Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cjmccoy93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I’ve got some shifting issues with my 2013 2500 with the 68RFE (go figure). I’ve been doing lots of research and asking around and haven’t been able to figure out what’s going on. Whenever I shift into drive, it takes about 3-4 seconds. Also, when I downshift it takes longer than it should too. Seems like the converter is slow to unlock then re-lock, the engine revs sky high, then when it finally shifts, it’s SLAMS into gear. I’m pretty positive the issues are related. I have no codes. Any help is appreciated! PS: found someone on another forum that has the same exact two issues as me, so I’m sure they’re related. However, I cannot get a hold of the OP without paying for a membership to that forum!

* I have a revmax valve body installed

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
My guess is shift solenoid or cross leaking in valve body. The good news is you can upgrade valve body and solenoid without dropping transmission and will only benefit you even if it isnt the issue. I post this guy just for info, I have no opinion on this brand versus another, worth 20 minutes to watch, and really should watch longer rfe video as well. The real good news almost all of the real upgrades are for the 68. Did you check fluid level? When you get cross leaking in valve body the psi's are not good enough to work correctly. Need to fix to save your clutch packs, if you do it you need to decide between shift plate or gasket, the plate costs a lil more, but being it is a 2500 might be worth it.

valve body

rfe weaknesses

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Your issues are for sure related, and my guess for what it's worth, 90% sure it is in valve body. The real risk if not fixed soon is losing over drive clutches, those go first most of the time. Limp mode usually comes next.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Agree with Burla, valve body and the 3 sensor pack need to be replaced. It’s all one unit iirc. Of course I would have it diagnosed professionally before throwing parts at.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Get a metal thread upgrade and synthetic filter options, use oem for sump filter and choose a synthetic from this list. If you can find one with the hex center, those fit tighter and are perfect. The oem plastic ones break, and could be another cause of this issue. You could just buy an upgraded new VB and solenoid pack, get the filter options and metal thread upgrade, and 8 quarts of redline c+ or another atf, could do it in a few hours, maybe 2 outta 5 stars in difficultly. I like permetec transmission gasket maker, but it does require you to button up and cure over night before you fill the transmission pan.

R.jpg

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
And.........the accumulator pistons are likely no longer sealing in their bores. This valve block is not designed stiff enough - it bends, yields, and permanently deforms. I makes ex-military guys like me hair stand up. All 3 of 'em (a-yuk).

Web diagnosers have noted worn accumulator bores, warped valve bodies, worn out solenoids. The thing is, there are few, if any, reports of the power transmission drivetrain failing.....the planetary gear sets, clutch packs, bearings, torque converter. All good. It's a damn shame they have one major crappy component and keep on putting the same 'ol same 'ol in year after year. Obviously not good at hydraulics.

OP
OP
C

Cjmccoy93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I guess I forgot to mention I have put a revmax valve body in it. I got the upgraded metal spin on filter nipple, but did not but the OEM solenoid pack that’s optional with the VB. I thought it might be the solenoid shift pack but I thought for sure I’d get a code if it was faulty. My fluid level is good as well.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Did the problems start when you installed the valve body or has it been in a while? Recent filter change or anything?

And don't pay for access to "that" site. Bunch of jack wagons over there that will ban you if you don't agree and worship them.

OP
OP
C

Cjmccoy93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did the problems start when you installed the valve body or has it been in a while? Recent filter change or anything?

And don't pay for access to "that" site. Bunch of jack wagons over there that will ban you if you don't agree and worship them.

I had the problem since before the valve body. Was hoping the VB would’ve solved it but that was a negative. Kinda thinking piston seals now.