6.4 Hemi overall experiences?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pcschwenke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have a 2016 3500 SWR with the 6.4 and 4:10 gears. It tows our 9200 camper well and I have no regrets. Had a 2015 with the 5.7 preciously and there’s no comparison with power throughout the RPM range. I do recommend getting the 4:10’gears. It took a while to find though!

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I've had my truck for 2.5 years now. Got 56000 miles on it. I have had zero issues with anything except my radio (hands free dont work right). I love the truck. It rides pretty rough for a family cruiser but we still usually take it on family vacations over my wife's sedan. It tows great for a gas motor. I'm a construction contractor and work it hard 5 days a week and cruise it on weekends. I am however getting a little itch for a diesel. My work truck before this was a tuned/deleted Cummins and I just wish the raw power and torque that motor had. Plus as much as i drive a few more mpg wouldnt hurt neither. I'm having to fight the itch now as financially paying off this truck as fast as possible is the best thing to do but that big diesel seems to be calling my name.

ripping r

Old&Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I absolutely love my 6.4 Hemi
I’ll never have a small motor again

I Love my 18 Ram 2500HD 4x4 CC
Blue Streak Pearl off-road
I feel the same. but i wont go back to a diesel again.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I feel the same. but i wont go back to a diesel again also.

I don’t think I’d want a diesel.
I had a 2004 gmc 6.6 duramax and it was a great motor.
Ram forever baby!!!!!!

ripping r

Old&Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I don’t think I’d want a diesel.
I had a 2004 gmc 6.6 duramax and it was a great motor.
Ram forever baby!!!!!!

I had an 06 5.9 manual. great truck but after 11 years of owning it. I just got fed up with the cost of running it. cant belive what the new ones cost with all the crap on them.

Last edited:

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I had an 06 5.9 manual. great truck but after 11 years of owning it. I just got fed up with the cost of running it. cant belive what the news cost with all the crap on them.

I agree to much for emissions maintenance. I’ll stick with my gas motor

R.D.J.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I cant say enough praise about the 6.4, thus far.

I don't tow anything, but just use it as a daily driver. Biggest thing it hauls is the family, so keep that in mind of my review.

I wanted a big safe truck for highway travel, even for as little of it that I do. (I commute 5 miles to work) I drove my 2001 diesel the other week, and while I could say it would definitely win in a drag race, and perhaps even with a trailer behind it, (its pretty stoutly modded) I would never go back as a daily driver. Ever. This truck has more than enough jam to get its heavy rear end where it needs to go. Comfy cab, starts -30 without block heater or need for Webasto. Combine that with the advancements in ride quality/cab comfort, and Im defintely impressed.

One thing of note that I definitely observed, was its behavior in winter, namely deep snow. I only had experience with daily driving trucks that were diesels, so being my first gas, I was pleasantly surprised. Daily driving a diesel, be it any make/model, you have to be a bit mindful of the excess of weight over the front axle. Meaning, the front end would dig pretty heavily in deeper snow, and if you were navigating some deep snow sections, you may be forcefully committed when entering some hairy situations. Not nearly as noticeable with the 6.4. It definitely "floats" more by comparison. Same scenario is present when driving on icy roads. Lots of weight in front, and little in the back, makes for a different driving style. 100% impressed by this truck.

Jughed

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Crew Long Bed
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Love my 6.4/4.10 so far... just turned 4k.

2k +/- of that is towing my 8.2k travel trailer, and I hauled my first load of firewood yesterday. 2/3 cord of hardwood in the bed, 3k+/- - truck didn't know it was in there.

While towing on the freeway, east coast mountains included - I set the cruise at 63 and let the truck do its job. Easy shifts into 3rd on the grades - stays dead on 63 @3600 RPM.

If I try to control the speed uphill - it just keeps pulling right past 70 with ease... and I'm not using much pedal.

CMV157

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've had my 6.4 with 4:10 about 9 months and 9000 miles. Coming from a 6.7 Cummins and a 1500 5.7 before the diesel. So far I love it, and the power is noticeably increasing with mileage. The only issue I've had is a recent uconnect update which changed the EQ settings and the radio doesn't sound quite as good. Hoping a patch comes for that. The truck runs so smooth, love the coil suspension. The only time I wish for the diesel back is at elevation or trying to go 75-80mph with a heavy load. Almost all the other things I do with the truck I prefer this one. Pulled several 6-7% grades in CO with 9-10k and it did all of them in 2nd gear at the speed limit (45-55) without much fuss, and all temps stayed 100% normal. It's just if you wanted to go from 45 to 55 in that scenario it would be a decent workout for it and the diesel would do it without thinking. Downhill braking with manual mode is very good too. No major regrets thus far.

Slick61

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Have owned my '16 RAM 2500 ccsb 6.4L hemi with the 4.10s for 2.5 years, and I'm still very happy with it. No issues to report. LOVE this engine with the 4.10s... really wakes it up. The transmission programming could be better. I got a Tradesman, optioned up to near-SLT level, & it's everything I wanted. Like some others, I did not NEED a 3/4 ton, but that's what I bought... because I knew I could get a better deal on a HD than on a 1/2-ton. No regrets. Mileage is what I expected... I get about 11 around town, & have done 19 on long highway trips.

