8 spd transmission Maintenance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fyredude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just my truck in for some warranty maintenance, I ask the dealer about getting my transmission serviced.
They advised me that there was no maintenance needed for my tranny.
Has anyone else heard of this?

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
They say its lifetime fluid. I'll probably change mine in the 100-120,000 km range regardless, but its expensive because the fluid is pricey and the oil pan has the filter built into it.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Just my truck in for some warranty maintenance, I ask the dealer about getting my transmission serviced.
They advised me that there was no maintenance needed for my tranny.
Has anyone else heard of this?

I've had some dealerships tell me this for other make/model vehicles. This is kind of how I determine which dealer service departments are good and which one aren't. If they're not willing to service what they sell, I move on.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've had some dealerships tell me this for other make/model vehicles. This is kind of how I determine which dealer service departments are good and which one aren't. If they're not willing to service what they sell, I move on.

Officially "lifetime" is correct, per the owners manual.

Im not sure I would believe a service department that made up their own interval, either. That just shows they want to service it to get your money, IMHO.

Now, I do not believe in the idea of lifetime fluids. But I would not rule out a service department that said so, in this case, because it is what FCA is saying as well. It all comes down to your definition of "lifetime".

People selling trucks want you to buy trucks, but we want to take care of the one we already have, so we're at odds with them.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Officially "lifetime" is correct, per the owners manual.

Im not sure I would believe a service department that made up their own interval, either. That just shows they want to service it to get your money, IMHO.

Now, I do not believe in the idea of lifetime fluids. But I would not rule out a service department that said so, in this case, because it is what FCA is saying as well. It all comes down to your definition of "lifetime".

People selling trucks want you to buy trucks, but we want to take care of the one we already have, so we're at odds with them.

I hear that. I'm fine with them suggesting to me that the manufacturer recommends "lifetime", but if I'm specifically requesting that a fluid change and pan change be done regardless, quote me a price. If they're so clueless that they don't even recommend that, I wouldn't want them touching it anyway.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm afraid to hear how much they would charge.

The parts are expensive, and of they do the process by the book it could take at least 1-2 hours of labor

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also believe that the dealer going rate is like $800 plus for the service. For that kind of money I would be doing it myself no matter how mechanically uninclined I was. (Not saying that you aren’t) there are plenty of good YouTube videos on how to do the service out there too. And for the record the ONLY time I ever paid anybody to work on a car was back in 89 I was 50 plus miles away from home and one of those new fangled intank fuel pumps went out on me so I paid the dealer $255 to replace it. What a colossal waste of money.I will say that I still enjoy doing my own PMs but fixing broke **** not so much.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
At the moment if you go mopar its about 650 for fluid and pan parts only plus taxes in Canada still over 400 in the US for just parts and fluid if you do it yourself, but there is a special machine I believe is required for getting all of it out. Although mopar says lifetime ZF specifies 100,000 km or 8 years. Maybe FCA just considers lifetime the length of the powertrain warranty

hunter99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The one local dealer here that is good recommends to change it at 60 to 70,000 miles. They have quoted me $600 when I asked. He said it's pretty straight forward to do but did mention about sucking all of the fluid out.