6.4 Hemi tick or oil pressure problem?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey I have a 2019 6.4 as my signature says lol. My truck makes a "eco diesel" or fresh oil change clatter (when you dont fill you filter prior to oil change), after it sits more than a few hours. This only occurs for 3-5 seconds, then its normal. This has only started recently after my most recent oil change. This coincidence makes me believe my oil filter may be defective with the backflow preventer? I can try and capture a video soon. I use 6.4 0w-40 SRT oil so i would hope that oil is good enough to fend off hemi tick.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
PCT, is this only an issue after you change the oil, or an every day thing?

Try adding some lubegard biotech, see if it changes it all all if every day thing. It is a decent oil, but if you break it down they use a lot of vii's which become useless particles in lubrication when they break off and shear down. Also GtL base oil is not known for keeping ticks away, even over group 3 oil. So there are many moves to make if this is an everyday thing. If it is just when you change oil, start a truck for 3 seconds, just rotate oil don't get it warm, then change oil, turn your engine w/o spark, put hammer down before starting don't let up, will spin your engine without combustion. see if that helps

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
First step, change out the filter. Work fr m there.

OP
OP
PCT

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
PCT, is this only an issue after you change the oil, or an every day thing?

Try adding some lubegard biotech, see if it changes it all all if every day thing. It is a decent oil, but if you break it down they use a lot of vii's which become useless particles in lubrication when they break off and shear down. Also GtL base oil is not known for keeping ticks away, even over group 3 oil. So there are many moves to make if this is an everyday thing. If it is just when you change oil, start a truck for 3 seconds, just rotate oil don't get it warm, then change oil, turn your engine w/o spark, put hammer down before starting don't let up, will spin your engine without combustion. see if that helps
Everyday since my last oil change. Which leads my to believe its something todo with that backflow preventer on the oil filter not working correctly.

Dean2 gunna try that.

I use mopar filters and srt penzoil 0-40

I use the stock part number filter. Sould i give the SRT filter a try?

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Everyday since my last oil change. Which leads my to believe its something todo with that backflow preventer on the oil filter not working correctly.

Dean2 gunna try that.

I would stick to what you have been using, no point in adding additional variables that then have to be followed up. It could be as simple as a bad back flow valve in your normal filter choice.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

Dean2 gunna try that.

Agree with Dean, and good plan, try srt filter first. Most oem is bottom of the barrel filtration, check the yourtubes, some even compare srt to oem mopar. I'd consider royal purple filter as well, loose synthetic media has been popular here. If filter doesnt fix it and it isn't mani bolts, come down to 4 gen and join the hemi tick threads, we have solved this in many rams at a high %.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
this is copy and pasted from page 371 of my 2020 owners manual.
NOTE:
Hemi engine (6.4L) at times can tick right after startup and then quiet down after approximately 30 seconds. This is normal and will not harm the engine. This characteristic can be caused by short drive cycles. For example, if the vehicle is started then shut off after driving a short distance. Upon
restarting, you may experience a ticking sound. Other causes could be if the vehicle is unused for an extended period of time, incorrect oil, extended oil changes or extended idling. If the engine continues to tick or if the Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) comes on, see the nearest authorized dealer.

OP
OP
PCT

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
this is copy and pasted from page 371 of my 2020 owners manual.
NOTE:
Hemi engine (6.4L) at times can tick right after startup and then quiet down after approximately 30 seconds. This is normal and will not harm the engine. This characteristic can be caused by short drive cycles. For example, if the vehicle is started then shut off after driving a short distance. Upon
restarting, you may experience a ticking sound. Other causes could be if the vehicle is unused for an extended period of time, incorrect oil, extended oil changes or extended idling. If the engine continues to tick or if the Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) comes on, see the nearest authorized dealer.
lol the f**k alright then. Mine is for no more than 5 seconds. Just got back from a trip so going to swap over to a new filter likely this weekend and see if it continues.