BOB RAM 2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500 4X4 CREW
Engine
HEMI 6.4 with 456
Well, my 2018 6.4 2500 4x4 & i have been putting on some miles the last year. Over 9,000 and most is spent with a 3000lb truck camper in the back with my 3500lb boat in tow. Mileage anywhere from 7mpg (windy and hilly) to a littler over 9mpg (no wind and flat roads). Unloaded around town about 12mpg. Cold air intake and new cat back exhaust. A little to loud sometimes but its okay. Have not figued out what chip to get yet so any idea's would be nice. Overall very happy ... as long as we don't talk about the radio and aftermarket leather (*pleather*) seats ... haha

Aelwulf

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
So far, after just over a year and about 9k miles, still love mine. I'm still about $2k in the black so not having any sticker shock concerns with some lengthy shopping.

I love the cab for the family. 3150 pounds of payload leaves me not having to worry about going over in about any situation I should end up in, and 12.5k towing is plenty for now. Mileage is pretty good for a heavy truck with a large 8-cylinder engine. Interior is comfy (Laramie). Family likes it well enough so that helps avoid flak. And although it seems 'lifted' stock the bed isn't too high to be useful.

Things I'm not a huge fan of:
Mine has a bit of a rattle either engine or transmission. Not sure if it's Hemi Tick or bad lifters or other. I've had it looked at general, and had dealership look specifically for broken exhaust bolts, with nothing found in either case. I have no issue with the performance, it's just really annoying. If my '99 1500 sounded like that it'd seriously need to be looked at. At least part of it is MDS, does it more when that kicks in. I've heard it on YouTube videos of other 6.4s so least it's not just mine.

The ride is a bit rough. But not horrid unless going over particularly nasty speed bumps (we have two on base). After reading on here I'm looking at reducing the tire pressure below the sticker values. I've also been considering dropping to 18" (or maybe 17") wheels anyway so that might help. If it had a load it would probably settle down.

Since for some reason the dealer I bought it from got the Snow Chief Package WITHOUT the 4.10s *urgh* I was looking at bumping up to the 4.10s. Rating on those bumps up to about 15.5k towing. But after reading on here thinking more like 4.88s to low 5s. But that'll be after the warranty is out. For now it's plenty.

Knock on wood in about 2 years I can start dumping some money into it. Then it's exhaust, tuner, air intake, gears, smaller wheels, bigger tires (35s most likely), and possibly some other fun bits. Hoping it really wakes up then.

RoadDog66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Ugh I'm now in the market for a new Ram HD. Had a '15 2500 Crew 6.4L w/3.73 gears that was great unloaded, but not too great towing my 10K 5th wheel. Moved up to a '17 3500 CTD that was fantastic until it got totaled the other day. Front end looks just like Maddogs :(

In my search for a new truck I'm leaning towards a leftover '17 3500 CTD Mega cab or an "18 2500 Crew 6.4L w/4.10s. Price difference is about $7K. I'm so torn having had both and knowing the virtues/downfalls of each. Since it's my daily driver it's hard to spend the extra $7K when I only tow heavy 12-15 times a year, but man it's nice having all that diesel power. Then again the 6.4 screams beautifully when you open her up on a straight away. Decisions, decisions.

If anyone has gone from a 3.73 geared Ram to a 4.10 geared one that can shed some light on the towing performance I'd be very appreciative.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Ugh I'm now in the market for a new Ram HD. Had a '15 2500 Crew 6.4L w/3.73 gears that was great unloaded, but not too great towing my 10K 5th wheel. Moved up to a '17 3500 CTD that was fantastic until it got totaled the other day. Front end looks just like Maddogs :(

In my search for a new truck I'm leaning towards a leftover '17 3500 CTD Mega cab or an "18 2500 Crew 6.4L w/4.10s. Price difference is about $7K. I'm so torn having had both and knowing the virtues/downfalls of each. Since it's my daily driver it's hard to spend the extra $7K when I only tow heavy 12-15 times a year, but man it's nice having all that diesel power. Then again the 6.4 screams beautifully when you open her up on a straight away. Decisions, decisions.

If anyone has gone from a 3.73 geared Ram to a 4.10 geared one that can shed some light on the towing performance I'd be very appreciative.

My truck has 4.10s, and it struggles. Your towing experience will not be much different. It will be interesting to see how the 5th gen 6.4 will do with the rumored 8 speed. My next move will be back to a CTD.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi

The Cummins hands down, will out tow the 6.4! However, the 6.4 is a much much better daily driver.

Dmopar74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My 6.4 3.73 gets 9mpg evic city driving on stock sized at tires. The ****** transmission is almost infuriating.

Love the truck, hate the drivetrain. I'm either going ctd, pending driving one, or going Duramax.

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My truck has 4.10s, and it struggles. Your towing experience will not be much different. It will be interesting to see how the 5th gen 6.4 will do with the rumored 8 speed. My next move will be back to a CTD.

I wonder if my 2500 6.4 had the 8 spd if I would have changed to the cummins.. It was an easy decision for me as it is now, but if that 8 speed had been out and they solved that annoying 1-2 gap in the tranny and close them lower gears up a little in ratio, it would be a tough decisions. its a wonderful motor hampered by a painfully average tranny.

Megazor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 6.4 3.73 gets 9mpg evic city driving on stock sized at tires. The ****** transmission is almost infuriating.

Love the truck, hate the drivetrain. I'm either going ctd, pending driving one, or going Duramax.

Is that city with a load or trailer? I thought my 13 was terrible. I also let it idle more than I'd like to admit when I'm putting the kids in the back. Megacab seems to take forever to cool down.