Uconnect 8.4 just went dead

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

acolic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So the radio on my 2016 just went dead.

First the radio would take a while to start and now it is completely dead.

I checked the hidden fuse near the brake booster and it’s fine.

Any other secret fuses?

I have heard I can install the head unit of a Uconnect 8.4 4C and get CarPlay.

Is that correct?

Appreciate the advice.

Alex

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Not sure why it isn't working, on idea is that you could check United Radio in Syracuse NY for repair. Replacing with a 2018+ UAS or UAW (non-nav or nav) is an option, you would need a harness from M²Mods in vendor section for it to properly work. Beware certain 2018 units as they had a problem with delamination of the screen.

OP
OP
A

acolic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, the situation is worse.

On a trip today the radio went on and off periodically.

It’s been raining for a couple of days so I’m starting to wonder if there’s a short somewhere.

I checked the ground at the battery and it’s solid.

Anyone know if the radio is grounded to a different location?

If the amp was not working would it prevent the uconnect display from turning on? If so, is it separately grounded?

Thanks for the troubleshooting advice.

Alex.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Have you pulled the radio and checked the main plug? Also check the individual wires to see if any are loose.

OP
OP
A

acolic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A quick update which may help someone else in the future.

Things went downhill pretty fast over the last couple of days.

Not only was the radio going on and off but in the last couple days it stayed off permanently and on top of that the rear parking sensor would deactivate/activate on its own.

Then on Wednesday the truck would not start at all. I checked the battery and it was fine, but it just would not start.

And then it go even more odd in that it would start if I used a booster pack.

So at that point, I got pretty worried it was a computer issue. I broke down and finally took it to my friends shop.

Didn’t take him long to come up with a potential solution. There is a white connecter under the drivers dash that had come partly loose.

Once he cleaned all the terminals and put the white connecter back together the truck would start and the radio worked fine.

What he suggesting is I drive long distances and I use cruise control all the time. And I have long legs so I probably pushed my leg under the dash and against the connector disconnecting it.

He’s zap strapped it so it wouldn’t come out on its own.

He’s not saying this is the solution but for now everything seems to be working fine.

I just want folks to know there’s a white connector under the drivers dash which seems to manage a number of things and you may loosen it if you are not careful.

Alex

Attachments

• IMG_1632.jpeg
    IMG_1632.jpeg
    189.3 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JMIMS37