7 pin wire harness confusion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RexJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2004 5.7 hemi that has a brake controller and 7 pin plug spot on the back that looks to be factory. When I got the truck the physical connection point was long gone and it was just a mangled set of wires and the back end of the connector stuffed in the bumper (the previous owner did a number on a lot of things on this truck)

Trying to save myself a few bucks I pulled what I thought to be the right connector/harness setup from another dodge at the wrecker (can't remember the year but it was the same gen) but the wiring is just making no sense to me.

I've attached a few pics - the wire bundle coming off the truck (blue, brown, red, white, black, green) the harness connector I pulled from the wrecker (red, black, black, yellow, green, green/white, green, grey?) and the connector the plugs into the back of the 7 pin. I know there is also a yellow and white stuffed up under the truck separate from the rest of the bundle as well.

Any help is appreciated

IMG_0626.jpg IMG_0627.jpg IMG_0628.jpg

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Cut the tape back more towards the truck, who knows maybe its spliced up higher and you dont see it now. Also get a wiring diagram for your truck/trailer lights system so at worst you can just do it manually.

This seems like a good site for info
https://www.etrailer.com/faq-wiring.aspx

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Looks to me like it's time to pull out the ohm/volt meter and start with figuring out one wire at a time and ignore the colors then get some good water proof connectors and shrink wrap and go for it. Unless your goal is to get it back to factory. Then I would get me a wiring diagram and go from there. Good luck. BTW- and you're probably already aware of this, each pin in the connector housing has a distinct purpose (brake light, turn signal, etc) and it's a universal setup so that all trailers use the same connections for the same purposes. That diagram is easy to find online and I use it all the time for wiring connectors and trailers. Hope that helps, but like I said, you probably already know all that.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amdwilsns01