6 months of ownership

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bubba5154

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500 Crew Cab Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 6.4
6 months of ownership and the more I drive my 2018 2500 Big Horn 6.4 the more I like it. Only a couple very minor issues: leaking clearance and high brake light and both were fixed by the dealer. The sliding rear window drags to a stop at 2/3 open and I'll get that fixed in January. I don't use it; it closes just fine. I do wish they would send the dang update to fix the radio EQ. What gives? This is the first 2500 I've had, all the rest were 1500s/150s. Still bone stock and I burn Sheetz regular unleaded. I'll take it in for first service in January. I have a mental note to get the PINs so I can have someone reset the TPS thresholds. 80 psi in the rear feels like the tire is filled with concrete.

I haven't towed anything yet. It's my daily driver but haven't put a lot of miles on it since for the first time in the 35 years I've been working, I live close to work.

One thing's for sure, I won't ever have to worry about stale gas in the tank.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I have the tradesman Power Wagon and haven’t seen these problems with my truck. I also don’t have the sliding rear window either.
I do need to stop by my dealership and see about getting the pin#’s too.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

dlromo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
OP, you can lower your rear psi to 65 and not trip your light. It helps...

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
OP, you can lower your rear psi to 65 and not trip your light. It helps...

Depending on the tire 65 psi could be to much. The max air pressure in my tires is 65. If I air them up to 65 they ride like wood wagon wheels hard as a rock. I’ve been running 60 psi and they’re still hard.
We all know that the psi is a portion of the ride comfortability.
I’m at 50F and 60R. And still harsh.

I love my truck!
Blue Mule 18 Ram 2500 4x4 C/C Off Road.

OP
OP
Bubba5154

Bubba5154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Depending on the tire 65 psi could be to much. The max air pressure in my tires is 65. If I air them up to 65 they ride like wood wagon wheels hard as a rock. I’ve been running 60 psi and they’re still hard.
We all know that the psi is a portion of the ride comfortability.
I’m at 50F and 60R. And still harsh.

I love my truck!
Blue Mule 18 Ram 2500 4x4 C/C Off Road.

I agree. I still have the Firestones on. I have messed around with the psi a bit. Each time I got the rear tires down to where it started giving a much better ride was around 55 or so. The TPS alarms long before I get there.
Fully inflated the rear tires develop the "strip-of-no-wear" (kindof like chicken strips on bullet bikes) about 1 inch wide, on each side, around the outer edge of the tread. With the stock pressures the only time it appears the tires will wear properly is when they are on the front.

allenmp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
My sliding rear window was doing this on my 15 Laramie and a friend of mine told me that sometimes the headrest was put in backwards from the factory
I thought no way it could be that never heard of it
Had already scheduled a repair date
And sure as hell I went out and looked and it was backwards jamming up my sliding glass
At about 2/3rds open
Since I hardly ever got back there I never noticed lol

On my new 2500 truck I run my tires at about 50-55 all 4 of them
Rides a lot better but I do have a light
I fill them up when I am about to tow
Max on mine is 65# with my 35's

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
On the dis, there is a setting called COMMERCIAL that requires a 4 or 5 digit pin number to access. I don't know if you can adjust the tpms threshold with that pin or not. I don't have mine and don't believe they provide it to you either.

When my rears get down to 64 psi it throws the alarm. Agreed the lower 60s does soften the ride some, but I hate the alarm so I just run em at 70 and live with it.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
I run the rears at 50, and it helps

OP
OP
Bubba5154

Bubba5154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My sliding rear window was doing this on my 15 Laramie and a friend of mine told me that sometimes the headrest was put in backwards from the factory
I thought no way it could be that never heard of it
Had already scheduled a repair date
And sure as hell I went out and looked and it was backwards jamming up my sliding glass
At about 2/3rds open
Since I hardly ever got back there I never noticed lol

On my new 2500 truck I run my tires at about 50-55 all 4 of them
Rides a lot better but I do have a light
I fill them up when I am about to tow
Max on mine is 65# with my 35's

Thanks. I checked the headrest and it's installed correctly. I'll post what the resolution was after I take it in to the dealer in January.

OP
OP
Bubba5154

Bubba5154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The colder temps have my rear tires at 70 and front around 52-55. Ride is ok. The more I drive it the more I don't notice. I guess I'm just getting used to it. Those stretches of road that have seams every 10 feet or so bring it right back. I hear them in the wife's car and feel them in the truck.

Guy lIPSKY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI etorque
I must have a wimpy truck run mine at 40 front and rear but its a 1500 love my truck had just 6 months made last payment after selling a new Harley last week feels good to have a 2017 all paid for

lwalper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
TPMS --- just because you can run your tires at 65PSI doesn't mean you should (always). The manufacturer has made the assumption for you that, "You bought a big truck, you must intend to use it loaded all the time." These new vehicles are too "smart" for my liking. I run my tires at 35 all around. Good ride, good, even tire wear across the tread width. If I'm going to carry a ton of stuff, add some air. Yes, it requires us to think (and that's the hard part), but the truck sure rides better. There's oughta be a way for the dealer to reset the TPMS to something lower than 64.

Duane Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L - Diesel
I should have my TPMS looked at: If rear tires go to 74 lbs the dash lights up with rear warning lights.

Fronts have been down to 55 with no warning lights.

From hot to cold tire air pressure changed quickly; factory Firestones tires.

G. Mcpherson

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Ram 2500 CC SB Tradesman
Engine
6.7 Cummins
You might want to check out the Alpha OBD Thread. Very helpful. A little money and your own time and you can reset many things including TPMS Thresholds.

OP
OP
Bubba5154

Bubba5154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
You might want to check out the Alpha OBD Thread. Very helpful. A little money and your own time and you can reset many things including TPMS Thresholds.

I did look and I will take advantage of the opportunity in the spring, once I recover from Christmas, to reset the thresholds.