66RFE Transmission - Thermal Bypass Install Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
What a minute, guys - the thermostat was ADDED only starting 2013........there were no thermostats before that. Did transmissions fail without thermostats? Of course not! Sure, they were stiff and shifted hard for a mile or so when it's cold out, but so what? Transmission oils, even before synthetics, were heavily pour point depressed with additives so they'd flow at subzero temperatures.

The addition of a thermostat was not to improve cold temperature transmission performance - it was to get an infinitesimal increase in fuel economy in cold climates. Period. I've never had a transmission run this hot before - heat is the life shortener of both transmission oil and and transmissions - not cold.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
After looking at the ends of the trans lines going into and out of the valve I'm wondering why you couldn't just install 2 lengths of high pressure hydraulic line with clamps?

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
After looking at the ends of the trans lines going into and out of the valve I'm wondering why you couldn't just install 2 lengths of high pressure hydraulic line with clamps?

Me too. I just came in from working on the tractor. I've never seen a crazy hydraulic fitting like on the front of the truck transmission cooler valve block. Granted most construction equipment has gone to quick disconnect, but still.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
@HEMIMANN

I have seen a few videos on this mod and plan on installing it next year when my truck is out of warranty.

Is your kit from the one diesel OEM that includes the metal nipple for the filter inside the trans pan?

That is the one I was thinking about. Just curious. I can't remember the name now.

Of course as you said the videos make it seem fake easy to install. Thanks for your real world feedback so I'm prepared to fight with it.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Did transmissions fail without thermostats? Of course not!

Dodge/Ram, etc. has been churning out crappy transmissions as long as I've been alive... certainly before 2013.

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Dodge/Ram, etc. has been churning out crappy transmissions as long as I've been alive... certainly before 2013.

Failures were not attributable to overheating. They have been since 2013.

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
@HEMIMANN

I have seen a few videos on this mod and plan on installing it next year when my truck is out of warranty.

Is your kit from the one diesel OEM that includes the metal nipple for the filter inside the trans pan?

That is the one I was thinking about. Just curious. I can't remember the name now.

Of course as you said the videos make it seem fake easy to install. Thanks for your real world feedback so I'm prepared to fight with it.

This is a different topic. The thermostat bypass valve block doesn't have anything to do with internal transmission parts. So, no. It is from RevMax. I don't recall seeing RevMax on our vendor sites. The other vendor I saw was ATS. Then there is a new one mentioned with a on / off bypass valve that I'm uninterested in.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
This is a different topic. The thermostat bypass valve block doesn't have anything to do with internal transmission parts. So, no. It is from RevMax. I don't recall seeing RevMax on our vendor sites. The other vendor I saw was ATS. Then there is a new one mentioned with a on / off bypass valve that I'm uninterested in.

I thought it was the same. The bypass is external, similar to the one you are installing, but it comes with a metal nipple for the screw on in the pan trans filter.

I'll have to search for it. Thanks

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I thought it was the same. The bypass is external, similar to the one you are installing, but it comes with a metal nipple for the screw on in the pan trans filter.

I'll have to search for it. Thanks

Nope - the metal nipple is for the screw-on transmission oil filter cartridge inside the transmission pan. The bypass valve block is inserted into the transmission line going to the oil cooler radiator in front of the truck. The transmission lines run from the transmission case to the radiator and back.

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
It's installed!!! Proper tools + proper knowledge, + 2 guys = 30 minutes. Oil drainage is app. 10 ounces.

Pics to follow, including before / after transmission oil temperatures, after fully warmed up oil.

Edit: Here's a not-too-exciting pic of the RevMax flow-through housing as-received and installed...

RevMax Transmission Thermostat Housing Replacement.jpeg

View attachment 243306

RevMax Transmission Cooler ByPass Housing Installed.jpeg

Last edited:

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Nope - the metal nipple is for the screw-on transmission oil filter cartridge inside the transmission pan. The bypass valve block is inserted into the transmission line going to the oil cooler radiator in front of the truck. The transmission lines run from the transmission case to the radiator and back.

Yes what you said is what I meant. Sorry for the confusion.

Glad you got it done! Looking forward to your pics.

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
New pics above - I guess the forum doesn't show edits to existing posts as new posts, so you wouldn't know I updated.

Edit: test drive this evening sans phone camera = 127F deg oil temp. a 40F degree temperature reduction. I'll get a pic soon and show both for comparisons.

Last edited:

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Looks great man! Good work.

I will be completing this mod next summer probably when I drop the pan to change the trans fluid and filters.

Hopefully mine will go smoother than yours.

What was the secret to getting those clips/ retainers out?

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Looks great man! Good work.

I will be completing this mod next summer probably when I drop the pan to change the trans fluid and filters.

Hopefully mine will go smoother than yours.

What was the secret to getting those clips/ retainers out?

I guess I should have made a complete video, huh? Except I'm not a young, frisky technofile.
Anyway, the secret is a pick tool set. I have one, but didn't understand what I was facing until a member suggested. It works. You have to use the angle pick to pull the wire out from the groove, then a small flat screwdriver or your fingers to pull it out of its 3 retainer holes.

To install the new block, you first screw in the two new line connectors that come with it. Don't torque them - they're o-ring face seals with standard threads, not pipe threads. Install the new wire clips into the grooves next. You just push them into the slot and the 3 retainer holes. The transmission cooler lines push into the new connectors and click when past the clips. The cooler lines have a bevel bead ramp for pushing into the wire retainer protrusions.

After we removed the OEM block, I was shocked to see they MILLED the retainer slots from the aluminum valve block body! Couldn't have made a more expensive, absurd design if they tried. Furthermore, I would have been rejected for trying to release a part with a different attachment design on each end. What a Rube Goldberg device.

And yes, you are planning same thing I did - it is important to remove the thermostat when you put in new oil so you don't cook your new oil. The stuff ain't cheap, and ATF changing isn't exactly easy when you got to re-make an RTV gasket each time on the oil pan.

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Check it out. Look at the outdoor temperature in the upper right corner of the display.

2017 Ram 2500 Transmission Oil Temp - RevMax.jpg 2017 Ram 2500 Transmission Oil Temp - Stock.jpg

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Ok, I still don't get why a vendor of a transmission oil cooling line replacement block would send a metal oil filter nipple with the unrelated valve block. I mean, why not a tube of RTV gasket maker for the oil pan, too?

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I believe a Bonus for purchasing their product, which I just did a few days ago. I'm grateful for it. Seems like a high quality piece. It will be installed tomorrow probably.

I have everything torn down now and just got the ATS kit this evening.