8.4a to 8.4an

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jared4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Bighorn CC
Engine
Current version is 13.44.0 does that mean radio is from a 2013 truck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Probably from a 13. I can't come up with any info on that version. But if it won't take a firmware from a trucks VIN its probably not from a Ram. That's why it won't let you flash it. Could always try a few different vins from other Chrysler cars and see what will actually allow the flash to update. Then at least you will know. Who did you buy the radio from? Last resort I'd send it back.

-JT

badger5828

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500 Sport CC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It seems to work find in my RAM, is it still useable if it didn't come from another ram? There has to be a way to find out what vehicle this radio is from, anyone have any ideas?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
It seems to work find in my RAM, is it still useable if it didn't come from another ram? There has to be a way to find out what vehicle this radio is from, anyone have any ideas?

The VIN from the seller can be looked up on this site:

Dodge - Contact Us

On the left hand side select "equipment listing" and then a VIN lookup will appear in the middle of the page. It will generate the OEM list of options from the factory and tell you the type of vehicle the VIN is. This is all predicated on the sellers honesty.

EDIT: You could call UConnect as well and give them the serial number. They can tell you the original vehicle it was installed in.

Last edited:

badger5828

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500 Sport CC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah the vin they provided says its for a 2015 ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 using this site. Either they gave me the wrong vin or I'm doing something wrong here.

Jared4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Bighorn CC
Engine
The VIN from the seller can be looked up on this site:

Dodge - Contact Us

On the left hand side select "equipment listing" and then a VIN lookup will appear in the middle of the page. It will generate the OEM list of options from the factory and tell you the type of vehicle the VIN is. This is all predicated on the sellers honesty.

EDIT: You could call UConnect as well and give them the serial number. They can tell you the original vehicle it was installed in.
That's what I would do. Too many times people got radios with incorrect VIN numbers. They ended up with Jeep or whatever radios they couldn't update.

-JT

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Yeah the vin they provided says its for a 2015 ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 using this site. Either they gave me the wrong vin or I'm doing something wrong here.

Call uconnect with the serial number. 2 confirmations is better than one.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Probably from a 13. I can't come up with any info on that version. But if it won't take a firmware from a trucks VIN its probably not from a Ram. That's why it won't let you flash it. Could always try a few different vins from other Chrysler cars and see what will actually allow the flash to update. Then at least you will know. Who did you buy the radio from? Last resort I'd send it back.

-JT

That is not really true, I have flashed and know others who have flashed Jeep radios with the download generated from a Ram vin and vice versa. The more likely issue is you are trying to install 2015 firmware in a 2013 or 2014 radio.

The Jeep radios have different part numbers from the Rams, though if you search the part number you should be able to tell if it was from a Jeep or a Ram.

The fact that it currently has 13.44 on it leads me to strongly believe it is not from a 2015 vehichle. I would try installing 14.25.05 if you can get a copy of it from someone. Even though I believe strongly that your radio is a 2013 or 2014 I would not install the latest firmware that supecedes 14.25.05, because it has been wreaking havoc with peoples radios, causing the nav to blackout and freeze and a myriad of other issues.

Here is a brief synopsis

2013 and 2014 radios share the same firmware and the latest good version is 14.25.05 I would not install 15.26.1 (too many bad problems)
2015 radios have their own unique firmware the latest good version is 15.06.1 I would not install 15.17.5 (too many bad problems)
2016 radios have their own unique firmware, not sure what the versions this radio uses

The latest updates 2013-14, 15.26.1 and 2015 15.17.5 are bricking radios so I will not install them until useless connect fixes the problem. These versions were rushed out the door as knee jerk reaction to fix the hacking threat, boy did they screw it up ill take my chances with the hackers. And since I upgraded my radio from a RA1, I would be SOL if a problem arose.

Last edited:

Jared4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Bighorn CC
Engine
That is not really true, I have flashed and know others who have flashed Jeep radios with the download generated from a Ram vin and vice versa. The more likely issue is you are trying to install 2015 firmware in a 2013 or 2014 radio.
The guys I read about on here trying that had XM issues or nav problems or lost nav altogether. Then tried to flash back and made it worse. I'm no expert, basing this of what I read on this forum.

Try a few different year trucks.

-JT

badger5828

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500 Sport CC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I actually did call uconnect and they told me there was no way to tell what vehicle the radio came out of based off the serial number. Should I try again, maybe I was just talking to an idiot?

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
That may be the case, I have never seen that and if you download it using a jeep vin or a Ram vin you get the exact same files, I compared the two line by line pretty much. What did happen was when they were transistioning from 14 to 15 radios they accidently released the first version of firmware for the 15 radios for the 14 jeep only vins, many jeep owners had trouble with that update as well, uconnect then pulled it and put 14.25.05 back. Not saying that others did not have issues with jeep radios in Rams they may have as we have all seen these radios sometimes do very strange and odd things.

When you called uconnect you were talking to an idiot! But that is likely what you will get. I would try again, but I would try a good parts guys at a dealership he may be able to track it down for you.
What is the part number on the back of the radio.

Last edited:

badger5828

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500 Sport CC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Part number on the back of the radio is 68238619AA, does this indicate anything?

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I installed the latest Firmware on my 2014 the 15 xx.x cant rember the exact number but its the latest one. I am having the Nav blackout issue as well. Can I install the 14 25.5 back into my radio? It worked great with that Firmware just not sure if you can update to an older version or not. I still have the USB stick with the 14 25.5. But don't want to try and possibly make it worse.

Jared4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Bighorn CC
Engine
Part number on the back of the radio is 68238619AA, does this indicate anything?

That shows 15. You tried a 15 VIN, I'm not sure there. Odd.

-JT

badger5828

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500 Sport CC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Weird, maybe I'm doing the update wrong. Is it because I didn't use that akami software maybe?

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Weird, maybe I'm doing the update wrong. Is it because I didn't use that akami software maybe?

It may be and your failure to download and extract the files correctly may have saved you some serious grief. Personally, I would not update it right now wait until thay fix the this nav blackout problem.

badger5828

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500 Sport CC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I doubt it's the issue, but I'll try tonight with akami and see if that helps, why would I lose nav?

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I doubt it's the issue, but I'll try tonight with akami and see if that helps, why would I lose nav?

The new Firmware update is having issues with the Nav locking up and going to a black screen. I have the update and my Nav locked up yesterday and went to a black screen. You can turn it off and then back on and it will work for a while but it's a pain. Cptwing is saying it's probably better if you hold off on the update untill they get this figured out.

badger5828

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500 Sport CC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow, that sucks, I will definitely wait then

Jared4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Bighorn CC
Engine
I bet there will be a few new updates soon.

-JT

badger5828

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500 Sport CC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you think it matters that I have a 2015 ram 1500 and the ra4 I put in is from a 2015 ram 2500?