8.4 4C UAQ no GPS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joe Merchak

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
Hi

My wife got me the infotainment.com 8.4 radio upgrade kit for my 2018 Ram. The radio is the android auto unit and everything works except got GPS. I contacted their support and they said my sat antenna does not need GPS so I would need a dual antenna multiplexer which I purchased. Installed it and still no GPS. Called them and they gave me a list of thing to reset the radio, still no GPS. I am wondering if there is something in the BCM that telling the radio to turn off GPS because in the GPS status everything is blank and there is no signals. Is there anything in alpha ODB that I can turn on the GPS or do I just have a bad radio.

Yes I know we should not del with them but my wife bought it and she did not know.

Thanks
Joe

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Hi

My wife got me the infotainment.com 8.4 radio upgrade kit for my 2018 Ram. The radio is the android auto unit and everything works except got GPS. I contacted their support and they said my sat antenna does not need GPS so I would need a dual antenna multiplexer which I purchased. Installed it and still no GPS. Called them and they gave me a list of thing to reset the radio, still no GPS. I am wondering if there is something in the BCM that telling the radio to turn off GPS because in the GPS status everything is blank and there is no signals. Is there anything in alpha ODB that I can turn on the GPS or do I just have a bad radio.

Yes I know we should not del with them but my wife bought it and she did not know.

Thanks
Joe

The GPS is entirely internal to the radio. The factory mustard colored plug is your GPS/SXM signal. Does the satellite radio preview channel work? Do you have a link for dual antenna multiplexer they sold you?

Them selling you an additional piece to make it work that shouldn't be necessary is exactly why they shouldn't get your business.

Wife = Good
Infotainment = Bad

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
OP
OP
J

Joe Merchak

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
The part number is 68306656AL

I attached a picture of he connectors. My truck has the USB, Power, yellow and white.

I have not tried just their gps since the connector wont connect to the yellow.

20210608_131952.jpg

OP
OP
J

Joe Merchak

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
SO I did their 4 step rest, no gps. Now I need to decide to put my old one back in ship the unit back to them and wait till they fix it or get a replacement or just keep it since everything works and use it as is since I dont use their NAV anyway as I use android auto. I do loose my compass though...

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
SO I did their 4 step rest, no gps. Now I need to decide to put my old one back in ship the unit back to them and wait till they fix it or get a replacement or just keep it since everything works and use it as is since I dont use their NAV anyway as I use android auto. I do loose my compass though...
Definetly don't keep it. They owe you a fully functional radio.

dwhutch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Definetly don't keep it. They owe you a fully functional radio.

Absolutely, last time I looked at their website they wanted $400 or so more for Nav Android Auto radio than the non-nav radio.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

Joe Merchak

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
I decided to keep it, for now. The difference between the UAS and the UAQ is 100 on there site. They charge 1599 for the UAQ and hub (that I need for android auto) and 1499 for the UAS and hub. I check ebay and the UAS with scratches is going for 900 and the UAQ is going for 1499, both without the hub. They charge $500 for the bezel with controls, the control box and wiring. I know the bezel ranges anywhere from 160-300 on ebay, the module I did not price out yet. The thing is the bezel and control box looked brand new. There was no thread marks in the holes where the bezel screws to the main part and the control box and hub both came in a chrysler labeled box with the part number and description, so not sure where they go them from. I still have 90 days if I change my mind but right now just leave it as I am taking my family camping and I need my truck in operating condition.

If anyone know where I can get a UAQ cheaper, then I would send everything back and just start over.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Why not just have them send you a working unit? Or a UAS replacement if you don't want NAV? Or have them cover the price difference at the very least.

Keeping it is the worst option. If these radios have a failed module, you are setting yourself up for a bricked radio once the next OTA hits. I understand its inconvenient now, but its going to be really inconvenient when you try to get Infotainment to give you any kind of warranty support.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
UAQ's use to be $400 - $600 from the junk yards when this mod was first pioneered by the this forums members. Once the commercial companies somehow figured out the mod, they started buying them all up from the junk yards and now the prices are sky high as you found out. Also, a number of the commercial companies customers come here for support when the commercial company support can't resolve the issue and just gives up. Kind of a sad situation.

OP
OP
J

Joe Merchak

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
Why not just have them send you a working unit? Or a UAS replacement if you don't want NAV? Or have them cover the price difference at the very least.

Keeping it is the worst option. If these radios have a failed module, you are setting yourself up for a bricked radio once the next OTA hits. I understand its inconvenient now, but its going to be really inconvenient when you try to get Infotainment to give you any kind of warranty support.

The dont have anymore UAQ and they are still out of UAS. They said they would try to fix this one.

Here is a question, if you look at the 2018 and 19 Ram parts there is a GPS antenna listed
  • SKU: 5064350AA
  • Other Names: 05064350aa, Antenna-Global Positioning
for navigation. It has a blue connector but there is no blue connector on the radio or in my dash. Do you think that is what this radio needs?

OP
OP
J

Joe Merchak

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
Also would this radio even get a OTA since there is no cell antenna or do they do it over the SAT antenna?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
The dont have anymore UAQ and they are still out of UAS. They said they would try to fix this one.

Here is a question, if you look at the 2018 and 19 Ram parts there is a GPS antenna listed
  • SKU: 5064350AA
  • Other Names: 05064350aa, Antenna-Global Positioning
for navigation. It has a blue connector but there is no blue connector on the radio or in my dash. Do you think that is what this radio needs?
In your truck, the factory GPS antenna is the mustard plug (which doubles as SXM antenna too).
Also would this radio even get a OTA since there is no cell antenna or do they do it over the SAT antenna?
Its very possible. They still get cellular service without the cell antenna plugged in. It is possible to open the radio and unplug the antenna internally too which effectively killed the cell reception for me.

Its possible your GPS issue is due to Infotainment refurbishing the radio and forgetting to reconnect the internal connection for GPS too (or damaging the internal connection).

18harvest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
isnt the gps the pink plug that hooks to the gps antenna that is attached to the dash bar behind the radio?also a factory shark fin has both doesn't it mustard for sat and purple for gps?

w6te

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummings
The same happened to my 8.4" upgrade. It turned out to be a bad antenna. They said they had a bad run of antennas from their supplier.