8” Mcgaughys vibration at 60-70 mph

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dirtracer27x

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok so I just got my dodge and came over from a powerstroke. So far so good I love my 16 cc lb tradesman. But I have a annoying grinding/ vibration at freeway speed. Truck runs fine, but this sound is annoying, comes on and off as I feather the throttle, it’s pretty loud. Could it be lift related? Driveshaft? Any help would be awsome thanks

KeepRight

ExFalconFxr
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Ok so I just got my dodge and came over from a powerstroke. So far so good I love my 16 cc lb tradesman. But I have a annoying grinding/ vibration at freeway speed. Truck runs fine, but this sound is annoying, comes on and off as I feather the throttle, it’s pretty loud. Could it be lift related? Driveshaft? Any help would be awsome thanks
While I work on fighter jets, these type of 'write ups' are so hard to diagnose. Pilots would tell us, he had a vibration in his feet, at 360kts, at a 45 degree left turn, at 24500'. Really? You want me to figure that out.

Your issue too has so many things. Let's make a list, IMO most possible to least.

- U joints
- Tires worn or out of balance
- Worn brakes, the tab that squeals, telling you it's time for new brake pads/shoes
- Bad brake caliper - one could be grabbing, not releasing like it should.
- Warped rotor, drum
- Front end, tie rods, etc
- Drive shaft out of balance
- Warped wheel/rim
- - Bad transmission (not likely), but it's possible.

These are what come to mind, initially. The first two are inexpensive to fix. Getting these first two fixed are good maintenance practice.

There are many very smart people on the forum...

Let me know, I'm really happy to help with this with you.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would start by removing front driveshaft and go for a test run. 8” of lift is A LOT, which reeks havoc on the front driveshaft angle.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just a 4” BDS lift for a power wagon comes with a clocking ring for the tcase to lower the input a bit for better angles. Does the kit you have have something like that? Or a custom driveshaft?

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
My guess is the MDS is kicking in, then when you barely touch the gas, it turns off. 4 Cylinders shut down and it is annoying. Sounds like a motorboat.
I would start by shifting into manual gear select which disables MDS and see if it's gone. If so, you don't have to do all that other stuff.

I made a living fixing medical equipment in a hospital for a long time so I'm used to vague descriptions. Nurses generally write "Broken" on a paper towel.
I start with the easy stuff first.
Turn off MDS.

OP
OP
Dirtracer27x

Dirtracer27x

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Truck is pretty new with only 40k miles I was thinking driveshaft issues due to the lift, could I have a driveline,place take a look? The mds is kicking on but this noise is super loud, almost sounds like a grinding,heat shield rattle. But only at freeway speeds. Around town it’s fine

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Again, pulling the driveline is relatively easy and is free. Trying it will at least take the driveline out of the equation. Why not just remove it and go for a ride?