66RFE ISSUES

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Loveall57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
FD57E945-8CCB-458D-949C-CF8F9B5B1FD7.jpegNew to ram!! Switched from Chevy. I have a 2017 5.7 2500 with a 66RFE. My stock torque converter is on its way out and I’m wanting to change it out with a more reliable one. Not sure which new converter to get. Any suggestions?

ALSO, wondering what trans fluid I need (I’m suspecting just regular ATF+4?) and how many quarts I’m gonna need. Doing a change soon

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I have same year, model, trans. These require ATF +4. I just use the Mopar stuff, a Group III synthetic, since I change every 35k miles or so - without a full system oil transfer (just drain & fill). Summit Racing had decent pricing on 5 liter jugs.

I don't have experience with torque converters. How do you know yours is "on its way out", and unrelaible? I've never heard of a torque converter failure. Is it an oil seal leaking?

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I’m curious about the torque converter as well.
If you don’t go with mopar trans fluid then I would check out Amsoil trans fluid. Just put in the type of vehicle you have and it will let you know the type you need. I used Amsoil on my last change and will be on my next.

OP
OP
L

Loveall57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you! And I suspect the torque converter because the other day I put it in drive and it didn’t move nor did rpms drop at all as they should (a tiny bit) when shifting from park to drive.
Also, I hear a loud whining right before it shifts into any gear and it shifts hard into 2nd gear every once in awhile. I’m not completely sure if it’s the torque converter but that’s one of my suspicions, still looking into it. I’m currently typing this underneath my truck LOL

OP
OP
L

Loveall57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
May be the trans oil pump.
That’s a good explanation for the code popping up on my dash. I ran it and it said that my 6th gear wasn’t receiving enough fluid. I’ll look further into that as well

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Could be a solenoid. Our Jeep used to do something like that (similar trans). I took ours to the dealer, just bc the right way to diagnose a tranny is to scan for codes, then check solenoids (via a proper scan tool) and ultimately do pressure checks. You gotta do all that before condemning the torque converter. The dealer tool, (or a good snap on scanner) can actuate the tranny solenoids to ensure they are working properly.

In the case of our jeep years ago, it wasn't that expensive and they resolved it in one visit. I gotta give the local dealer 5 stars for that one.

If the fluid needs to be changed, that might be the time to have them do it ....if they need to remove the pan anyway. Maybe you can negotiate a slightly cheaper tranny fluid change. Put in new filters (there are two) also. There are some jobs a dealer should be better at performing with their dealer 'tools' ..and this might be one of them. If they come back with some obscene story, you can always take it to an independent tranny shop for a 2nd look.

Nice looking tk btw! Rams look great in silver.

Last edited: