8.4 screen dead when truck is started, then it works

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Victor Feldman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins Diesel
Hello all,

I just bought this 2013 Ram 3500 Longhorn last week. I am seeing a problem in the 8.4 uconnect system. When I first start the truck in the morning, the screen is total blank. No radio sounds, no back up camera. So far it has come back on after a couple of minutes. I have owned both 2014 & 2015 Rams and neither had this problem. Also noticed this morning that the Nav is stuck at a location about an hour away. It's actually the dealership I bought t from. Being a 6 year old truck it has no warranty.

Any one have any idea what I can try to fix this?

Thanks

Vic

Last edited:

et todd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Had one to do this and it finally quit.not sure what it was but it's in the back board where the air card is.the front board worked with other radios.you could send it to nav repair and get them to diagnose it but they will probably say it's the main board and I think that's like 400 or better.so in other words I would look for a used one.it's not awfully hard to find one under 400.00 and if you get lucky one under 300.00.the one I have know I got off ebay it's a 15 out of a 3500 and I gave 360.00 for it shipped.I would say 450.00 is about average price.

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had issues with the nav system in my 8.4an as well, (2013) GPS showed I was Texas. Everyone was telling me that the radio was inherit to problems and would need to be replaced at a dealer, with the average cost of about $1,500. Spent hours on the phone with Uconnect and Mopar care trying to trouble shoot the thing. One thing I learned that the nav and sat radio are independent of UConnect. Thought of purchasing a used one, but would have no guarantee it would be any better. Found a company in FL that will repair these radios at about a third of the cost of a replacement, and a warranty to go with it. I sent mine into them and they discovered there was an issue with what they called an "air card". Have no idea what that is, but the system works now.

OP
OP
Victor Feldman

Victor Feldman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins Diesel
I had issues with the nav system in my 8.4an as well, (2013) GPS showed I was Texas. Everyone was telling me that the radio was inherit to problems and would need to be replaced at a dealer, with the average cost of about $1,500. Spent hours on the phone with Uconnect and Mopar care trying to trouble shoot the thing. One thing I learned that the nav and sat radio are independent of UConnect. Thought of purchasing a used one, but would have no guarantee it would be any better. Found a company in FL that will repair these radios at about a third of the cost of a replacement, and a warranty to go with it. I sent mine into them and they discovered there was an issue with what they called an "air card". Have no idea what that is, but the system works now.

Can you share the company in Florida's contact information?

OP
OP
Victor Feldman

Victor Feldman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins Diesel
So after some internet research, I found how to reset the radio back to factory specs. Afterwards the Nav knew where it was and the radio has not reset itself yet. But this morning I hit the Nav and it was LBS.

I guess I'll use it as is until it dies completely. The GPS on my IPhone is way more accurate than the truck anyway.

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The company in FL is, infotainment.com I'm having trouble with "copy & paste", but that is web link.