8.4 audio issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IDSandman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Need some help boys. I would post this in the audio section but that place is really quiet. Mods can move if they see fit.
The audio output to the speakers of my 8.4 just crapped out on me. Worked fine, parked then went back out a couple hrs later and I’m only getting slight sound from RR speaker, zero sound from LR. These speakers are kicker and powered off the deck. My sub with high level from the rear has zero audio.
Next is the fronts powered off the kicker key. Very low volume on the RF and horrible audio with almost no volume on the LF. My kicker key is in Bi amp for the fronts. All this testing is with the fader/balance control. So that tells me it’s a signal issue from the 8.4 and not the amp as the rears are straight off the 8.4.
I did the pull the fuse delio which I have had to do before but to no avail. Even let it sit over night then put the fuse back in this morning before heading to work. I searched this issue without much luck.
Any help/ideas would be much appreciated!!! I’m a very audio savvy guy but not familiar with all the nuances of the 8.4.
This is on a ‘18 1500 ram sport.
Edit to add. Right before this I lost volume control completely. Couldn’t turn it up or down. I also had just loaded spotify not 5 mins prior and just started playing music off my phone from spotify. I wonder if spotify infected my head unit with a virus???
Thanks mucho!!!

OP
OP
IDSandman

IDSandman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Bueller? Spent some time this morning messing with it to no avail. Disco battery and let sit. Touch pos neg batt terminals together for 30sec, removed front amp from system. Nada change. So frustrating.

OP
OP
IDSandman

IDSandman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Welp, looks like I stumped the forum brain trust! Lol. Guess I’ll be calling the local dealer to see if a flash will fix this issue as I’m at a loss.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Is this system stock? Sounds like you have added an amp and speakers?

OP
OP
IDSandman

IDSandman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is this system stock? Sounds like you have added an amp and speakers?
Stock 8.4 uconnect. I did add amp and speakers a while ago and all has been working perfectly until the above event as mentioned. As a test I also removed the amps from the system and still same results. This is a fade/balance issue within the 8.4 uconnect.

co-pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
you might try posting in the audio section .......thats where guru's hang out;)

OP
OP
IDSandman

IDSandman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’d suspect Spotify since the problems started right after you installed it.
I do to but it’s on my phone and the system still misbehaves with just radio or another source. How does one fix this? Have it flashed by a dealer??
It’s also strange since my daughter has connected her phone in the past and run spotify with no issues.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I do to but it’s on my phone and the system still misbehaves with just radio or another source. How does one fix this? Have it flashed by a dealer??
It’s also strange since my daughter has connected her phone in the past and run spotify with no issues.
I know nothing about electronics. Keep that in mind. Can you call ucconect and see if they can diagnose and possibly correct over the air ? Does sound like a software issue.

OP
OP
IDSandman

IDSandman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know nothing about electronics. Keep that in mind. Can you call ucconect and see if they can diagnose and possibly correct over the air ? Does sound like a software issue.
Called them and they did a soft reboot to no avail. Crappy thing is that to diagnose as well as install a couple factory only available software updates the end user/me gets to pay for those updates. Which is complete bs in my book. Hopefully they can fix this issue as well.

Wanted33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Sandman, I had a similiar problem in my '19 Wrangler. Turned the radio on (stock speakers), and there was no sounds to be had. I checked with the folks on the Jeep JL forum, and the fix was was easy but strange. I just changed the output to "AM", and bam there was the sound again. It happened a couple more times over a few months, and it's never happened again in the last 2 years. Good luck, maybe it's that easy fix in your case.

I wish I had more, but tech savvy I'm not.

OP
OP
IDSandman

IDSandman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok, so here is an update.
Called uconnect to no avail. Also there are some dealer only updates that they do not post on the uconnect website which is asinine as well as these updates once out of warranty are to be paid for by the end user/ you/me, wtf!
I got my system functioning again with balance and fade back.
I had to remove ALL speakers from the system and remove the fuse to the head unit in the engine bay, let truck sit for 10 mins. Installed speakers, mind you the fronts are still running through a pac harness with resistors then to an amp, the rears are powered off head unit only. I then put fuse back in and tried the audio, tada. So bizarre and frustrating at the same time.
Welp, hope this helps someone else in the future.

Busman01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2018 Ram 4500 regular cab. It had the 5-in radio I put the 8.4 in there. Previously I only had two speakers one in each front door. The truck has capability of rear speakers and the wiring is there. I installed the speakers but there is no fade control with the new radio. I remove the security Gateway module and put a bypass in there I put the radio back in and I had fade and balance they worked perfectly. I shut the truck down I went back an hour later and the fade was gone again it is not even in the menu on the radio. I am at a loss with this thing. All speakers are driven directly from the radio it is non externally Amplified it is not the Alpine system.

18harvest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I could be and probably am totally off on this but..I think the 8.4 reads resistance from the speaker wires and if not enough no sound.could be for whatever reason it didn't read enough and cut the sound.ran into this with a testing with a t harness before.