6.4l cam swap problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tunedlaramie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey what's up. I posted about this a little while ago but I only got one response. Anyway I did a 6.4l cam swap in my 2009 5.7l ram, and it has broken the a valve twice in very short time period. Both times on the same piston. What's weird is that the valve didn't break at the bottom, it broke at the top part of the valve stem. Anyway both times the head was destroyed but the piston and cylinder remained unharmed.

Here are the parts used I used for the cam swap:
OEM 6.4L MDS cam
OEM 6.4L valve springs with retainers.

I made the mistake of not buying 6.4l locators. Both times the springs walked and were not centered when the engine was opened up.

Do the 6.4l springs not work in the 5.7? Or could be cause of the 5.7 locators that didn't fit well with those springs.

I tried to upload pictures of the damage and how the valve springs looked like when the engine was opened up but for some reason the uploads failed.

Also the there were no engine codes before the valve broke.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Hey what's up. I posted about this a little while ago but I only got one response. Anyway I did a 6.4l cam swap in my 2009 5.7l ram, and it has broken the a valve twice in very short time period. Both times on the same piston. What's weird is that the valve didn't break at the bottom, it broke at the top part of the valve stem. Anyway both times the head was destroyed but the piston and cylinder remained unharmed.

OEM 6.4L MDS cam

I made the mistake of not buying 6.4l locators. Both times the springs walked and were not centered when the engine was opened up.

Do the 6.4l springs not work in the 5.7? Or could be cause of the 5.7 locators that didn't fit well with those springs.

I tried to upload pictures of the damage and how the valve springs looked like when the engine was opened up but for some reason the uploads failed.

Thanks

By this,it looks like you might be running into coil bind,but that usually bends pushrods ,and by the sounds of it,your breaking the valve stems at the keepers.Might be time to give up on that combination after breaking a couple valve stems in a row,you gotta be getting tired of tearing it down by now,lol.These springs need to be shimmed to work in a 6.4,which leads a guy to think the stock 6.4 springs are to long and you're stacking the spring coils till you hit coil bind.

https://moparonlineparts.com/dodge-charger-mopar-performance-valve-springs-p-7475.html

burner71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did the 6.4 cam in my 5.7 and was told not to use the 6.4 springs but the mopar performance springs for the 5.7 instead. They can handle the extra lift and no shimming.

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
^^^
burner71 posted what you need
I'm to slow.......LoL

OEM 6.4L MDS cam

Thanks

This guy saying you have to use 6.1 valve springs & retainers
WOW, so much WRONG info here. First off, there are TWO 6.4 cams - one for VVT the other for MDS. If you have an auto and want to keep the MDS, get the MDS cam. If you have a stick or have an auto and want to delete the MDS, get the VVT cam and the MDS delete parts. You'll need the Mopar Performance springs and retainers spec'd for a 6.1. You DO NOT need the SRT headers and mids (although at least getting shorty headers would be good since the stock 5.7 manifolds suck - not in a good way), nor do you need the 6.4 intake. You WILL need a dyno tune. DO NOT use a "phaser" - this will result in almost no power gain.

https://www.challengertalk.com/threads/392-cam-on-a-5-7.668181/

Maybe just the 6.1 retainers you need
You need to find someone that has done this or call MMX performance

https://www.challengertalk.com/threads/2012-r-t-with-a-6-4-cam-installed.96824/

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I'm guessing he's bucks down being 20 years old ,and got the springs and cam for free or next to nothing.You're probably better off re-using the stock 5.7 springs if you can't swing the Mopar Performance springs TL.Somebody on here found the Mopar springs for a lot less money then in the link I posted,was it you Burner71 who found them cheaper

burner71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah they ended up being 75 for the whole set. I’ll have to look back and find the individual part number.

