8.4 Radio Dead After Failed Update

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nateisa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Never took it out. Got new radio and it works. Has a two year warranty on it. I’m also working on getting reimbursed for radio...I’ll keep you posted on if that happens. Supposedly the check for reimbursement is “in the mail!” But I’ll wait till I get it and cash it and tell how I was able to do that

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow, after reading through all this, it kinda makes me glad that it’s decided to keep my Uconnect subscription after the free trial is over so the system can just keep itself updated, no flash drive necessary. Sorry for all the problems y’all have been experiencing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Check out the 2018 guys and the forced over the air update that destroyed the sound quality.

Letting uconnect automatically update is not the greatest idea. They apparently aren't the best at qa.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check out the 2018 guys and the forced over the air update that destroyed the sound quality.

Letting uconnect automatically update is not the greatest idea. They apparently aren't the best at qa.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

What’s been destroyed on the sound quality? That’s the first I’ve heard of that. Mine’s updated itself twice now I think since I bought it and nothing’s gone awry as of yet. I see they recently made a change to the screen display now. I noticed the other day that it must’ve updated because the dual temps at the top, and the clock has been made a little larger, and the font a little more curvy and smoother but I don’t think I’ve had a degrade in sound quality. The NAV still sucks as usual, tho.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What’s been destroyed on the sound quality? That’s the first I’ve heard of that. Mine’s updated itself twice now I think since I bought it and nothing’s gone awry as of yet. I see they recently made a change to the screen display now. I noticed the other day that it must’ve updated because the dual temps at the top, and the clock has been made a little larger, and the font a little more curvy and smoother but I don’t think I’ve had a degrade in sound quality. The NAV still sucks as usual, tho.

One of the updates was supposed to add volume to the parking assist beeps, it looks like they mucked with the EQ settings to make that happen but it also affected the *main* sound as well.

Big thread on this forum and the one ending with Z.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Never took it out. Got new radio and it works. Has a two year warranty on it. I’m also working on getting reimbursed for radio...I’ll keep you posted on if that happens. Supposedly the check for reimbursement is “in the mail!” But I’ll wait till I get it and cash it and tell how I was able to do that
That's good to hear!

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
One of the updates was supposed to add volume to the parking assist beeps, it looks like they mucked with the EQ settings to make that happen but it also affected the *main* sound as well.

Big thread on this forum and the one ending with Z.

I think I found that thread you’re referring to and I’ll have to take some time to read it since it’s like over 400 pages but that brings me back to your original response to me; from what I read so far, this doesn’t seem to be an automatic software update issue; these seems to be an issue with the update itself but I haven’t noticed any change in my audio, tho.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think I found that thread you’re referring to and I’ll have to take some time to read it since it’s like over 400 pages but that brings me back to your original response to me; from what I read so far, this doesn’t seem to be an automatic software update issue; these seems to be an issue with the update itself but I haven’t noticed any change in my audio, tho.

It comes down OTA and gives you the option to delay it, but it seems eventually you cant delay it anymore and it will install whether you agreed or not.

Look a little further back (Feb 2018) when Uconnect pushed an update that caused head units to just start rebooting over and over again.

I would be asking for my money back if paying for Uconnect got me "automatic" updates. I honestly dont think the automatic part has anything to do with Uconnect service, I think its controlled on their end whether it goes OTA or not.

Even more disturbing is that they dont have a way to let head units go back to previous updates.

Nateisa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got the check for reimbursement! Uconnect covered cost of replacement. I updated my radio based on some direct messages from twitter that I got from uconnect. When I followed there recommendations radio froze for weeks. See previous messages. Went to dealer for new radio and paid out of pocket. Contacted uconnect and said politely I felt they we responsible and forwarded messages I had from them to case manager and he agreed and sent check! I only updated radio based on their recommendations and when it froze they made it right. I was surprised as hell!

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Got the check for reimbursement! Uconnect covered cost of replacement. I updated my radio based on some direct messages from twitter that I got from uconnect. When I followed there recommendations radio froze for weeks. See previous messages. Went to dealer for new radio and paid out of pocket. Contacted uconnect and said politely I felt they we responsible and forwarded messages I had from them to case manager and he agreed and sent check! I only updated radio based on their recommendations and when it froze they made it right. I was surprised as hell!
That's good to hear that they took care of you!

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

DXBADBOY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel V6
Last night I was out in the truck for 4 hours until midnight following the rules on the U connect site... Here is my advice don't bother following the rules... This morning...I used a PNY 8 gigabyte flash drive... and left the truck in the "accessory" position... and the update went thru on the FIRST TRY!!! Everything works perfect!!! Thank God...

Irongoats

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine took three times ove rthe weekend. Had to reformat sd card then downloaded update twice to get it to work. All good.