7 Pin Connecter - Current Limiter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skyflyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Express
Engine
Hemi
Pulling an RV with a standard lead acid battery and when plugged into my RAM through the 7 pin connecter the battery gets charged from the truck. I want to replace the lead acid battery with lithium but in order to connect it to the RAM I need to know if there's a current limiter on the RAM because the lithium battery can draw larger amounts of amperage and that can damage the alternator. Does anyone know if the RAM 7 pin connector has a current limiter? (RAM 2015 Express)

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm sure it's fused and the alternator should have no issue keeping up inside that fused rating.

OP
OP
S

Skyflyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Express
Engine
Hemi
Yes, but if the current isn't regulated it will blow the fuse every time I use it. Is the current limited through the 7 pin connector?

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Yes, but if the current isn't regulated it will blow the fuse every time I use it. Is the current limited through the 7 pin connector?
If I remember correctly charging from the
7-pin connector is regulated between
2.0-7.0 amps.

JackLaramie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pulling an RV with a standard lead acid battery and when plugged into my RAM through the 7 pin connecter the battery gets charged from the truck. I want to replace the lead acid battery with lithium but in order to connect it to the RAM I need to know if there's a current limiter on the RAM because the lithium battery can draw larger amounts of amperage and that can damage the alternator. Does anyone know if the RAM 7 pin connector has a current limiter? (RAM 2015 Express)
Be careful. Li batteries can potentially suck the truck dry. Trailer should have & connect thru a DC to DC charger which will save your Alternator.

asweeney32

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
I am currently dealing with this same issue and would love to know what you’ve uncovered.

Here’s what I am going to try. I do not want to go to the expense of adding a DC to DC charger and only want to disable the charge coming from the 7 pin. I am actually showing through my smart shunt on my Lithium bank that the truck is drawing power from my RV batteries when plugged in. I located a 30A fuse under the dash and pulled it and this seems to have fixed the problem. All lights, brakes and breakaway switch still operate correctly.

Fuse = F01 (pink 30A)