OP
OP
tunedlaramie

tunedlaramie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
By this,it looks like you might be running into coil bind,but that usually bends pushrods ,and by the sounds of it,your breaking the valve stems at the keepers.Might be time to give up on that combination after breaking a couple valve stems in a row,you gotta be getting tired of tearing it down by now,lol.These springs need to be shimmed to work in a 6.4,which leads a guy to think the stock 6.4 springs are to long and you're stacking the spring coils till you hit coil bind.

https://moparonlineparts.com/dodge-charger-mopar-performance-valve-springs-p-7475.html

Yeah I'm starting to get really tired of seeing that check engine light starting to flash. Last year my truck was in the shop 4 times total. First time was the lifter problem, second was a bent valve. And these last Two broken valve stems. Anyway these springs will work in my 09 hemi? Just asking cause it says gen 3 hemi.

I managed to upload pics of the carnage. The pushrod was also bent. Forgot to mention that before.

IMG-20200108-WA0009.jpg IMG-20200108-WA0008.jpg IMG-20200108-WA0007.jpg IMG-20200108-WA0010.jpg

OP
OP
tunedlaramie

tunedlaramie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm guessing he's bucks down being 20 years old ,and got the springs and cam for free or next to nothing.You're probably better off re-using the stock 5.7 springs if you can't swing the Mopar Performance springs TL.Somebody on here found the Mopar springs for a lot less money then in the link I posted,was it you Burner71 who found them cheaper

I tried using the stock springs and I bent a valve a few minutes after they finished logging after the tune. They would work but not for 6300ish rpm I'm running at.

As for the mopar performance springs, if they will keep my truck from breaking down, I'm gonna getting them. They can't be more expensive than a broken valve stem, bent pushrod and destroyed cylinder head.

Right now all I want is that truck to be reliable again.

OP
OP
tunedlaramie

tunedlaramie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did the 6.4 cam in my 5.7 and was told not to use the 6.4 springs but the mopar performance springs for the 5.7 instead. They can handle the extra lift and no shimming.

Since everyone seems to be recommending the mopar performance springs I think that I will have to give those a try. I learned a hard and expensive lesson with the 6.4l springs. Just why does it say that they are for a Gen III Hemi?

OP
OP
tunedlaramie

tunedlaramie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I see that a lot. Mopar calls the 2009-2019 Hemi the Gen III
Ah ok, thanks for clarifying that. Man I hope that this fixes it cause I can't afford another broken valve
The individual part number is 68277306AA
Much cheaper than the P5160074 kit.

Thanks man, I really hope that this fixes it. Cause I really can't afford another broken valve. But seriously, I'm really lucky that my piston and cylinder didn't suffer any damage.

OP
OP
tunedlaramie

tunedlaramie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Haha, I thought that I had erased the first part of my reply that's why part of it is the same as the last part.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
You're running at 6,300 RPM? Holy crap, why?

6300 isn't really that high for the 6.4 cam in the smaller 5.7 James.The stock 5.7 cam pulls hard to 6000-6100 when tuned .I shift mine at 6600 rpm with one of Jays 1.5HL cams and the mopar springs. The 5.7 is roughly 14% smaller in cubes so the cam will act like it's a lot bigger then it would in the original 6.4 it came out of,and will need rpm to compensate somewhat

James OBrien

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hermi
Gortcha. That's high revving for me, just makes me cringe.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Gortcha. That's high revving for me, just makes me cringe.
I'm an old guy and 6300 is pretty mild,i've built the odd big block that had shift points of 7200,and smallblocks that shifted at 7500+,lol. Got a buddy with a TSP stage 4 cam in his 2015 R/T and he shifts it at 7,000,on a stock bottem end,lol

OP
OP
tunedlaramie

tunedlaramie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are the manley 26640-16 pushrods any good? I'm thinking of upgrading my pushrods in order to avoid any further problems.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Are the manley 26640-16 pushrods any good? I'm thinking of upgrading my pushrods in order to avoid any further problems.

I'd think they should be okay,Manleys parts are pretty decent. I'm running Trends pushrods in mine and they've held up well for the last couple years