

HemiSwapped06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
look at me. mine was supposed to work with sc and we all know that didnt happen

Mine runs fine on a stock 4.7 program, SC 4.7 program, and a stock 5.7 based SCT program. It runs better on my own custom tuning, but I tried it will all three of the above and it runs well. The first 3 go way lean above 4,000 rpm.

HemiSwapped06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
im glad you had good luck with it. for some reason, one PCM might take a cam/tune way better than another one. no idea why.

Probably because they are on different revisions of the tune. A revision can drastically change fuel/spark mapping inside the PCM and most of the time as the revisions progress they get progressively weaker. For example the PCM in my truck has about 7 different revisions. When I first bought the truck it was on AC and when I stopped letting the dealer update it it was on AF. AF had alot less timing than AC and the 4.7 really suffered on it.

HemiSwapped06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
true. just odd that they would have such drastic difference between stock PCM's

Just look at what the "death flash" did to the 5.2 and 5.9. Made them slugs to make up for an engineering defect that allowed pinging due to oil vapors into the intake charge via the lower plenum gasket. Mother Mopars solution was to pull 8-10* of timing advance.