6.4 Cooler thermostat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nebraskan22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 litre
I have seen a few posts about getting a 6.4 to run cooler so here goes. I have a 2015 that I bought with a bad 6.4. I installed a SRT8 6.4, did MDS, EGR delete and installed long tube headers. The engine and oil temps always bugged me and I had to pull a bunch of timing because of spark knock. A combination of cooler temps and a set of cooler plugs has allowed me to bring some timing back in and start seeing the full potential of this engine in a 3500 pickup. I bought a used thermostat housing then modified it to hold a 185 degree thermostat. There part number from Carquest is 14748. If you remove the factory rubber that thermostat fits perfectly after slight modification. You'll need two of the heating elements that insert into the housing. One to cut off and plug the hole and the other to plug in and secure somewhere to keep the ECM happy. I run 185 to 190 degrees now with 200 degree oil temps. A lot of work through HP Tuners has been done but I didn't have to change anything after I dropped the operating temps.

OP
OP
N

Nebraskan22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 litre
I don't really have much for pics. All I did was cut the two legs off that hold the integrated thermostat and use a Dremel to machine out for the new thermostat. Simply cut off the element that sticks into it. It looks totally stock except for the second heating element just hanging out.