80K miles and wondering what to do

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RAMHON

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 5 4X4
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI® MDS VVT Engine
Own outright a 2106 1500 Laramie Hemi, air ride 4X4. It has had its share of minor typical problems: manifold bolts replaced, complicated leaky sunroof, broken wheel bearings, rear camera failure and a bunch of other relatively minor issues thankfully most covered by FCA warranty. Only other maintenance has been routine oil changes and 3X tire changes. Trying to decide whether to keep or move on and not worry about expensive future repairs/reliability. I still have 5K left on extended warranty but suspect I will need some suspension work shocks/struts in near future not covered by the extended 85K warranty. Any estimates on what suspension maintenance would cost or how long air suspension can be expected to last? Have never had any issues with suspension and it continues to been a great ride but notice as of late not as smooth dealing with potholes. Anyone in this 80K category than can offer insight on other items I might face or should be concerned about going forward? Truck is in great shape and can probably trade or sell for at least $25K. Should I keep or move on?

MAJ_Charlie

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have you called MOPAR directly? They can get you an extended MAXCARE plan. My brother did his last year when he was at 75k and got an additional 5/75 plan. The stealership is not the only way to get a MAXCARE plan.

OP
OP
R

RAMHON

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes I did, Mopar said I had to wait until I got to within 1K miles before they would even quote me an extension but maybe that has changed. I did look at my existing Max care plan (which I did not before) and it seems that the following is covered so will probably bring it in to dealer for a look. If in fact covered, this makes my decision easy to keep:

FRONT SUSPENSION: Shocks; Shock Mounts; Struts; Strut Mounts, Bushings and Bearings; Upper and Lower Control Arms; Control Arm Bushings; Thrust Arms; Upper and Lower Ball Joints; Coil Springs; Torsion Bars; Air Suspension System; Front Wheel Bearings.

REAR SUSPENSION: Rear Leaf Springs; Rear Coil Springs; Auxiliary Springs; Spring Interliner; Spring Bushing; Spring Shackle; U-Bolt Rear Spring; Spring Hanger; Axle Trac Bar; Lateral Link Arm; Shocks; Shock Mount Plate; Struts; Strut Mounting Plates; Strut Bushings; Rear Trailing Arm Assembly; Rear Torsion Arms; Rear Torsion Bars; Rear Stabilizer/Sway Bar; Rear Stabilizer/Sway Bar Link; Rear Stabilizer/Sway Bar Bushing; Rear Wheel Bearings. BRAKES: Master Cylinder, Assist Booster; Wheel Cylinders; Disc Brake Calipers and Pistons; Brake Lines, Hoses, Fittings; Proportioning Valve; Seals and Gaskets. NOTE: BRAKE SHOES, PADS, ROTORS, AND DRUMS ARE NOT COVERED AT ANY TIME.

LugsLeadOut84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I think this is a lifestyle and financial decision that only you can answer.

Me? I had my fill of older cars needing work. I only do minor mods and change wheels or tires but nowadays I feel the 6 year mark is when issues start. I like to have a car under warranty, then flip it shortly after. If I was you, I'd sell it while you can still get a nice chunk for it. I'd put $20k down on a new one, use the other 5k for wheels/tires or whatever you like to change. (This is assuming you consider that money tied-up in the vehicle and will use it for the next one and don't need it for something else).
There are some that like to keep their truck until the wheels fall-off. It's nice not having a payment, but some of what you're not paying goes to repairs, heavier maintenance, etc.
I tried leasing my current truck. I drive less now so it's not a big deal. I won't get into the lease vs buy debate, but I wanted to try it. I like turning it in after 3 years to get a new one. That's another option.

It's a personal decision based on your situation and preferences.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Air suspension stuff can cost you $2-4k outside of your warranty. You can get Kings for that amount :) if you want to keep the truck because it's paid off or super close to been paid off get rid of the air suspension. You have better options that will ride better and will be more reliable in the long run.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Do you like the truck you currently have? Does it still meet your needs?

Financially, it seldom makes sense to buy a new one. Fun-wise, it's often better to put the same money into customization of things you enjoy. Buying new wins on convenience and general play-it-safe-ness.

OP
OP
R

RAMHON

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The truck meets all of my needs and still enjoy it. Appreciate comments - it's really helpful to bounce ideas in this forum and get different opinions.

Leaning towards keeping as there is nothing IMO significantly improved worth looking at and I can't ever see myself owning an electric truck.

RJL1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just went through the same thing with our 2010 Jeep JKUR. At 150,000 miles a bunch of little things were nagging to be fixed as well as the front suspension needed to be rebuilt. We were going back and forth whether to trade it in and get a new JLU or fix the front end and pick away at the small stuff.

We had the front end rebuilt, ball joints, tie rods, axle u-joints, drag link and replaced the trans cooler lines to name a few of the repairs.

I have a few additional things that need to be done, the washer fluid tank leaks when it gets below freezing and I need to replace the soft top this spring and we should be good.

The Jeep drives like new again, happy we kept it.

If you still like your truck, like we love our Jeep I'd just keep it and pick away at the small things and fix the more expensive stuff first.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Manifold bolts lot of trucks do it the Sun roof is normally clogged drains
I would keep it up to you tho its still a baby at 80k lol I have never seen a truck need suspension work at this low of miles I finally had to replace my shocks at 170k I am over 210k now

OP
OP
R

RAMHON

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just got my Mopar Max Care quote at 82K Miles/<1yr remain on existing plan (85K, 2 yrs $100 deduct). The new plan would cost $4,760 (with a $200 deductible for 4 years/60K miles. Looking at new replacement vehicles and finding prices have gone insane with limited availability. Leaning toward getting the extension but still having reservations. Looking for opinions/options.

p.s. Very surprised that other plans with 2yr/3yr made very little difference in cost of new plan. About $4K no matter what....

Last edited:

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
No way in hell I'd gamble that $4,960 worth of repairs (or more if it's more than one deductible) is needed in the next 4 years/60k miles. Keep your truck. Keep your money.

OP
OP
R

RAMHON

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anyone have any experience with Zeigler Auto Group Factory Backed plans for Mopar Max Care extended warranty? Zeigler claims that they sell below Mopar Max Care plan below the Mopar direct plan because they are the largest Mopar volume dealer? Seems too good to be true, not sure how this is legit? Zeigler quoted same plan (4 years/60K miles with a $200 deductible for $3,770, about $1K less than Mopar direct.
https://www.chryslerfactoryplans.com/default.aspx

Mopar has been doing a hard sell on me and I have been reluctant. Glad I did not impulsively pull the trigger on Mopar direct and did more research in other warranty threads here which is how I stumbled on Zeigler. Still not sure if I will get a warranty extension but at least I bought myself some more time to decide and may save some money if I do.

Last edited: