6.4 hemi Lifter failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dynamic Towing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 , 2014
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I own a 2014 Ram 3500 and Ram 5500 . Both with the 6.4 Hemi. In March of this year I got a check engine light code for misfire . Led to be a failed lifter . Had to replace the whole valve train . It had 140k miles . This week my 5500 with 90K did the same . Has anyone else had lifter issues ?? is the oil I use not the right one ( mobile 0w 40 full syn ) ??

46456270_1718927904878455_5982879908500602880_n.jpg

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Limited 4x4
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins Turbo Diesel
I own a 2014 Ram 3500 and Ram 5500 . Both with the 6.4 Hemi. In March of this year I got a check engine light code for misfire . Led to be a failed lifter . Had to replace the whole valve train . It had 140k miles . This week my 5500 with 90K did the same . Has anyone else had lifter issues ?? is the oil I use not the right one ( mobile 0w 40 full syn ) ??

View attachment 146675

Ohh that looks familiar... Looks a lot like the failure the 1500 Hemi's are seeing.

Wondering if oil pressure at idle is too low when at operating temp.

Idle hours pretty high on these?

ripping r

Old&Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
that sucks! you are not the first to have this problem. It worries me. Is there a good aftermarket cam and lifters. Or are we stuck with stock? A good towing cam would be nice. I would install one in my 3,000 mile 6.4. If it kept me from this. and i got more power.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Sad to hear, maybe Ram forum members will wake up and realize this **** is common. 2 fkin trucks and two cam fails, shejus. m1 is a great oil in 0w40, what I call super class oils, there is a ton of reasons why. Also, PUP 0w40 maybe a little better as it has more moly, but the base may not be as good. So if you want to invest in oil as good as it gets, I can't say you will avoid this or not, but Redline 5w40 is hemi honey. Super high moly to protect cams and high zinc along with ester/pao base fluid. There is no UP from there, if you want the heartiest oil made that it is. Nick from gotexhuast has the best price per qrt, less then direct from redline.. Sorry you are on the wrong side of the cam/lifter lotto.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Has anyone else had lifter issues ??

It is the main weakness in these hemi's, every week on average we have another member post it up. We were hoping that the 40 weight would protect the 6.4, but it looks like it didn't. It must be spring rate or something causing back pressure on that cam lob. It might be unavoidable. The hemi is this great engine, but it has this one damn weakness in it.

Garce421

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Damn did not want to see any more of these! I posted a new thread a few threads down about replacing cam and lifters as preventative maintenance and the response was generally that I was nuts, but more of those keep popping up!

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
I really find it hard to believe it is an oil pressure issue....there should be wear on all cam lobes if that were the case. I think the roller bearings are failing on the lifters.....no roll = lobe dig.
Got 2 be a root cause for the needle bearings though...oil related?

[QUOTE
OIL CONTAMINATION

An engine can never be “too clean” during assembly. While properly cleaning a block is a time-consuming activity that usually requires specialized equipment like a hot tank and a heated parts washer, there is no getting around the bottle brushes. Bearing failure can often be traced to a build-up of dislodged sludge BEHIND the oil opening left over from an improper cleaning.

Dirt and grime accumulates throughout the oil passages, especially in engines that suffered an internal failure. It hides in nooks and corners, and simply blowing the passages out with compressed air can compact the grime even more. They must be thoroughly rinsed and scrubbed until no trace remains. Any and all oil galley plugs must be removed (even if they have to be drilled and tapped for NPT plugs) and the passages brushed out, as they offer access to critical debris collection points. Floss all crank oiling holes and rinse out pushrods, even if they are new.

Cams, lifters and bearings rely on a microscopic film of lubricating oil to keep them from galling, and any debris or grit suspended in the oil becomes an abrasive that quickly destroys their surfaces or gets stuck within the close clearances. Block those life-giving oil passages and the bearing or lifter begins to fail. This is especially true of silicone contamination left over from gasket surfaces, or excess material pinched at installation that drops into the block.

Bottom line, if you want your cam and lifters to live, it has to be clean, clean, clean!

INSUFFICIENT OILING OR HIGH OILING TEMPS

Proper oiling is key to cam and lifter life.

The “Four Rs of Proper Oiling” are the Right oil, at the Right place, at the Right time in the Right amount. Under normal operating conditions, oil temperatures do not spike. A rise in oil temperature is usually the result of a mechanical bind or blockage causing excess heat, such as a lifter sticking in a bore or a clogged passage.

ZDDP wear additives need heat and pressure to release the zinc molecule and form the protective phosphate coating in an even and calculated amount. With excess heat, the chemical reaction that forms the film doesn’t occur and the additives then become antioxidants and instead get consumed. This translates into the oil “breaking down” or losing its ability to “pad” the metal contact surfaces, and damage will occur.

Low oil pressure doesn’t create enough “padding,” or oil depth, between the moving parts. This allows them to touch and generate heat and begin to fail. A good rule of thumb is 10 lbs of oil pressure for every 1,000 RPM. A high-volume oil pump is wise when increasing RPM.
][/QUOTE]

http://www.cpgnation.com/top-10-cam-failure-culprits/

ripping r

Old&Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I really find it hard to believe it is an oil pressure issue....there should be wear on all cam lobes if that were the case. I think the roller bearings are failing on the lifters.....no roll = lobe dig.
I agree. ktm motorcycles have this problem. the 690. lots ideas but really its just junk rollers.

Garce421

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wonder if the piece holder the roller pin is flexing. I bought some USA made Johnson Hylift lifters for my Hemi and they are solid around the lifter roller.

Johnson lifters Hemi
71lUXAxywxL._SX425_.jpg

Oem Hemi lifter.
05-13-Jeep-Dodge-Chrysler-57L-Hemi-Valve-Lifters.jpg

Did you replace the cam too?

ramdriver2018

Trusted internet source
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looks just like a wiped out flat tappet cam.
I’d wager the roller seized.
I Don’t think roller cams are THAT picky about oil, if they were, I wouldn’t have gotten over 200,000 miles out of my 08 hemi with the cheapest non synthetics I could buy off the shelf. Hell. I probably added the odd quart of used oil when I was in a real pinch. Leaky exhaust manifold yes, cam lifter problem, never.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
Looks just like a wiped out flat tappet cam.
I’d wager the roller seized.
I Don’t think roller cams are THAT picky about oil, if they were, I wouldn’t have gotten over 200,000 miles out of my 08 hemi with the cheapest non synthetics I could buy off the shelf. Hell. I probably added the odd quart of used oil when I was in a real pinch. Leaky exhaust manifold yes, cam lifter problem, never.

08 hemi didn't have MDS lifters which in my opinion is failing and taking out the valvetrain with it.

I'll be swapping to a non mds lifter before 100k hits the clock.

ramdriver2018

Trusted internet source
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
08 hemi didn't have MDS lifters which in my opinion is failing and taking out the valvetrain with it.

I'll be swapping to a non mds lifter before 100k hits the clock.

My hemi was mds, my brothers 07 hemi was Mds. 06 was last year of non mds.
But I’m not a mechanic. I just turn wrenches.